I have learned a lot of things about the maschine MK3 STEP sequencer: it is much more powerful that what I thought, indeed!!
The idea: when you are in STEP mode, you should add add one or more "pages" pressing the left.
in these page, each knob will control the pitch of one single note of the sequence: the first knob controls the pitch of the first note (note1), the second knob controls the pitch of the second note (note2) and so on. It does not matter if note1 and note2 have spaces in the grid.
if you add a note in-between the first and the second note, what I called "noted2" previously will be controlled by knob 3 and the knob2 will control the new note of the sequence (that now is the second). just add as many pages are needed to control all the notes of the sequence.
in this way you will have a smart and quick way to edit the pitches of all the notes and you will not loose the existing functionalities.
I know note pitch can be changed by first selecting the note (holding the corresponding step) and then by changing the pitch parameter with the assigned knob. But in my proposal you will be able to quickly change the pitch of each noteof the sequence directly, just as you would do with an hardware sequencer such as this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjNm-6ATeM