A Reaktor challenge of sorts

Options

Comments

• DFaught
    DFaught Member Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

@colB , yes this one works and I think you covered most of the elements that Andrew Huang listed in his video. Very nice. It runs at only about 45% on my system which is pretty good for as many blocks as you included. I need to study your description together with the rack for a while to really understand what you built. What was the "racks issue that was completely on your end" if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, this one is great!

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 828 Guru
    Options

What are you running it on, and what sample rate?

I'm using an 8 year old desktop, and this is ~16% cpu for me

• DFaught
    Options

Hm, sounds like I might need to do some tuning or something. My desktop is not very new, I don't really remember how old, but it has 6 cores running at 3.0 ghz, so I always thought it had plenty of CPU for most things. I have always left the sample rate at 44100 hz which might be an issue I suppose.

• DFaught
    Options

Now I'm a little embarrassed, I went looking on the older Reaktor forum about performance and found a few more than the 40+ posts from @colB that show on this new forum. Duh! And I also found one of those threads where Paule posted a ink to a support(?) article about tuning your system for audio. I downloaded the LatencyMon tool and tried it out, made a couple changes and saved about 5% CPU. Not a big deal, but now LatencyMon says my system is suitable. I will probably enable my onboard audio again so that I can use the old PC speakers as a 2nd check when I am mixing. But not a big difference anyway.

I am definitely not an audiophile, but I played with the buffer size for my ASIO driver and it sounded about the same to me everywhere between 32 and 1024. I'm sure the latency changed, but I wasn't really watching that. It might make a difference if I played my guitar through the interface more often.

Here's some specs just because they are handy:

OS version:                      Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19044 (x64)

Hardware:                       GA-78LMT-S2, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BIOS:                         Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

CPU:                         AuthenticAMD AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor 

Logical processors:                  6

RAM:                         16381 MB total

Reported CPU speed (WMI):               3315 MHz

with a Steinberg UR22 and the latest drivers.

• Johnsonwilliam
    Johnsonwilliam Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Yes, you may have that as well. I've noticed numerous articles about how tough it is to work with routes in NI products. Blocks Base and Blocks Primes are installed below C:UsersPublic in my installation, but the other user paths are all below C:UsersDavid, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Could you provide a screenshot of the rack.?

• colB
    Options

Problem was solved! it was a bad install at my end. Not path related. The last version I posted should work fine!

• Solncev_
    Solncev_ Member Posts: 40 Helper
    Options

I am absolutely in love with Blue Set and really want to buy it but I don't understand how to connect it with MAS =(

• colB
    edited February 2022
    Options

I had a look at that cpu, and it's a bit older and not as fast, but should still get better than you are seeing. IIRC, the part to look at isn't latency optimisation, but 'Energy Options and Power Plan Settings', 'Processor scheduling", stuff like that.

Most systems come with various power saving options enabled cpu clock ramping etc. These severely hamper performance on older systems like ours. Basically you need to tell your system to always run at 100%. Other stuff can improve things slightly, but that's the big one in my experience. Modern systems can be different though.

Here's the link:

support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

• Johnsonwilliam
    Johnsonwilliam Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Yes, you may have that as well. I've noticed numerous articles about how tough it is to work with routes in NI products. Blocks Base and Blocks Primes are installed below C:UsersPublic in my installation, but the other user paths are all below C:UsersDavid, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Could you provide a screenshot of the rack.?

• arachnaut
    arachnaut Member Posts: 81 Advisor
    Options

Something I saved from long ago. Tim Exile posted it in a Reaktor forum if I recall.

• DFaught
    edited February 2022
    Options

That's pretty cool! Not in the ambient relax mode, but really interesting as far as musical but random generative. It's got a beat! Not only reasonable melody, but seems to have alternating A and B parts. Nice!

• Seqsual
    Seqsual Member Posts: 42 Helper
    Options

In this case I was probably running Reaktor as standalone application with sequencer rack loaded and sending MIDI directly to Maschine where I had couple of Massive X on separate MIDI channels (yes, I like Massive X very much). Practical if you have Maschine controller as you can flip between "Controller mode" where Reaktor knobs can be adjusted or "normal Maschine mode" to browse through the sounds, adjust, mix them etc...

• Seqsual
    Seqsual Member Posts: 42 Helper
    edited February 2022
    Options

Thanks, running Reaktor/Blue Set (or Reaktor Player) and Maschine side-by-side in standalone modes works fine. MIDI notes are sent from Reaktor to Maschine, clock synchronised to Maschine's transport, etc - there are details about the connections on my website. Btw, I have uploaded today to User Library new sequencing block that should be fun especially with Maschine hardware (will do some demo racks later).

• DFaught
    edited February 2022
    Options

This is no where near as complicated as some of the ones above, and not really in the style I started out looking for, but it's simple and a little fun for an evening. Based very solidly on Eric Reynolds "ASR + Random Gates ..." from the Reaktor User Library but with enough parts added to make it functional. Just playing around.

• colB
    Options

Cool.

One thing to maybe try is to link up two of those 4x mixers (mixers are cheap), with the out of one into the aux input of the other, then you have an 8 channel, and you can separately pan each channel...