Maschine roadmap

Options

Comments

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro
    Options

Personally I'm a fan of a soft-/hardware ecosystem, as there is a total control on where it is going, f.e. with Maschine and in the past Rig Kontrol for Guitar Rig users, time will (hopefully) tell what to expect or not. @Flexi, you're totaly right that NI is controlled by an investment company for which money comes before the people/musicians. And as you mentioned we should indeed be glad that the OS compatibility was done. @Mutis , your statement on communication makes sense indeed, I never looked at it that way.

As always company take-overs result in an identity crisis with lots of uncertainties and the sound of silence from NI is proof of that crisis over and over again.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

@D-One Please don't, the forum is the only place we've got to make some noise.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited March 2023
    Options

This thread started off nicely, with just a request for a roadmap but got derailed into other stuff... my last piece of advice would be to just focus on asking what you guys want, the main op topic!

Looking back, my urge to quote people on what I consider to be inaccurate statements for the sake of information or any attempts to explain some details just makes it worst... It makes me look like I'm somehow defending NI so moving forward I'll leave the noise for you guys.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

I respect the fact you defend NI and you're absolutely right to focus on the facts. But the fact that several topics (also in other categories) have the tendency to derail is the result of how NI is handling them. Posts/feature requests from over a year old are just ignored, always the same answer.... "we'll report it to product management". I think we all look forward to a discussion with NI on what we would like the see happening (what the platform is build for, imho), but NI needs to be open for discussion, at the moment they are not and it will keep escalating as long as they stick to this strategy.

Apart from that we should try to stay positive and hope for improvement, but I'm tired of asking for feedback over and over again about the tools I hope to keep using....

• basehead617
    basehead617 Member Posts: 130 Advisor
    Options

There is no way they will cancel all hardware lines - Komplete Kontrol keyboards have huge market penetration at both the amateur and pro levels..

I do think Maschine is abandoned though.. personally as a non + user, i don’t need the hardware to do more than it does now - the software is the issue.

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 148 Advisor
    Options
  • Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    edited March 2023
    Options

Market penetration has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything, example, do you think Sony or MS stay in business if they sell their consoles without making money off games, nope, they are bankrupt overnight, the sales of the hardware in that example is a complete loss leader (when it comes to market penetration their shares are huge)

Expansions may keep the hardware alive at NI, but if they decide to open up the Kontrol software to 3rd party hardware, and concentrate on expansion sales, bye bye Kontrol hardware.

• basehead617
    basehead617 Member Posts: 130 Advisor
    Options

Who said anything about bankruptcy? Obviously they need to sell software and packs for their bottom line to work.

I'm just saying Komplete Kontrol is a very successful product line and I doubt they'll discontinue it unless as a whole they just decide they never want to make or support any hardware again. Which is possible but I doubt it.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,287 Expert
    edited March 2023
    Options

Just my opinion: if NI has (or had…) a good place/name in the industry is just because long ago they took the approach of software/hardware been so closely linked to each other.

If the new management doesn’t understand this and decide to abandon hardware, they are really incompetent and they will make NI fail for sure, so…no more money made AT ALL, cause they won’t sell any expansions nor anything else (selling MASCHINE expansions without a Maschine? 😂😂😂)

In any case, I won’t see this happening, since IF they abandon hardware, I will abandon them before this happens (there are maaaany other options nowadays, so if they don’t prioritize their strengths to become “just another company selling packs”, why should I stay with them? I could watch in the neighbors lawn to see if the grass is greener there)

I’m still convinced people buy their expansions instead of others for a reason, and it is the fact they are part of an ecosystem

• LostInFoundation
    edited March 2023
    Options

Plus: putting so much effort in the past years to bring other companies to your ecosystem (see NKS and Kontakt) and then destroying that ecosystem would REALLY display a high degree of incompetence…

And… imagine NI losing their position doing this moves… why should other companies continue doing their products under Kontakt, if it is part of a failed company? So…bye bye to third party Kontakt instruments too…

They HAVE to keep their name up if they don’t want to disappear from the map (and you can’t do that just by thinking “where does the money come from? From expansions? So let’s do only expansions”)

It’s something called “investment”, and sometimes investment doesn’t bring you direct money…but it makes your company being able to make money indirectly… If everybody thought they could make money without investments, we wouldn’t even have an economy…we would still be exchanging 5 tomatoes for a blanket (which…thinking about it, maybe would be better 😂)

• LostInFoundation
    edited March 2023
    Options

What I really struggle to understand, is financial investors buying a company and pondering “what made this company grow so much in the last decades to become one of the big names in the industry? Is it the different approach they took with the hardware/software integration? Ok…let’s abandon it and make them just a copycat of the thousands of companies that didn’t have the same success!”

Seriously… how those guys think is something out of my understanding…or better…I DO understand it, but I don’t like it: they just think how to make some little money in the immediate and then…who gives a f…we will do something else…

• Flexi
    Options

NI became one of the bigger developers by supplying some industry standard software plugins, they then diversified into soft/hardware integration and stagnated.

The investors did not buy NI for hardware assets, they bought it for software IP, mostly Kontakt, Kontakt right now is probably keeping this forum open, keep that in mind, NI is not even a high priority at Soundwide, go read all their press releases.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

Let's hope NI remains an innovative company under the wings of Soundwide. The main risk of a take-over is that they expect the integration to be a piece of cake and something that will work out just fine, but if they become a company with a corporate mindset, I'm afraid it's going to be game over because internal politics will ruin the boldness and guts to make progress. There is a lot of potential, time will tell, but it's very quite on where it's all going.

• Flexi
    Options

I suspect it is less about being quiet, and more that they don't actually know where it is going, NI reps on this forum don't want to say "Look we have absolutely no idea what is going on" publicly it looks shoddy, but go find somebody who works there, it is not that hard, NI is in limbo right now, they are still awaiting their overlords commands.

And yes, that is a horrible position for their staff to be in, but that is very typical of venture capital enterprise.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

I think you're right @Flexi , being an NI moderator must be terrible at the moment, but on the other hand a new reward system is put in place by the same moderators where they state "These initiatives wouldn't have been possible without continuous feedback from you, so thank you for always letting us know what you want!" I'm pretty sure we all asked very frequently for what we want, so what's the purpose if you have no clue where it's going, not the brightest idea/timing when you're not in the ability to provide any roadmap/insights...