Modulation (Automation) Shape Helpers

Kai_NI
Kai_NI Product Team Posts: 60 mod

As a user, I want to be able to quickly apply common shapes for modulation (automation) in order to quickly create effects like linear or exponential ramps for a selected range of events.

This would be further improved through offering the ability to freely draw lines or shapes (i.e. with a line or curve tool) or by offering preset shapes that can be automatically applied to a selected range of events.

61 votes

Collecting Upvotes · Last Updated

Comments

• Kris66
    Kris66 Member Posts: 3 Member

100%! I have missed that for years now with Maschine. It would be a great time saver too.

• Wincent
    Wincent Member Posts: 1 Member

it would make everything more convenient and faster

• Lionzinio
    Lionzinio Member Posts: 37 Helper

where is this voting thing you keep talking about? I can’t find it anywhere. So it’s really hard to let NI know what I think.

It reinforces the sense that NI has no concept whatsoever about UI and the user experience.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,154 mod

?? It's right here in the same place you are commenting…

• ClickOct
    ClickOct Member Posts: 20 Member

WOuld be nice also to be able to select automation points from the event tabs and copy/paste them in the same fashion we do with note events , though I completely missed the ideas suggestion part of the thing . shift+auto could bring new functions I guess , or maybe make use of the Enter/back button if it still exist in all devices somehow

• mikezee
    mikezee Member Posts: 5 Member

so we basicly still in ”vote status ” ?

That basiclly means We are a long Long Away of an sharp update of the machine software .. we just have to enjoy what we have and make the best of it …

• macchinista
    macchinista Member Posts: 45 Advisor

Would this be a software only feature?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,154 mod

Good question, even if it is it would be at least one step closer to being on the HW.

• jakubpatok
    jakubpatok Member Posts: 58 Advisor

This option would be awesome to have. Definitely one of the most important things to implement.

• Hardscan
    Hardscan Member Posts: 3 Member

point to point automation. Example, click start point of automation then click where the end point is, can be any length, similar to adding automation points in Logic Pro.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

I'm finding it hard to understand if the lines /shapes are truly editable, how this is different from true parameter automation.

• Kai_NI
    Kai_NI Product Team Posts: 60 mod

@macchinista It would certainly be a software first feature. Whether and specifically how it would eventually land on the hardware is a different question. But for the purposes of this conversation it would be software.

@tempsperdu There are two possible options here. One is where we keep everything as is right now, but allow a means to automatically apply a given shape from point A to point B. This would be the quickest first step to implement, and allow in todays modulation editor to more conveniently create a linear or exponential transition. A different solution would be anything truly editable as you call it. So being able to draw freely with a line tool or so. This would mean for us to rewrite the entire modulation editor. Which is possible, but just a more demanding solution.
    The latter, so line drawing for the current parameters could be seen as a first step in the grand scheme of things towards true automation. Because we would need drawing capabilities, which would be first introduced on Clip and Pattern level to work towards making them available in a new container format on master level.

@mikezee Yes and no. We are certainly far away from a fundamental overhaul in the automation area, that is correct. But the fact that we are still collecting feedback does not mean that we can not already implement other feedback that we have already received. Ideally we get feedback and input on an ongoing basis to always feed into our stream of work.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

Thanks, Kai, that clarifies things much more.

• kbryarly
    kbryarly Member Posts: 39 Helper

This sort of automation 'drawing' was implemented in Digital Performer years ago. I certainly miss it these days. We could select an automation curve/shape (i.e. sine; triangle etc) then simply swipe across the timeline and the curves were drawn according to our quantize setting. The 'amplitude' of the curves was set by how high or low you started 'swiping' in the automation lane...of course, we did not HAVE to only draw curves of this type. I think it would be nice if we could set the 'automation point density' separate from the quantize grid and then automatic lines would be drawn between the points. For example, the grid may be at 16th notes, but the 'automation density' could be set by the bar - the 'ramps' would be bar length and not cluttered with a ton of useless points.