S88 MK1 Keyboard installation problems

Options
Claude Lambelain
Claude Lambelain Member Posts: 8 Newcomer
edited May 25 in Komplete Kontrol

Q: Translation inserted by Moderator (translation by DeepL)

Well, I'm new and not very talented. I bought a second-hand KK S88 Mark I keyboard that seems to me to be in perfect working order. But the installation and the procedure is nebulous to say the least for a novice like me... I installed Native access, Komplete Kontrol (standalone application), specified the ASI driver and the sound card (Steinberg URC16)... Clearly, no sound coming out of the speakers, and half of the buttons not lit on the keyboard.... Help !!!!! and yes, I entered the serial number of the claiver which doesn't appear anywhere on Native Access, I don't even know if it's normal or not? help !! thank you in advance

Community Code of Conduct - Please read before posting : Quote : Our community is currently only available in English. Please be advised that we retain the right to remove any posts in languages other than English.

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,355 mod
    edited May 25
    Options

Which version of Komplete Kontrol do you have installed? If you installed the latest 3.x version it won't work with a MK1 keyboard. You need to download the 2.9.6 version from here -

The other thing to check is that they keyboard is selected under the MIDI section of the preferences in Komplete Kontrol. By default it's not selected so you have to do it manually

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,715 mod
    edited May 25
    Options

Write in English please.

half of the buttons not lit on the keyboard

The buttons not light be a problem with the keyboard.

Anyway then you also need to install the keyboard drivers :

You are supposed to get the hardware serial transferred to your account by seller. Getting the hardware registered to your account ought to give you a free copy Komplete Select If you bought the keyboard second-hand and can not get previous owner/seller to transfer the serial then contact N.I. support and get them to help you (include a picture of purchase receipt and of serial on bottom of device).

Also then as already indirectly informed by Mykejb then the S-Series MK1 keyboards has been declared EOL by Native Instruments which means that S88 MK1 is not supported by the newer versions of Komplete Kontrol. Please see this post for explanation. Also this support article : Notes on Ending Software Support for Komplete Kontrol S-Series MK1 Keyboards , as well as take a look at this support article : Important Notes about KOMPLETE KONTROL MK1 Host Integration.

Using the KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboard as Stand-Alone MIDI Controller

Kontrol S-Series MK1 manual

For hardware serial registration then please contact N.I. Account Support

(You need to use browser with Cookie , Security and Extensions settings that will allow for log-in on the page for the page to work)

Scroll down to bottom of page N.I. Account Support and log in

Then click the Contact support

Then again scroll down and click the Contact N.I. support that shows

Then yes , damn it ! , then you have to click the Contact N.I. support again

1: Do you need help with the activation or installation of a product?

NO

2: Is your question about License Transfers / 2nd hand purchases?

YES

3: We have collected all info around 2nd hand purchases in this overview.

That doesn't help

4: OK. Are you a buyer or seller

Buyer

5 Have you received a License Transfer Token?

NO

6 Have you bought it from a shop (Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Thomann, etc.) or from a private person (Ebay, Facebook, etc.)?

Privately

7 Please ask the seller to request a License Transfer Token as explained in this article.

I Can't contact the seller

8 Please upload a photo of the invoice or receipt from the seller.

(include a picture of purchase receipt and of serial on bottom of device).

You have to take the rest from there yourself since I can not start opening empty tickets just to make a guide for you.

• Claude Lambelain
    Options

HI , thanks for informations.

Unfortunetly, I did what was told me to : I uninstalled the last Komplet K Application that was 3.X.X and installed the one that was given by you : THe komplete kontrol application is not starting under windows. Of course I installed the window version and restarted the computer in case of… Nothing , the application is not starting….. Help again !!! Also there is an adress for drivers… Ok but witch one do I need to install ??? Wich one is the right one to install?…. 😶

• Claude Lambelain
    Options

I'm completly lost….

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,715 mod
    edited May 25
    Options

Driver issue :

Driver for Windows is here : KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series MK1 Driver 4.2.0 - Windows 7 and above

In case needed then here is link for the Firmware Updater for Komplete Kontrol S-Series MK1 1.2.0 - Windows

The Komplete Kontrol app not starting issue is an all together other issue . Try this :

Exit Native Access

then uninstall Komplete Kontrol app using Windows uninstaller if there is an entry in list of Windows apps.

Then download the NI reg tool and remove Komplete Kontrol ,

then reboot computer

Then download Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 (Windows) and install as an Admin .

If that doesn't help then check Antivirus and other programs that can block .

Else uninstall again as above and check the following :

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Allow an app to access controlled folders

block third-party app installations in Windows 11/10 (for how to unblock)

• Claude Lambelain
    Options

So I tryed again and again with Cubase to try to control it from the Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1…. The witness of audio activity say that some thing is apenning when playing the keys,, but nothing on plugin instruments and no sound…. but when I touch the "transport" buttons, some sounds come… !!!! could it be a problem of pilot??? is there anyway to return to an initial (factory) configuration? thanks in advance for your help!!! best.

• Claude Lambelain
    Options

Definitively, THe version of KK 2.9.6 is not runnning… Tried to repair it, re install it, n,o way under windows 11…

Should I try to connect the keyboard in Midi (Dyn) directly on the sound card? ….

• Claude Lambelain
    Options

Or should I cell the keyboard …. :(

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 10,450 mod
    edited June 21
    Options

@Claude Lambelain Sorry to stumble upon your case so late. If you still need help,

Make sure to setup the Komplete Kontrol standalone application before setting up for a DAW. A few articled that can help:

My Komplete Kontrol Keyboard Does Not Start

How to Integrate Your Kontrol Keyboard with Your DAW

• Claude Lambelain
    Options

Ok Jeremy, thanks a lot to come back to me . Here is the situation : Nothing succeded in trying to control the daw with the keeboard… I also tried to get help from Steinberg - (cubase pro 13..) - But still not working anyway.

So finally tried to connect the keeboard direct on MIDI (the out of S88 to the In of sound card only) without crossing by Usb… it is working to control the plug in instruments as well as a plug and play keeboard that I had before… But excepted the 88 keys and confort of the quality of mecanisms, nothing more than playing plug in instruments in CUbase…

Do you mean that if I connect a new time the keyboard and setup it in the application like said, i could access to more controls while connected in MIDI ?

Many thanks in advance for your possible help.

(France is rainny today :)

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 10,450 mod
    Options

To make the keyboard work you need to make the Komplete Kontrol standalone appplication work. Please follow these steps: My Komplete Kontrol Keyboard Does Not Start

Also make sure that Controller Editor is installed as it's needed to ensure communication between your keyboard and your computer.