Hold Parameter Values In Next Pattern After Automation

DiosGnosis
DiosGnosis Member Posts: 43 Member

Hey All,

This might be something super obvious that I'm just missing but, I can't seem to get the results I'm looking for.

In Maschine, in Group A, I have an 8 Bar Loop of some chords laid down. In my project, I have Cloud Supply w/ Unikaraine loaded as the preset.

I'd like to have Pattern 1 Automate the Cutoff, raising from 30% to 100%, which I can achieve no problem.

What I'm unable to accomplish is having the next pattern (Pattern 2) repeat the same loop of chords at the value I arrived at for the Cutoff (100%) in the previous, automated pattern.

Thanks and forgive me if the answer is super obvious.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• DiosGnosis
    Answer ✓

Okay… so after a lil finagling, I managed to figure it out without having to add a duplicate group, which if using Maschine+ in standalone, can bog down CPU.

It was a pretty simple solution, albeit, not very intuitive for me at first. Makes sense now I suppose…

Basically, just automate the next pattern, the whole way through, at the parameter value desired.

In my case, I wanted the first pattern to automate the Cutoff to bring the higher frequency range in over the course of an 8 Bar loop of chords(Cutoff = 30% - 100%).

For the next pattern, I wanted the Cutoff to remain at the value arrived at at the end of the previous pattern (Cutoff = 100%). I guess I thought creating a new pattern would keep the value of the knobs at the position I left them in after automation. This is not the case, which is why I had to automate the next pattern with the information I wanted it to playback.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 295 Member
    Answer ✓

My way is thinking upfront so I made whatever I do and save under Lock State, before and after.

I even do Automation+Modulation with Lock States on linear Time Line but I always have several stages of the project because sometimes I want to trigger Lock States in keyboard mode together with the sound for crazy fast sounds.

I use 5 pin MIDI cable for creating MIDI loop so It's controlling everything from the M+ standalone.

In some cases I attach Controller to USB for command Program Change.

I menage to map external MIDI device completely but it's for one specific project - can be whole Album with FX playing for hours.

I hope you will find something useful and maybe inspiring. DM when ever you stuck.

Answers

• Peloncho
    Peloncho Member Posts: 11 Member

Just duplicate the pattern and erase the automation.

• DiosGnosis

But that erases the automation from the previous pattern as well??

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,646 Expert
    edited October 13

That Maschine "feature" is super annoying: Clear Auto erases all automation from all Patterns. Which is probably the one in a million use case.

In order to erase automation for one Pattern Parameter:

Erasing Automation

If you want to discard the modulation you recorded and try again:

▶ Hold ERASE and again turn the Knob you used to record modulation to delete all modulation events for this parameter

The manual further explains Clear Auto:

You can also delete all modulation events for all parameters of the channel:

▶ Press SHIFT + Pad 10 (Clear Auto) to delete all modulation for all parameters of the focused Sound or Group.

Edit: There seems to be no single Command to erase all modulation for one Parameter within the selected Pattern only.

• DiosGnosis

Yeah. This method still erases the automation from the previous pattern as well. For clarity:

• I have an automated pattern
    • I DUPLICATE this automated pattern
    • I hold ERASE and move the automated parameter knob (in my case, the Cutoff)
    • Both patterns now have no automation

Am I doing something wrong?

• DiosGnosis

The current workaround is duplicating the Group, setting the parameter (Cutoff) to the value I want for the next pattern, and copying the midi into that Group's 1st Pattern slot. This seems kind of absurd. Why doesn't the automation input imprint onto the recorded pattern and let me have the next pattern with different automation values?

I must be missing something…

• DiosGnosis
    Answer ✓

Okay… so after a lil finagling, I managed to figure it out without having to add a duplicate group, which if using Maschine+ in standalone, can bog down CPU.

It was a pretty simple solution, albeit, not very intuitive for me at first. Makes sense now I suppose…

Basically, just automate the next pattern, the whole way through, at the parameter value desired.

In my case, I wanted the first pattern to automate the Cutoff to bring the higher frequency range in over the course of an 8 Bar loop of chords(Cutoff = 30% - 100%).

For the next pattern, I wanted the Cutoff to remain at the value arrived at at the end of the previous pattern (Cutoff = 100%). I guess I thought creating a new pattern would keep the value of the knobs at the position I left them in after automation. This is not the case, which is why I had to automate the next pattern with the information I wanted it to playback.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,646 Expert

Indeed… it just tested this and… it is even more super annoying than I remembered!

Obviously it's impossible to erase modulation for a single Pattern with a single command. ERASE always deletes all modulation for all Patterns of the current Group. You can only choose whether you want to erase a single Parameter or all Parameters. Duh!

As you explained, you have to overwrite the existing modulation with new values.

• DiosGnosis

Precisely! I dunno. Seems somewhat cumbersome but I suppose the logic holds in regards to the Maschine 2 software workflow.

My brain wants it to be another way, but accepts the way that it is.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 295 Member
    Answer ✓

My way is thinking upfront so I made whatever I do and save under Lock State, before and after.

I even do Automation+Modulation with Lock States on linear Time Line but I always have several stages of the project because sometimes I want to trigger Lock States in keyboard mode together with the sound for crazy fast sounds.

I use 5 pin MIDI cable for creating MIDI loop so It's controlling everything from the M+ standalone.

In some cases I attach Controller to USB for command Program Change.

I menage to map external MIDI device completely but it's for one specific project - can be whole Album with FX playing for hours.

I hope you will find something useful and maybe inspiring. DM when ever you stuck.