How do I get Absynth 5 into Kontakt 7?

RGP
RGP Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Absynth 5, FM8 and Reaktor 5 are some of my favorite legacy NI products, which still appear in my latest Native Access portal as installed products, but DO NOT appear with available libraries in the Kontakt 7 stand-alone or the plug-in.

I'm on Win 10 but started a long time ago with Komplete 8, then 10. Now running 12. All else with Komplete 12 runs with no issue—I just want my legacy products back to hopefully run as plugins in the DAW.

How-to videos on "batch re-scan" and "adding 3rd party libraries" seemed to point in the right direction, but I couldn't get anywhere with that process since:

I cannot find the library file ("Absynth5.nki" or similar) anywhere on my computer.

Native Access' "Application Location" points to a place on my HD that is an EMPTY folder—yet Native Access claims Absynth 5 is installed?! I really don't understand how this works.

The situation is exactly the same for FM 8 and Reaktor 5… What puzzles me is that I didn't delete anything, yet these libraries are now gone from my HD.

Perhaps there is a way for legacy customers to petition NI for copies?

I'm sure someone else has faced this situation and come up with something… Anyway, thanks in advance for any solution, suggestions, or fundamental explanations that will help.

I get the feeling I'm missing something here.

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,622 mod

The synths don't load inside Kontakt, I think that's where you're having the problem. You should be able to access then from in your DAW as normal instrument plugins. You can also use Komplete Kontrol to load them if you want all the synths in the same place. Which DAW are you using?

• RGP
    RGP Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi mykejb,

Thanks for addressing a basic misunderstanding! II thought everything in NI was governed by a library.

I'm using Reaper 7.25. Taking your advice, I did find that FM8 shows up and I could load it as a normal instrument plugin. It works! However, Reaktor 5 and Absynth did not appear as options:

So, I did a little more investigating and went here:

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit

…and found many DLLs. If I understand this correctly, all I need to do is get REAPER to scan this VST directory, and my missing items could be recovered.

So far though, Reaper re-scans won't identify the plugins in this directory. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll check with the Reaper folks and see if this is a known issue. Anyway, thanks for helping me out.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,622 mod
    edited October 15

Not sure about Reaper but scanning that folder does work ok in Cubase. Most plugins are also VST3 now so I'd have expected Reaper would have found those?