Help us improve this new community - share your ideas and feedback💡

Options

Comments

• NeonBlackCat
    NeonBlackCat Member Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

After a few weeks with this community I have a few things that I find cumbersome to navigate around — especially with navigation! :)

One thing I find is that this community has yet to accumulate enough info/sources/advice etc. to be really useful, especially for new NI user like me and I think one HUGE threshold is that if I search for a specific thing, it’s probably on the old forum, something I only discovered it exists by accident.

So not having access to it from in here makes this whole thing cumbersome to use and mbe prevents new folks from even using this new forum, as they wouldn’t find much useful stuff in here and don’t even bother to participate, as this forum here looks pretty empty and thus not active.

There has to be way on the IT part of having at least the option to search both, new and old, from one central search function? That would make the community so much more useful. Yes it’s work. But you NI already put in the work of scrapping the old forum and programming a new one. That’s just the extra mile to properly link it and make it usable (coz there’s a ton of good info on the old forum).

cheers

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    Options

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, there is no option for us to make the old forum searchable from here. The old platform has 15 years of super useful conversations but also discussions that are no longer relevant or simply misguided. Indexing that content here would make the whole set-up a extra messy imo. One thing we're doing though is looking at the data and making sure the relevant threads are somehow reflected here. We'll start creating more content ourselves to match what users check the most there.

We launched this community less than a month ago and the participation and posting is actually much higher than in the old place, meaning it won't take too long to get the essential back.

If you have anything you'd like to discuss again here, you can also create a thread 🙌

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro
    Options

I don't remember if it's been mentioned already, but the breadcrumbs don't reflect the structure once you are in a subforum

• Murat Kayi
    Options

Another thing: The tags are kind of pointless. I can not create new ones. There is no list apart from "popular tags" which may or may not be a list which helps with the post I am creating. What is it I should be doing? Trying to guess the right tag?

Expectation is I start typing. System offers existing tags which are spelled like what I am doing. I choose one. If there aren't any I create a new one. But result today was I could not be bothered with trying to guess which existing tags might fit my post.

• 202atNI
    202atNI Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited February 2022
    Options

I just stumbled up upon this page. Did someone notice the new forum is awkwardly slow?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

Yes, a bit. Matt said somewhere on this huge thread that they're working on solutions for that.

• Matt_NI
    Options

It was increased last week FYI so you can add more people now hopefully.

• Matt_NI
    Options

Tags should definitely be suggested based on what you type. If you type feature, you'll see the right tag is in fact feature request. Isn't it what you experience?

As for everyone creating tag, this would just be so messy I can't even imagine turning it on. We use tags quite heavily for reporting/tracking and if we had like 10 tags basically referring to the same thing, it would become super inefficient. We do add more quite often though.

• Matt_NI
    Options

We're keeping a close look at loading times and while it looks pretty good (according to numbers), it seems performance isn't consistent across browsers. We'll keep working on it and hopefully it improves over time.

• Murat Kayi
    Options

As for everyone creating tag, this would just be so messy I can't even imagine turning it on.

I was talking about this. When I start to type and the list gets narrowed down to zero, I won't start over trying to guess what I should be using as a tag. If you stick to predefined tags, there needs to be an easier way to see which ones are supposed to fit in with what I typed I guess

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    Options

How can we tell who's a product owner or just a forum member?

• Matt_NI
    Options

Do you mean who actually bought specific software/hardware?

By definition here everyone has an NI product since you need an NI account to use the platform. We don't have specific roles like that if that's what you meant.

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    Options

On the old forum you could see under the avatar "NI product owner" or "Forum member". One even had "Returning customer" lol and a few had some other things.

So everybody on this forum is a NI product owner?

• Matt_NI
    Options

By definition yes but I guess it depends what we mean by product owner. Every single person here has a NI account with software in them (freebies at least). Now if they use it or not is a different question.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

That Tag was based on post count for the last few years, so it really didn't mean anything

This discussion has been closed.