Glitches / Drop Outs with The Grandeur on Mac

Options
adissu
adissu Member Posts: 9 Member

Hi everyone,

I use a MacBook Air 2022 with an M2 chip, 1 GB SSD and 24 GB RAM. On this I run Apple Mainstage and with it the Kontakt Player (free version) with the library "The Grandeur". All software, macOS (Sonoma), Apps, Kontakt Player, Library, etc. is at the latest version.

I use this only in live sessions. During playing, I get in almost every sessions at least one time but sometimes more often drop outs or glitches (how ever you name it) with The Grandeur. This means that I play several keys and randomly the Piano sounds get delayed up to one second for a few seconds and then it works like a charm again. All other plugins like Omnisphere 2, Apple Plugins, etc. with several instances are not affected.

I did not update to Sonoma before it was confirmed by NI (which again took by far too long until it was reported to be compatible, but this is another annoying topic). Also this did not happen on the previous macOS version.

Does anyone else have the same issue or with another library and has any idea how to solve this?

Best Answer

• adissu
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Jeremy_NI : Short update from yesterday, the reinstallation of 7.9 (back from 7.10) helped. Some subtle glitches/delays still happend but it was much better than before. Let's hope it stays like this at least or gets even better with 7.10.2

Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 530 Pro
    edited April 19
    Options

If you look at the release notes for Kontakt there are several "known issues" still waiting to be resolved by Apple. Maybe your unhappiness should be directed there rather than NI who fixed all the things they can.

• adissu
    Options

Thanks @DunedinDragon for your reply. However, none of the known issues seems to address my problem. The plugin does not crash but just has randomly delays during playing live. Anyway, there is a new update of 7.10 of Kontakt Player, so maybe this helps. Let's see...

I placed the question in this forum, since all other plugins I use do not face this issue. Therefore, it seemed to be a logical conclusion for me that the issue more likely is located on NI side than on Apple's.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 530 Pro
    Options

Other than the fact it works without these issues for most people. I've used Grandeur for years with nothing like what you're saying both on older versions and new versions of the NI software as have many other people. So the likelihood is not the plugin but either the configuration of it on your system or, given the history of Sonoma, a bug in the underlying response times from the OS.

NI can do nothing about computer processing lag time in the OS which is what you're experiencing. That's ALL operating system or hardware, and most often it's related to process/task queuing in the operating system for memory allocation or paused threads waiting for notifications from the OS for completed actions, or the timely unlocking of shared memory segments that need to be accessed. Oddly enough many of the known issues NI is waiting for Apple to clear up are just those kind of problems.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Options

@adissu Did you install this library on an external hard drive? What is the format of that drive? We strongly recommend using APFS, as other formats (especially ExFat 32) can cause very nasty performance issues.

Also what version of Kontakt are you using? There was a 7.10 version that brought serious performance issues. Kontakt 7 Unusable on my Mac Studio After Updating to Kontakt 7.10.0

The solution is to use Kontakt 7.9 until 7.10.2 is released (actually in test)

• adissu
    Options

Hi @Jeremy_NI , thanks for commenting. I have everything installed locally on the hard drive and this is using APFS. I also updated to 7.10.0 a few days ago and did not experience any issues so far, however, I was not able to test it longer than a few minutes yet. Next Sunday I will have a session and hopefully can report good results next week.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Options

@adissu 7.10.0 has some serious performance issues that's why we removed it, 7.10.1 introduced issues for Sonoma users so the best for now is to use this version: KONTAKT 7.9.0

• adissu
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Jeremy_NI : Short update from yesterday, the reinstallation of 7.9 (back from 7.10) helped. Some subtle glitches/delays still happend but it was much better than before. Let's hope it stays like this at least or gets even better with 7.10.2