Volume variation across several scenes

Options
Quentin7
Quentin7 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hello,

In the Maschine 2 software, when a pattern is repeated across several scenes, is it possible to do a fade-in for 1 sound across all scenes?

I read everything I could find and still don't know the answer.

Thanks,

Tagged:

Best Answers

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 345 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options

You're not repeating patterns if the sound is different between patterns.

You could route the sound to another group and make multiple patterns in the second group. You could also route the sound to another group and use a clip to automate the volume. I hate clips; but they're useful in this specific scenario.

Else; duplicate the patterns so they're unique and make changes as needed.

Personally, I'd route or bounce/render the audio to my DAW and handle it there.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,916 mod
    edited April 15 Answer ✓
    Options

Maschine internally has no automation, only modulation.

Automation is external, meaning something else is controlling Maschine, like a DAW when it's hosted for example... If this is your use-case then it's rather easy to record volume automation on your DAW to then send send to Maschine, otherwise, volume automation (actually modulation) through a whole song is gonna require workarounds or using Clips like @darkwaves said.

Personally, If I need a fade-in or similar only on one Section/Scene or anywhere specific I just duplicate the Pattern/Scene and edit it, as such:

Answers

• darkwaves
    Answer ✓
    Options

You're not repeating patterns if the sound is different between patterns.

You could route the sound to another group and make multiple patterns in the second group. You could also route the sound to another group and use a clip to automate the volume. I hate clips; but they're useful in this specific scenario.

Else; duplicate the patterns so they're unique and make changes as needed.

Personally, I'd route or bounce/render the audio to my DAW and handle it there.

• Quentin7
    Options

Thanks a lot! Super quick and useful answer. I'll search how to do each of those solutions and see what works best for me.

The fact that there is no easier/quicker way to apply automation to a sound across a whole track seems a bit strange to me. I guess I misunderstood the purpose of Maschine 2.

• darkwaves
    Options

You can; as long as you understand and work within the hierarchy of items in maschine. You have patterns that belong to groups. Those patterns go into scenes. Those scenes go into sections of the timeline.

You don't have "tracks" like a DAW. You have things that perform a similar function, but they are different than a typical "track" concept in a DAW. You're not recording audio/midi to a timeline. You're recording to patterns and then referencing those patterns.

They attempted to make it more DAW-like with the introduction of clips. In fact, just converting your patterns to clips would be another option to get you closer to what you're after. You're no longer referencing a pattern; it's kind of putting 'stuff' directly on the timeline. It would be similar to taking a pattern, making duplicating and making it unique and then throwing away the fundamental workflow design maschine was built on because...

...sigh. Don't mind me. I'm just ranting about my hatred of clips.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,916 mod
    edited April 15 Answer ✓
    Options

Maschine internally has no automation, only modulation.

Automation is external, meaning something else is controlling Maschine, like a DAW when it's hosted for example... If this is your use-case then it's rather easy to record volume automation on your DAW to then send send to Maschine, otherwise, volume automation (actually modulation) through a whole song is gonna require workarounds or using Clips like @darkwaves said.

Personally, If I need a fade-in or similar only on one Section/Scene or anywhere specific I just duplicate the Pattern/Scene and edit it, as such:

• Quentin7
    Options

That is very clear. Thank you very much.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 182 Helper
    Options

You can use Lock States on Time Line in Pattern or Arranger mode just connect MIDI 5pin Cable from out to in on Maschine in Standalone Mode and connect empty Group and Pad to Maschine midi Channel 1 and you will be able to play Lock States on headboard C-1 will correspond to C-2.