How to reduce CPU overload with Traktor Kontrol S4 mk3?

Options
RoyOz
RoyOz Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hi,

So got new s4 mk3 and got problems with it — the audio starts freezing, glitching, sometimes cracking with even light tasks for example like having 1-2 tracks playing & 2nd(3rd) is being analyzed for the first time.

I'm having a Macbook Pro 15, 2019

2,3 ghz 8core inter core i9

16gb 2400 mhz ddr3

Did ALL the Mac tuning tips for Audio Processing

So no others app running, no wi-fi, bluetooth, buffer size set even for 512 and sample rate 48000 hz, etc...

also changed the touch bar behaivor

Tried different USB Cables (even 2 from NI), tried different USB-C->USB hubs

Got the latest firmware (0.6.1)

First i tried my working version of Traktor Pro (3.5.1.277) ,

then tried latest Traktor Pro (3.11.1.17) and Ithink it might work a liiiittle better with this version but stil cant perform live with that (3.11)

i've also tried switching with same settings and cables to my other controller (A&H Xone K2) - and its working stable with both versions of traktor even with other applications running.

What might be the problem?

I'm on this task for 3rd day straight and getting really frustrated( please, help

Best Answer

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,686 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Does it overheat? That mbp should fly Traktor without any optimization.

Answers

• NooZ
    NooZ Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

you don't need 48khz go for 44100 and Smaller buffer sizes result in lower latency but can increase CPU load, possibly causing audio dropouts or glitches if set too low ..try it at 1024

• RoyOz
    Options

Tried it also, but still got lags :/ tried both ways and ofcourse, the bigger it gets — the better, but still its unstable, tried even 4096 buffer size

strange thing that changing the buffer size can help just a bit and sometimes it can work without any lags for a minute or two (sometime with even 512 or lower and 4 active looped channels + FX). Then they suddenly appear again even with easy tasks, so it not obvious for me what really affects here the CPU overload

forgot to mention that i have OS X 12.1 (Monrerey) and for that NI recommends with any OS X 10.9 or higher a buffer size of 256 or 512 samples at a sample rate of 48000 Hz, so i tried to stick with 512 and 48000

and the tracks and software is on a internal ssd

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,686 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Does it overheat? That mbp should fly Traktor without any optimization.

• ClickOct
    ClickOct Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Yeah we are talking about an 8 core i9 please for christ sake

• Harald Walker
    Harald Walker Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Am on almost the same system with my S4 Mk3 and am not running into CPU issues. Haven't done any of those tuning tips as this setup is more than powerful enough to do this kind of work.

Main differences: Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1

Any other USB devices connected on the hub? Or other software running (including those that run unnoticed in the background) that might interfere with audio or USB connections?

• RoyOz
    Options

Nah, only controller and a powercable. Tried setup with different Mac which is kind a fresh with OS Ventura and even lower stats, without any of those tips to enhance and everything was super smooth and cool, even could get it at 64 buffer size so i guess it should be something with a my Mac and yeah, would vote for some hidden processes happening, thx!

• RoyOz
    Options

Okay... soooo problem solved — brush and clean your teeth, hair and devices on time :) processor was simply trying to cool down things. Steven's guess was right <3 thx everyone