Purchased 14 Ultimate ... upgrade to Collection?

Rob Ainscough
Rob Ainscough Member Posts: 61 Member
edited October 22 in Komplete General

I went thru the product compare and noticed the "Collection" version has many more samples than Ultimate but no information on those samples.

I guess my question is for "Collection" users, are you happy and is their value in it?

I'm also a bit confused on the price? I went from SELECT 14 to Ultimate 14 for $500, but I'm confused on what the price is to go from Ultimate to Collection $250 ro $300?

As many know, I was a little apprehensive about buying any more NI hardware/software based on my experience with my KONTROL S88 firmware update … but after the craziness has settled I'm liking the experience on my S88.

The samples/loops/instruments that come with "SELECT" are pretty so so, found a few I like but not exactly overwhelmed hence my move to get Ultimate with 1TB of samples. But looks like "Collection" has an additional 500GB of samples.

All responses welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

Comments

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 282 Pro

Well, I'll tell you my experience. When I had ultimate, I never used 75% of what I had. After owning Collector's I don't use 95%. Since then, I have realized that it makes more sense for ME to buy precisely what I want and very little of that is NI product nowadays. But that is me and my own experience, for what it is worth. perhaps I just don't have as much time as other people to listen to 10's of thousands of samples.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 334 Pro

I have UCE and upgraded from 13 to 14.

What you're asking tho, is like asking whats the best colour. Really no one can tell you because its subjective. Much of it I'll never use, but what I do like I liked enough to do what I did. What you need to do for yourself, is evaluate the products you have missing and weigh up whether the ugrade price is worth it.

• Rob Ainscough
    edited June 15

Not sure how I can evaluate what I'm "missing" … which is why I asked this question. If I'm missing it how do I listen to it and use it? I don't believe NI have a "trial" version of Collection?

I'm also assuming 14 is at a big discount because 15 is coming out soon?

95% not used … hmmm … yeah I was wondering how I could possibly have the time to go thru 141,000 samples.

What I was hoping for is someone chiming in and saying "XYZ is a must have that's only in the Collection version" … but it doesn't sound (no pun intended) like anyone can come up with a "must have".

Thanks for the input, I'll put this "Collection" purchase on hold for now.

Rob.

• Jojo123

Well there is a comparison list if you look on the website somewhere. You can find out whats missing there and then delve further into the documentation about anything that catches your eye. There's small samples as well for the products but of course thats not the same as trying it yourself. Im not sure if its for everything, but I think you can download and have a trial version for some things. Another idea is if you're near a store that sells NI stuff. I was able to listen and trial stuff on one of their computers when I was looking. You get either 15 mins or 1/2 an hour on the trial versions.

• Rob Ainscough
    edited June 16

I've gone thru the comparison list per my original post. Unfortunately, the list only provides "counts" not specific listing of samples, instruments, etc.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-14-standard/compare/

Does NI offer a refund period if there is nothing in "Collection" that I need (over my "Ultimate")?

Rob.

EDIT: Ahhh … I found a more detailed list here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-14-standard/compare/#c981851

• Jojo123

Ive just been scouting around here

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-14-collectors-edition/included-products/#c982317

if you click on ech product (eg discover Lores) you can drill down and get more info on each product. I chose a few random products and didn't see anywhere where you could actually trial anything. As I said before, probably the closest you can get is going to a store somewhere like I did.

• Rob Ainscough

Just finished downloading/Installing everything from Ultimate (took about 12 hours and mostly restricted by server bandwidth restrictions from source servers).

Shame no trial, but I understand the difficulties in protecting content. If I can find the sound I want from 80,000 samples, I will take a closer look at “Collection” and/or other sources.

Rob.

This discussion has been closed.