How to turn off N.A. self-update [Update 2024-05-22]

PoorFellow
PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,159 mod
edited May 22 in Native Access

May 22nd, 2024

Dear all ,

I am not in anyway interested in creating problems for N.I. and as such I have had to take the action of removing this content out of consideration towards N.I. because it has come to my attention that my thread here has been deemed as undesirable by N.I. .

I am sorry about that 🤔

Hopefully things will develop into a state soon where what was here is no longer needed !

Tagged:

Comments

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,627 Expert

There are several other ways of stopping a program from accessing the internet. You could block it from Windows Firewall, from your router, from the Windows hosts file, unplug your network cable…

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,159 mod
    edited May 19

There are several other ways of stopping a program from accessing the internet. You could block it from Windows Firewall, from your router, from the Windows hosts file, unplug your network cable

And yet that is not what people have been asking. What people have been asking is how to turn off the self-update in Native Access (including for 3.xx legacy versions of N.A.) so that is what I have done.

Next to Hayo_NI and the team building in the functionality into N.A. then my solution is not only the most simple 'mod' but possibly also one that could be used cross platform (provided that the same file exists in Mac and that Mac equivalent Hosts file allow for similar redirect ?) and on top of that then as long as the equivalent file exists on older versions of N.A. then it might work also for those 3.xx 'legacy' versions. So frankly I find my solution both a rather simple solution but also a very elegant one. As long as no update is pending then it doesn't even require a renaming of the 'pending' directory. Your suggestions in most cases are dependent on setup specifics , hardware or OS where as my 'mod' stay on specific topic. So please let us not have to waste time discussing your angle or your 'take' on this here , rather then if you are so eager to provide alternative solutions then maybe you should have made/make your own thread with your own good ideas/take/topic on the subject a long time ago ?

Here topic is : Does it work ? For how many versions of N.A. does it work ? Does it work on Mac ? What are the equivalent Mac path(s) ? What is the down sides ? (does it in fact turn off all updating or only the self-update ?) And so on..

• PK The DJ

Wow, somebody's in a bad mood today.

Don't take it personally. I'm not attacking you.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 334 Pro

@PoorFellow

Thumbs up for this thread. Great work! I hope NI see's sense when one of their mods has to speak up on what can only be described as overreach at best and at worst, a wrecking ball as we have been seeing shoved on people with no option. Grrrr BTW for the amount of slogg you've done in this forum, even if I haven't always agreed with what you've siad, you deserve to put on the payroll.

• Rob Gee
    Rob Gee Member Posts: 25 Helper
    edited May 21

Great work but what a joke this is needed. Native Instruments should be ashamed and embarrassed!

If you block it how would you connect to the internet to update all your NI software, you are clearly a genius my friend 😅

• PK The DJ
    edited May 21

you are clearly a genius

Well thank you very much. It's a shame that others apparently can't figure out that the block doesn't have to be permanent, or that my post refers to "a program", not Native Access specifically.

Further explanation shouldn't be necessary. It's not rocket science. 🤷‍♂️

• Scoops
    Scoops Member Posts: 67 Member

Yep,

This is one option

Another option instead of the verbose dialog, is to disable the NTKdaemon at startup

This discussion has been closed.