Mac OS Monterey and external hard drive issues

Nonda
Nonda Member Posts: 7 Member
edited February 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Hello group made a post last week didn’t get too many answers. Found out some new info. My problem was : updated to Monterey. MacBook 2015 . When I connect my external hard drive traktor lags and freezes when I go through folders . Apparently it’s a Monterey problem with external hard drives . On big sur i had. O issues . I tried yesterday my back up hard drive that was formatted Mac journaled and there was no problem. Is it a traktor problem alongside Mac OS ? Or strictly a Mac OS problem ? I’m sure many of you use external hard drives given most macs don’t have big memory hard drives . Wondering if anyone else has the same issue

Tagged:

Answers

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited February 2022

Are you able to do a test with the apfs format?

Here's a video that might explain things. watch

• Nonda

I’m not sure… not too computer savvy. The one things for sure my hard drive used to work no issues on big sur .

• TeLLy
    TeLLy Member Posts: 71 Advisor

Sounds very much like a macOS Monterey issue for handling external formatted storage - the net is full of complaints and I myself am now dealing with very slow copy performance on my wife's USB-C SSD.

You may want to downgrade your laptop back to Big Sur to stay reliable. Apple has broken a LOT of things with Monterey and Apple Silicon hardware - you should see the Logic forums.

How To Downgrade macOS Monterey To Big Sur, Catalina Or Older - Macworld UK

• Nonda

Thanks telly

actually I have 2 macs still with big sur . My 3rd one I updated to see how it went . Disappointed in Monterey . I usaally like to be up to date with the latest software . Native instruments recommends that as well when they approve compatibility. I’m surprised they didn’t catch anything with external hard drives at least to warn users .I’m sure many people run external hard drives .

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro

Those many people running externals would either be here already complaining or giving solutions. Did you try to first aid the drive yet? (Disc Utility - First Aid) I can't remember if you did.

• TeLLy
    TeLLy Member Posts: 71 Advisor
    edited February 2022

Hang in there dude lucky you've got the two older OSes to fall back on. I'm always a ready adopter of betas but the high-profile gigs and streams were usually done on reliable, N-1 hardware and software. Back when I mattered.

Sigh.