What Kontakt libraries work with Maschine Plus standalone?

Wilmar Boer
Wilmar Boer Member Posts: 62 Helper

I'm thinking about selling my Maschine MK3 and buy a Maschine Plus. In live situations I use Kontakt's Gentelman, Scarbee MKI and Vintage Organ libraries a lot. It would be really great to play live without the use of a computer. I can't find a list of which Kontakt Libraries are or aren't compatible in standlone mode, only that you get Kontakt Factory Selection with it. I own Komplete 13. But what Kontakt Libraries will show up in the Maschine in standalone mode?

Tagged:

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

None. It’s exactly as stated: Currently only the Kontakt Factory Selection is available for the M+.

• Wilmar Boer

Hmmm that’s not pretty. It’s actually a dealbreaker. Hopefully NI will come up with more compatibility with the Komplete lineup.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,005 Guru

Vintage Organ was recently added to M+

It's sometimes possible to get other stuff working in standalone but it's not officially supported.

• Wilmar Boer

Nice! Thank you!

But how does one get to know that? There’s no mention of it at the Vintage Organ product page. I can’t believe that NI is not putting up a list of what works and what not and what’s on the roadmap. Especially with the Akai MPC Keys out one should thing NI would get it’s marketing and communication in check.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

Because it wasn't recently added to M+, it was mistakenly added to M+ and is not supported at all, nothing gets added to M+ in terms of plugins or expansions, it seems M+ is less of a flagship and more of an embarrassment to the new owners of NI, Soundwide.

• Wilmar Boer

I hope to see a Komplete Kontrol S-series mkIII sometime with onboard audiointerface and standalone sounds via buildin SSD.

• Fabio Barbon
    Fabio Barbon Member Posts: 25 Helper

I've used Gentleman and Scarbee MKI (regularly licensed via Komplete 13) with M+ standalone in many tracks before last update with no apparent playability nor rendering issues.

The trick was to export with samples (uncompressed) from Kontakt desktop and copy the generated file structure on the SD card. The only drawback was that the plugin would go silent after 30 minutes (demo mode behavior I suppose), easily solved by reloading it.

After last update (1.5.x) this trick doesn't work anymore. Even if NI has been kind in supporting me with this issue I ended up not using M+ standalone if I need additional Kontakt libraries, despite owning regular licenses for them (that is frankly a bit weird IMHO).

I'd like to know what other M+ users think about this: if there were an option to enable free installing in M+ standalone of regularly licensed external libraries but "at your own risk" and at the expense of losing right to query NI support on software issues, would you sign?

• Flexi
    edited July 2022

That is unlikely to happen, as is frequently pointed out by a lot of forum users, if it hasn't happened yet, it probably wont ever happen.

The fact that a lot of "unsupported but working" stuff stopped working after the last update should say quite a lot to all of us M+ owners, right now I just hope for user Reaktor ensembles to keep working, even if they did semi break them in the last release.

If they keep breaking or removing stuff like this, they wont even shift the current run of M+, it has a bad enough reputation as it is.

• Tscheggo
    Tscheggo Member Posts: 33 Member

I would try it if it were To use at my own Risk.

For me Vintage Organs Works great on the m + in Standalone.

hopefully they Make the Play sieres Instruments available for m+.

• Wilmar Boer
    edited July 2022

I Like sitting on the couch in the livingroom with the Maschine mkIII on my lap working out ideas. Upgrading to the Plus would make that more simple leaving out the laptop. With all the limitations of the Plus I don't see why it's €350,- more expensive than a MPC One. So as it is now I can do two things.

1) Sell my Maschine MKIII for 350,-, add €700,- and buy a new Maschine Plus for €1050,-

2) Keep my Maschine MKIII and add a MPC One for €700,-.

Option two gives me standalone operation and brings me both Akai and NI ecosystems. So for now no Plus for me. I hope NI is reading in on this.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

Looking forward to reading how you like the MPC workflow compared to Maschine!

• Flexi
    edited July 2022

Try and find a Live II second hand for that money, the battery and speakers are an absolute boon for sitting on the couch etc, usually I wouldn't even blink at built in speakers, but the Live IIs are actually fairly usable for that sort of quick work, and the battery is a great addition, bigger than the one of course, but has full size pads too.

That said, if Maschine workflow is ingrained in you from many years, it is a steep learning curve.

• Fabio Barbon
    Fabio Barbon Member Posts: 25 Helper
    edited August 2022

In addition to the Maschine+ I've got an MPC, a Force, a Synthstrom Deluge and a bunch of Elektron boxes. Despite all the aforementioned shortcomings and oddities I ended up using the Maschine+ 90% of the time (and Deluge on the remaining 10%).

Akai workflow involves duplicating stuff a lot, and this is a primary drawback IMHO. Maschine has pattern sharing among scenes (plus clips), Elektron has a powerful step-level conditional triggering, Deluge merges the twos... all modern workflows (at least on the DAWless space) offer some abstraction mechanism to allow compact music representation. Given that music composition almost always involves some kind of repetition and considering that you come from a "modern" workflow I'm afraid there's a big chance you'll be disappointed by Akai MPC.