Traktor Kontrol S4 MK3 Screens Sluggish to Respond?

REMNANT.exe
REMNANT.exe Member Posts: 12 Member

Hello,

I just purchased a Traktor Kontrol S4 MK3, and it's a hUGE upgrade from my outgoing X1/Z1 setup, but one thing I've noticed is the onboard screens seem to be ever-so-slightly slow to respond to inputs. For example, there's a slight (like 10ms) delay between when I turn the loop encoder and when the screen changes the loop length. To be clear, this isn't a lag in the Traktor software itself, as the computer screen and audio output reflect controller inputs instantly, including loop length changes. This is only on the S4 itself. It's really not a super huge deal, but it did throw me off a bit the first time I started mixing on the unit.

Basically my question is: Is this the normal operation of the S4 MK3? or should these screens be reacting as instantly as the computer software does?

Best Answers

• DJM (Sagar)
    DJM (Sagar) Member Posts: 45 Helper
    Answer ✓

Hi REMNANT.exe. I have been using the S4MK3 since launch and the screens have zero lag. What happens on the screen - display, drawing of things etc. sits in the Resources folder of the Traktor installation. I can only speculate that a reinstall of Traktor may fix it, assuming it isn't a hardware issue. It might be worth putting in a support ticket with NI and see how they can help.

Here is a couple of quick checks:

1. What version of Traktor are you on? 3.5.3 is the latest
    2. Have you updated the S4 MK3 to the latest firmware?

https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/drivers/audiohardware/TKS4MK3_FWUpdater_130_Win.zip

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,214 Expert
    Answer ✓

Now that you say it there is a small delay. But before this thread I did never notice it.

• REMNANT.exe
    Answer ✓

Hey all,

NI got back to me on my support ticket and figured it was worth posting an update here.

I took videos illustrating the screen delay and their service rep said their in-house reference unit behaves the same, so I'm to believe I have a normally functioning S4!

Really appreciate all the input given here!

Answers

• DJM (Sagar)
    Answer ✓

Hi REMNANT.exe. I have been using the S4MK3 since launch and the screens have zero lag. What happens on the screen - display, drawing of things etc. sits in the Resources folder of the Traktor installation. I can only speculate that a reinstall of Traktor may fix it, assuming it isn't a hardware issue. It might be worth putting in a support ticket with NI and see how they can help.

Here is a couple of quick checks:

1. What version of Traktor are you on? 3.5.3 is the latest
    2. Have you updated the S4 MK3 to the latest firmware?

https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/drivers/audiohardware/TKS4MK3_FWUpdater_130_Win.zip

• lord-carlos
    Answer ✓

Now that you say it there is a small delay. But before this thread I did never notice it.

• REMNANT.exe

Hey, thanks for the response. Indeed I have verified I have the latest version of Traktor software installed, and have the latest firmware in the S4 (oddly enough the firmware updater says I have a newer version of firmware than the updater says is available [0.6.1 vs 0.6.0]).

Additionally, I've tested the unit connected to both my iMac and my Macbook Pro, and it behaves consistently between the two.

Have reinstalled Traktor and restarted my computer just to be sure and this doesn't change anything either.

I guess another way to see if your unit behaves the same as mine or not, is when changing the volume or filter amount of a sample in a remix deck. Does the volume/filter line move smoothly and unbroken? Or does it jitter when moved, as if the screen has a rolling shutter effect?

My one other thought is it could have something to do with the power source? Knowing NI is based in Germany they may have only tested units on a 220v power source, and maybe 110v (from my old house with poor grounding) could affect the screen display. I have a 110 to 220 transformer I might be able to troubleshoot with, so I'll report back with those findings if it changes anything.

• REMNANT.exe

(UPDATE)

Changing the power voltage didn't change anything, gonna submit a support ticket with NI just to see for sure if this is the normal operation of the unit or not.

Either way though, it's totally not a dealbreaker on an otherwise incredible piece of gear, just wanna make sure I didn't buy a defective one!

• DJM (Sagar)

Hi @REMNANT.exe,

No screen issues at all in any case here. What's happening with yours is very strange, so let's see what NI say.

Te firmware 0.6.1 is also a very strange thing! May be NI have a way for you to re-flash 0.6.0 onto your device even just to see if there is some corruption in the last firmware install on your device.

• lord-carlos

OP is talking about a very small delay. 10ms

Are you sure it's not the case on your unit?

• DJM (Sagar)

Hi. I'll check closely at my next gig, but I believe that I don't perceive it or don't have it. Currently i am on the original qml files that came with 3.5.3 but in the past I have used screen hacks and all sorts, and still not felt that there was any delay. There are certainly no quirks like the OP mentioned regarding the filter and volume response on the screen for samples.

• REMNANT.exe
    Answer ✓

Hey all,

NI got back to me on my support ticket and figured it was worth posting an update here.

I took videos illustrating the screen delay and their service rep said their in-house reference unit behaves the same, so I'm to believe I have a normally functioning S4!

Really appreciate all the input given here!