Converting clips to patterns

ElEorstro
ElEorstro Member Posts: 4 Sine
edited July 20 in Maschine

Hi - I’m new to mashine.

I’m using the MK3 with the software on a Mac.

Ive accidentally made a bunch of clips when I wanted to make patterns - is there any way to convert them to patterns ? I did look and can see a lot of tutorials on going from patterns to clips but I can’t find anything on going the other way?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie U.S.A.Member Posts: 1,444 Pulse
    Answer ✓

No clip to pattern conversion...it was discussed in the dev plan, but have heard no mention of it in quite some time...

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

No clip to pattern conversion...it was discussed in the dev plan, but have heard no mention of it in quite some time...

• ElEorstro

Ok so the best option is to just do it all over again :(

• ElEorstro

It’s still not fully clear to me the use cases around patterns vs clips and pros and cons of each.

I actually thought I was making patterns and realised after I had been working in clip mode when I tried to start creating scenes.

i will do some more research and try and get a better understanding of when to use each one.

• Blindeddie

you can copy the events from the clips and past into a new pattern...

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 120 Tri

Unfortunately the implementation of clips has made the workflow arguably more difficult than is 'ideal'

If you do not have a section highlighted when you start a new pattern, then by default, it creates a clip. If it is highlighted it creates a pattern.

Patterns have to conform to legacy behaviour and are immovable and levels have to conform to each other.

Presumably because of legacy restrictions, clips were created to work as a level on top of patterns and are freely movable and do not have to conform lengthwise.

I haven't had time to fully think this through, and someone can probably point out unthought of problems with my thinking, but I'm beginning to think that some of the current clunkiness could have been avoided if, on creation, it only ever created a pattern (thus avoiding having to have the section selected) and a right click 'convert to clip' became the clip creation method. If clips could be converted to patterns then it wouldn't matter so much, but there's been no indication that that was properly on the agenda.