Why has Maschine been taking sometimes over 10 minutes to open?

Options
tempsperdu
tempsperdu Member Posts: 384 Pro

OK, I've submitted things to Centrecode Beta / Bug reports etc, etc, remarkably unsuccessfully, so I'm on a blitz hoping that someone will actually address this issue in something that could remotely be seen as being a professional manner.

It has consistently been blamed on either 'my configuration' or due to the amount of plugins I have.

A kind soul on Gearspace pointed me in the direction of Process Monitor which reveals that all the main NI products, NA2, Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt 7 and Maschine are spending ages scanning and rescanning my VST 3 folder (in the case of NA2, for over 10 minutes) prior to becoming usable.

So what is going on, and how can this be at all helpful to users?

Sorry in advance if I duplicate this is the relevant forums, but I am so sick of being ignored on this issue.

(Windows 10)

Tagged:

Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,935 mod
    Options

Have you tried temporarily moving all your non-NI plugins somewhere else to see if the issue stops, then slowly add back your plugs to see wich one is triggering the issue?

• tempsperdu
    Options

I haven't and to be honest I'm not sure if it is related to NI plugins, rather one or some of the others, or the sheer amount.

Have a look at this screen grab from Process Monitor and you can see the kind of activity it is doing. In theory, here's no reason for it to be doing this at all and this is affecting Maschine, KK, Kontakt 7 and NA2

I am getting a response now from Kai in bug reports, but whether this time anything useful will ensue I have no idea.

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 355 Advisor
    Options

Each plugin has to be validated one by one by an external authority controlling if you are entitled to use the product you bought and eventually let you work in peace probably 😏

• D-One
    edited April 16
    Options

Yes, that's why I mentioned to leave the NI plugs and start debugging other brands...

Theres many reasons to do that, check for licenses/ownership, ilok and similar stuff, updates, check for NKS stuff? etc... the question is why is it always happening, deep scans should only happen when new plugs are detected afaik.

I never had this issue then again I don't use too many plugins, maybe this issue is triggered by one particular plug, hard to know without testing.

• tempsperdu
    Options

D-One

I never had this issue then again I don't use too many plugins, maybe this issue is triggered by one particular plug, hard to know without testing.

LOL ...which is the sensible thing in many ways. If there's any other way of doing it I'd hope to find it, as the time it would take to test over 1000 plugins is not insignificant.

I can't get my head round what can cause pieces of software to perform actions that in theory they are not constructed to do.

• Kaldosh
    Options

Comfort zone

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,361 Expert
    Options

Deeply Vorlon answer… no wonder there’s a „Kosh“ in your name…

(anybody remember Babylon 5?)

• D-One
    Options

Wait... Is that literal? If you have 1000 plugins then you might need to see someone about your hoarding problem, are you making music or building a rocket to Mars? xD Did you buy the full Waves bundle times x4?

On a serious note, I would divide a number like that by "chunks", for example remove 500 out of 1000, if it works its within those 500, then add back another fraction again: 250, 125, and so on... Still it's quite the headache and could take a whole day to debug.

It's up to you if it's worth the trouble to know the exact cause / plugin so you can report with repro steps and get this fixed eventually. If folks at NI dont know why this is happening it will for sure never be fixed.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,361 Expert
    Options

@D-One wrote

Wait... Is that literal? If you have 1000 plugins then you might need to see someone about your hoarding problem

😂 I thought exactly the same!

But then, if you’re working in a professional studio, it might be necessary to have all those plugins available to work on client projects.

• D-One
    edited April 16
    Options

Oh yeah, for a pro studio it makes sense; for personal use it would cause me complete choice paralysis ''humm which one of my 87 EQ's should I use on this hi-hat" then i'd proceed to spend 10 minutes looking for that one EQ and by the time I find it I already forgot what I was gonna do.

Actually, I do wonder if such a high amount doesn't have a significant impact on load times even on a DAW that doesn't have this Maschine Scan issue, @tempsperdu how long does your other software take to load?

• tempsperdu
    Options

The imbecile you are now conversing with is a bona fide example of the perilous nature of FOMO, so much so that I doubt I could even buy in enough courage to actually work out how much I've spent in the last few years and if I did, I think a heart attack would mean I'd never be able to use them. 😥

I'll try and give your approach a go, but it's tricky as being a full-time carer with my own health issues, I don't get much time to spend on these things, and it's so easy to trigger NI stuff into doing a full scan which takes over 2 hours. I actually think the folks at NI couldn't give a flying swear word about fixing it, to be honest. They'll probably never even repair duplication in Maschine.

It is so bizarre that this only affects NI stuff and even more bizarre that in the case of NA2 and Kontakt, they can't even use the majority of any VST 3 stuff.

LOL, So far I haven't had choice paralysis as I rarely get far enough to be using EQ's and compression, and a high percentage of the plugs are either instruments or EFX bought mainly because they were a good deal that I thought I might want later. Now I'm slowly getting on top of things a bit, I can quite honestly advise any others not to do as I did and partly still do.

The other big problem, that many would kill for, is that I get far more ideas than I have time to do, I've got over 3000 on my mp3 player and at least another 1000 that haven't even been rendered out at all. Some of them may actually even generate an income.......well maybe 1 or 2..........................

Regarding other hosts/DAWs...they open pretty much straight way... Bitwig, Reaper, MuLab, Freestyle etc...they are only slow when they have to scan NI products.

@ Ozon

I'm not, nor ever likely to be, working in a studio, this is unadulterated semi, if not full on stupidity in operation. In fact, I've realised that if I'm going to do any proper releases, I should be hiring a studio replete with someone who has good ears, then when I've made as much money as Ed Sheeran, I can buy NI and change the focus onto making good products with good customer relations. 😜

• Kaldosh
    Options

It might start with less ignorant and condescending approaches from users on the forum I guess which would probably would give less facultative work leaving time for more productive things 😁

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    edited April 16
    Options

…or releasing well working, well tested products that won’t bring so many users in the forum with issues to ask for solutions… could be a possibility too…

Or do you mean that TWO guys, Jeremy and Matt, paid by NI to interact with forum (let’s say 3, since lately, after MK3 release, Matthew is quite active too) having to answer sometimes here and there to one of the many things not working as they should is the reason slowing a big company like NI from productivity?

Yeah…surely the blame is on ignorant users so arrogant to ask for their products to work as expected and stopping such a big part of NI members (2) from doing productive things…

• Kaldosh
    Options