Connecting Donner DED 200 drums to Kontakt

Options
tomreid26597
tomreid26597 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Apologies if this is a rather silly question - I am very new to virtual instrument platforms and I'm a total novice with all things technology! Ive tried reading around on these forums for answers but often the technical language loses me! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently bought a Donner DED 200 e-drum set and I've been loving it, but decided I wanted some crisper sounding drums so after a bit of research I downloaded the One Kit Wonder - Metal by GGD on to Kontakt 7.

Following my initial enthusiasm of purchasing the drum kit and the one-kit wonder package I'm now actually at the stage of making it all work, and I'm very lost.

I've bought a midi cable, and have connected that to my PC from the drum module. In the options menu of Kontakt I have made sure the DED 200 is 'on' / detected on my inputs / outputs. I've then set the midi channel to what seems to be the same port, and the software seems to be picking up my kit (screenshot below). But I am now completely lost what to do next in order to start mapping the kit to the virtual kit.

Again I apologise for my ignorance, but any help (and just advice generally about how virtual instrument platforms work) would be hugely, hugely apprecaited.

Thank you! :)

Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 535 Pro
    edited May 11
    Options

The first thing you need to make sure of is you have your Kontakt configured to send it's output to your audio device and that's located in the File menu under options/Audio. The next step is to ensure your drum kit is configured to be sending the correct MIDI out that GGD is expecting. If that's all configured correctly you simply need to play the different parts of your kit such as a snare or high hat to ensure it's being played accurately through Kontakt on your speakers.

This is where it can get complex. It's possible you may not hear the drums or you might hear the snare when you hit the hi-hat. That's because it's not unusual for drum kits to have their own MIDI mapping that's different than the mapping GGD is using. Because I don't use GGD that's about all I can tell you because they may have options for re-mapping MIDI for different drums within GGD. That may be covered in your manual or there may be some videos on YouTube that might show you the process. But once all of those things are working correctly you should be able to play your e-kit through the GGD Kontakt instrument.