Can't update, reinstall, or uninstall Kontakt 7. Why?

Options
aidenkatch
aidenkatch Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I cannot update or reinstall Kontakt 7 because I always get the "Update failed: could not uninstall previous version" or simple "Installation failed" error. I tried going back to an old version of Native Access, like 1.14 and same problem. I updated Native Access 2 to latest version and same problem. I uninstalled the registry entry and reinstalled it and same problem. I updated every driver and Windows 11 to the most recent update, same problem. I also cannot uninstall Kontakt 7 because when I go to my Installed apps in settings, it is simply not there despite me being able to freely use Kontakt 7 in my DAW. There is no uninstall .exe either for Kontakt 7 so I permanently have it stuck on my computer with no way to remove it, update it or repair it.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,283 mod
    Answer βœ“
    Options

"Kontakt 7" is not even there, on any drive. It just doesn't exist anywhere on my computer, but I can still run it.

Evidently that is not correct otherwise you couldn't run it.

I can not guarantee that this will help but here is my, at the moment, best shot (The exercise ought at least make Native Access understand that there is no Kontakt 7 on the computer , question is if it is enough to make you able to download Kontakt 7 and updates) :

Exit Native Access

Then delete or move content from the download destination folder

Then use Windows App uninstaller to remove anything Native Access, Native Instruments NTKdaemon, Kontakt 7 if there . (if uninstall hangs on NTKDaemon then just kill the process in Windows Task manager)

Then run the N.I. reg tool to remove any left overs in registry from both Native Access, NTKdaemon, Kontakt 7 if there.

Then, if still there, delete all the following :

Delete the Native Access folder from C:\Users[YOUR User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Native Instruments\Native Access
    Delete the nativeaccess2 folder from C:\Users[YOUR User Name]\AppData\Roaming\nativeaccess2

Delete the nativeaccess2-update folder from C:\Users[YOUR User Name]\AppData\Local\nativeaccess2-updater

Delete the Native Access folder from C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Native Access
    Delete the NTKDaemon folder from C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\NTKDaemon
    Delete the Kontakt 7 folder from C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 7

Delete the NTK folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\NTK
    Delete the NativeAccess XML from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center
    Delete the Kontakt 7 XML from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center

Delete the Native Access folder from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Native Instruments
    Delete the NTK folder from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Native Instruments
    Delete the Kontakt 7.json from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Native Instruments\installed_products

Then download the latest version of Native Access for your OS and run and install it as an Admin

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,150 mod
    edited May 1
    Options

Hello,

have you tried to delete this file:

C:> Users > Public > Public Documents > Native Instruments > kontakt7 > kontakt7.json

There is also a regcleantool from native you could try too:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003509269-Fixing-Software-Update-Installation-Issues-Windows

• PoorFellow
    Options

Because you have tried to be 'creative' by meddling with registry and installing more versions of Native Access then it might require some scrubbing of the computer to recover from this. The tool suggested by Uwe303 may or may not be able to remove enough but if then you would have uninstall and remove both Native Access , NTKDaemon and Kontakt 7. and then try it all over again. I am just not sure that using the reg tool pointed to by Uwe303 will be enough but that you would have to do an even deeper scrub.

• aidenkatch
    Options

Should I just uninstall everything related to Native Access and Kontakt? I tried what Uwe303 said and it didn't work. Not sure what I need to be scrubbing for either.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 522 Pro
    Options

I'd just go to Add or Remove Programs on your Windows and remove all of the NI stuff and start over from scratch, then start with downloading and installing the current Native Instruments program and CAREFULLY install your libraries starting with Kontakt 7. Then download an instrument library, exit Native Instruments and run Kontakt and verify it's there and it works before proceeding.

• aidenkatch
    Options

Yeah I did that already, except in the Remove Programs section on Windows, "Kontakt 7" is not even there, on any drive. It just doesn't exist anywhere on my computer, but I can still run it.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 522 Pro
    Options

I bet if you remove Native Access it won't run.

• aidenkatch
    Options

Nope, still works.

• PoorFellow
    Answer βœ“
    Options

"Kontakt 7" is not even there, on any drive. It just doesn't exist anywhere on my computer, but I can still run it.

Evidently that is not correct otherwise you couldn't run it.

I can not guarantee that this will help but here is my, at the moment, best shot (The exercise ought at least make Native Access understand that there is no Kontakt 7 on the computer , question is if it is enough to make you able to download Kontakt 7 and updates) :

Exit Native Access

Then delete or move content from the download destination folder

Then use Windows App uninstaller to remove anything Native Access, Native Instruments NTKdaemon, Kontakt 7 if there . (if uninstall hangs on NTKDaemon then just kill the process in Windows Task manager)

Then run the N.I. reg tool to remove any left overs in registry from both Native Access, NTKdaemon, Kontakt 7 if there.

Then, if still there, delete all the following :

Delete the Native Access folder from C:\Users[YOUR User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Native Instruments\Native Access
    Delete the nativeaccess2 folder from C:\Users[YOUR User Name]\AppData\Roaming\nativeaccess2

Delete the nativeaccess2-update folder from C:\Users[YOUR User Name]\AppData\Local\nativeaccess2-updater

Delete the Native Access folder from C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Native Access
    Delete the NTKDaemon folder from C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\NTKDaemon
    Delete the Kontakt 7 folder from C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 7

Delete the NTK folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\NTK
    Delete the NativeAccess XML from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center
    Delete the Kontakt 7 XML from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center

Delete the Native Access folder from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Native Instruments
    Delete the NTK folder from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Native Instruments
    Delete the Kontakt 7.json from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Native Instruments\installed_products

Then download the latest version of Native Access for your OS and run and install it as an Admin

• aidenkatch
    Options

Legend! Thank you so much man, it worked. I knew it had to be somewhere on my PC, I don't know why I couldn't just uninstall it normally, I don't really fiddle with files when it comes to VSTs and stuff so it was definitely an anomaly there. Appreciate the help!

• PoorFellow
    Options

You are very welcome , and thank you very much for returning and confirming the fix πŸ™‚