What do you use to expand stereo field in Maschine?

AdelV
AdelV Member Posts: 304 Guru

Hey, simple questions, besides panning, mixing and other techniques - what do you use to expand stereo on groups, sounds?

Stereo imager?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• DiosGnosis
    DiosGnosis Member Posts: 43 Member
    Answer ✓

I've found the stock Freq Shifter a valuable tool. Reduce ALL values to 0% and then play with Stereo, Invert and Mix parameters

If you wanna go a step further, add an FM next in the chain to accentuate the depth and breadth of the stereo field.

The benefit of using the Freq Shifter, in my opinion, is that you can achieve some cool effects if you start adding Coarse, Fine and Feedback into the chain. Bouncing back n forth between the Freq Shifter and FM modules and tweaking the values of the parameters can be super interesting.

I find it most useful with drums and higher frequency sounds/instruments that are percussive or stab-like in nature.

Answers

• OhulahanBass
    OhulahanBass Member Posts: 172 Pro
    edited October 12

Stereo FX are my go to. Is there a reason you haven’t listed any of them? I use allot of chorus, all types as long as they are stereo. I like applying stereo flanger to high end content like cymbals or creatively to synths or delay lines. Rotary is a great one on anything too static, same with stereo delay… stereo reverb… All of these apply motion as well but if you are subtle they can widen things out without stealing focus.

I’m all in on the NI ecosystem so I don’t have much more experience besides Bitwig, but I think NI thrives at stereo modulation and time based FX. Even the stuff that M+ is limited to is either useful, great or superb. I’ve gotten so use to the stock chorus on Maschine I like it better than Choral and sometimes my top notch analog hardware. The filters could use an update, but the rest of those stereo FX are fantastic!

Replika XT or pro or what ever it’s called, is also a fantastic widener, you can get multiple time and modulation stereo FX in that one plug.

I’m pretty sure fancy stereo imager anlgos make smart and subtle use of stereo delay, chorus/flange and reverb. I could be wrong but that is the vibe I get from some. Sennheiser Ambeo or whatever they call it now is a good free spatial widener. I use the Izatope imager on groups or master sometimes but not too often, Izotope master plugs come with allot of latency.

• DiosGnosis
    DiosGnosis Member Posts: 43 Member
    Answer ✓

I've found the stock Freq Shifter a valuable tool. Reduce ALL values to 0% and then play with Stereo, Invert and Mix parameters

If you wanna go a step further, add an FM next in the chain to accentuate the depth and breadth of the stereo field.

The benefit of using the Freq Shifter, in my opinion, is that you can achieve some cool effects if you start adding Coarse, Fine and Feedback into the chain. Bouncing back n forth between the Freq Shifter and FM modules and tweaking the values of the parameters can be super interesting.

I find it most useful with drums and higher frequency sounds/instruments that are percussive or stab-like in nature.

• AdelV
    AdelV Member Posts: 304 Guru

Coo! Thanks! That’s this wich I’m looking for inspiration. 💪

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 674 Guru

I don't typically use stereo widening effects, as they tend to compromise the mono compatibility of my music