Is it possible to transition from one Project song to another in Maschine MK3?

jcp_13
jcp_13 Member Posts: 26 Member

Greetings,

Is it possible to transition from one project song to another that is in different projects with different tempos, but using a scene with effects and sounds to help with the smooth transition (using tempo automation) from one project song to another project song?

I am looking to set this up for a live performance.

If not, how can I put in a feature request?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Tagged:

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,252 mod
    edited October 1

Short answer: No.

Technically… yes, by the way you worded with "Automation", in Maschine Automation is external meaning Maschine-Plugin follows a Host/DAW so if the DAW changes tempo so does the MAS-Plug.

On Maschine standalone SW the answer is mostly "No" since tempo cannot be modulated/automated from itself, but it can still follow the BPM of other software via MIDI Sync or Link, so in this case it might be a "Yes".

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 714 Pro

your best best is to use a DAW, and host 2 Maschine VST's on separate tracks…

i carried this out using x4 Maschine VST's… although you only really need 2…. transitioning will be a tricky affair if you dont map your volumes to Ext 1,2,3,4 etc etc using a midi template… i dont know how other Daws handle this sort of thing…

but i carried this out with Reaper… and although im using x2 maschine Jams, it could be done with a single MK3 and some clever mapping with realearn…. but again this is using Reaper!

i share this clip alot to make the point of how versatile Reaper is, when working with Maschine *shrugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9tHYBoM5nE&t=1s

• jcp_13

Thank you guys,

MAN that SUCKS!!! I would like to do all of that using the Maschine 2 to reduce complexities. This feature would be awesome for live performances.

Is there a place where I can make a feature request?

Thanks

• Impermanence
    Impermanence Member Posts: 156 Pro

I have done this using following. I crammed all my songs in to one project file.
    Then i used lock states to bypass all the plugins not in use in song A.
    Then I created a lock state for transition part from song A to B. Again bypassing everything not in use in that part.
    Then a new lock state for song B and so on.

It was a pain to do the process, but it worked live without hiccups. Next time the process will be easier. I didn’t have anything super cpu hungry going on and I sampled most of the stuff, but not all.
    Maybe having a DAW with multiple instances of Maschine would have been easier, but I wanted to avoid that just to see if it can be done.
    I would be happy if there would be easier system for this. Even ”bypass whole group” option would speed up the process.

• D-One
    edited October 3

Live performance / complex sets was never a focus for NI, it's mainly a production tool.

You can tag a post as a "Feature Request" but I wouldn't bother, there's hundreds out there and this has been asked 1000 times before since Maschine exists.

Best to hope that MAS V3 has some of what you're hoping for… But you also have to consider if your computer can even handle tons of projects inside just one project, if its a live set then say… what? maybe 10? Depending on how you work it will be a lot of Groups/FX/Plugins etc…

• jcp_13

@Impermanence Thank you for getting back to me. How did you do the tempo transition from one tempo song to another? Did you do it manually?

I like the idea of the lock State for the plugins. Can you explain how you did that process?

I am still new to Maschine 2, but it seems like when you want to do some real work, it falls short and/or requires a lot of workarounds. I think they should make Maschine an actual DAW or have a much more seamless integration with other DAWs like Cubase, Logic, etc.

Since NI has such a small development team, maybe the time is better spent on seamless integration with other DAWs.

Maybe there's something I am missing. Thoughts about this anyone?

Thanks.

• jcp_13

I guess you're right, but the Maschine hardware has so much potential, they just need to unlock it.

As for the computer processing, I don't think I should have an issue with processing power. I have the MacBook pro M3 Max, 16‑core CPU, 40‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine and 128GB unified memory.

Let's hope the development team can squeeze in that feature for version 3.0

• jcp_13

Man, I love that you're using 2 maschine Jams, I didn't think of that. You are doing some cool stuff in the video; it has a lot going on. Can you do a version where you are talking through the process? I got a bit lost and not sure what's going on.

I also notice the tempo does not change. Have you ever done it with tempo change between songs?

• 6xes
    edited October 3

heres a video… showing the routing… which might seem complicated, but really its straight forward….

these are of course templates which can be loaded and they are ready to go….

i will look @ making another video… showing the simple process of adding a maschine project into the template within the previous video…. and mapping both the volumes & midi changes(pattern/scenes) to the Mjams

but heres the routing explained in Text, and doing a impromtu keyboard jam messaround whilst attempting to record everything on the Fly…. using my old Windows PC… which struggled.. hence why i upgraded to the m1macmini

with respect to Tempo changes it is easily done, once you map your tempo function to your controller… and although i say its easily done… the way i use Reaper running multiple Tabs as can be seen in this video.. i have faced & overcome challenges in that area… and have another option to overcome the tempo challenges…. i wont go into this, as it is solved, anyway….

edit: this is an old video… using my oldPC, which could only do x2 maschine instances, my options to integrate other music applications since upgrading to a M1macmini16gb has brought a big smile to my face… i hope to do a video of all added applications some time in the future… using just 2maschine Jams to control mostly everything

• jcp_13

Nice, thank you for the video, and looking forward to your next updates. I'm curious, is it possible to have 2 M Jams and M MK3 setup?

• 6xes

i had posted an old post some time back…… which is related to the M1mac, but essentially you can run x2 instances of standalone maschine… which may be helpful in your scenario of wanting to transition…

if of course you are using Windows this method will not apply… but if there was a way on windows to open 2 instances of Maschine…. theoretically you could tie them via the ableton link.. and transition manually, but im so far removed from working with Windows, its something you will have to chase…

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/13001/maschine-shortcut-to-open-new-standalone-instance-macos#latest

• 6xes
    edited October 3

as far as multiple maschine controllers goes… in Reaper YES

you can have X3 or even X4 jams and a maschine mk2 all working(but all operating in midi mode)…. i dont see why a mk3 couldnt be added into the mix as well…

the controllers can use the default maschine mappings(normal) in each of the DAW instances, but only a single maschine&mjam can control a single instance at a time… thats not to say… you cannot assign the other DAWinstances to other controllers as you can… but only a single Maschinemk3 & a Mjam can be tied to a DAWinstance, a added maschine controller in midi mode of course allows you to control things externally while the Mk3&Mjam operate in their default state

in standalone the controllers behave in a similar way

• jcp_13
    edited October 4

Here is an idea. I noticed in your blog that you mentioned Traktor. I have Traktor Pro 4 and the Tracktor Mk2 (I got it a few weeks ago, so I am still new at it). I can link Traktor Pro 4 to Maschine 2 and have the Traktor as the master.
    Let's say I create 15 songs in Maschine, each in its own project. I create a very slim-down version of each song, with several different tempos, and export them to a WAV file. On the Traktor Pro 4, I add those files to a playlist and set up Cues for each section of the song ( like intro, verse, chorus, break, and outro). This is because I can use the Cues to loop those sections and then use the Maschine to trigger patterns. When I am ready to transition from one song to another, I'll do some cool DJing Stuff (which includes tempo and/or beat matching). Once the transition is complete, I load the project in Maschine and start triggering patterns/sounds. I don't have to worry about the tempo of Maschine because it's linked to the Traktor's tempo. Also, you can pre-program all the Cues for each track, so it's there when you load the track.

So, the playlist and project can be as many as you want; you just have to memorize the tempo of each track and make sure you do some cool and slick transitions.

What do you think?

In the meantime, I'm going to try out your setup in Cubase.

@D-One I found your video (I hope it's you) from five years ago. Cubase is my DAW of chose, so I'm going to give it try this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dV3G7wlGTY&list=PLhyD3Y9Kr41O1zhKw7vQjeJT3RpYKV5na

• 6xes

@jcp_13

sounds like you got a plan!! execution of the plan can run you into seemingly brickwalls, but once you know the limitations of software… you will become a problem solver!!

if there were any tools or software i could recommend to you… that would assist in your plan….

Blackhole 64channel is one of those essential free softwares that provide virtual audio ports

i would also recommend Bome midi Translator Pro… for a number of reasons… but you can search youtube for how useful it is…

another very useful application in my view is Keyboard Maestro…. which is mainly used for recording macro's keypresses, mouse clicks, screen focussing etc etc basically automation

and given you have a Mac.. these will come in handy

anyway good luck with the Plan!!

• D-One
    edited October 4

That approach seems doable, since you have a Mac and Traktor I guess you could also consider the following:

You can duplicate the Maschine 2 app and use both at the same time then switch which one the controller is focused using Shift+Instance, this means while one project is finishing you can load the next, with Link enabled in to use Traktor to control the tempo for the transition. Not sure if this is simpler or more complicated than what you suggested but just another option to consider.

@D-One  I found your video (I hope it's you) from five years ago. Cubase is my DAW of chose, so I'm going to give it try this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dV3G7wlGTY&list=PLhyD3Y9Kr41O1zhKw7vQjeJT3RpYKV5na

Yes its me, but I don't think you need such a complicated setup, that video is mostly about recording MIDI to DAW directly from Maschine or via drag-and-drop for more detailed arranging.