First thing to say: I do glitchy wacky Lock State mashing Live Electronica.
So the new generative Tools in 3.7 are just the thing, I didn't know I needed.
I tried the IMO best vst3 sequencer plugins (Hy Seq), but in Maschine these are always a workaround and keep me distracted from the hardware. I don't want to click a mouse button and I just want to look at the screen for occasional checkups.
Otherwise Live performance would suck.
To me, the full potential of the generative sequencer, lies in it being part of Maschine. Compared to Plugins, there's one crucial difference: The ability to Link knobs of Sounds in the same group by selecting them. This opens up a lot of possibilities and Rhythmic transitions, especially with LOCK STATES 🥹
Ever did a 16bar Travel transition, where like… everything changes and then saved the magic that happens in between to another Lock State, for some unforeseen variations in sound?
That's where Maschine is really giving you back what you put into it.
When applying this functionality to the gen. seq. shit get's serious. Because now we're in the domain of transitioning patterns 🧬
Which leads me to the one little, but extremely nasty ,bug' which you should fix or overthink in the next (hopefully soon) update:
It's the Live Mode and the Apply option in the new sequencers.
First off: The ,Live' button in the Variation and Euclidian Modes has no ,learn' option, as it is a menu and not a knob. So you can't assign it to any Lock State. It won't be remembered. Which I don't care about, because when you assign a menu-style parameter to a Macro, the Lock State will magically remember it 💡
It will also ,Jump' to the selected menu-option (Euclid/Random) at the end of the transition, without jittering through tons of options at irregular intervals (e.g. vst3 fx- or wavetable-selection) Which is just nice and makes transitions really drop.
So here's the Problem:
🙏When I use the Live modes in the new sequencers I want it to return to my pre-programmed pattern as soon as I turn it off🙏
When this works, please add a ,Live' Button to the Random Mode as well. So we can use this Button as a (per Lock State) Fill Generator 🤯
I can always hit apply, when I like what I hear. Otherwise things get messed up pretty quickly.
Imagine the following:
Lock State 1: Live Mode Off: Pre-programmed or Pre-generated pattern
Lock State 2: Live Mode On: Euclidian Seq set to whatever sounds nice.
Lock State 3: Same as 2 just with ,Steps' turned up and different settings (per Pad 😉)…
So you can perform a rhythmic transition from Lock State 2-3 and have it drop on Lock State 1.
That's the way 💪
Right now in 3.7, the Live Modes, as soon as I twist a knob, completely overwrite my (maybe extremely carefully programmed 32-bar) pattern. As said, I can always hit apply, when I like what I hear. But I always need to duplicate my original pattern before it get's almost irreversibly messed up.
This will easily and almost everytime, destroy a good live performance as soon as you start using the new sequencers. If you do not stick to them exclusively or use ,jam patterns' or in the end ,jam scenes'. This would take the whole fun (and the mind blowing sound) out of RHYTHMICTRANSITIONLOCKSTATEMASHING future music.
So please make patterns return to their originally programmed state as soon as you exit the Live Modes.
My Pad1 undo button thanks you in advance!
Great update with unimaginable possibilities, if used wisely ;) But it really needs that one little fix, or things get out of hand too quickly.