What are advantages of Maschine+ over MK3, is MPC Live 2 a better choice ?

Options
Atohm
Atohm Member Posts: 11 Member
edited April 5 in Maschine

Hello,

I'm very happy with my maschine MK3 but I'm still wondering on ordering an autonomous Maschine plus. I was just wondering about the date of released of the ne maschine product.

I'd like to move with my maschine Plus in order to make music on holidays and weekend without bringing all my stuff.

The advantage il that maschine plus can work as a controller and like an autonomous production system.

Some MPC are interesting even if I feel the system on these MPC will makes me crazy ...

I really like the way my friend can move with its MPC Live 2 battery and speakers. Even if MPC if totally not intuitive system ...

Tagged:

Best Answers

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 148 Advisor
    Answer ✓
    Options

MK3 + charged-up laptop is more standalone than M+.

I am not familiar with the MPC Live 2, but that one is 100% standalone. You'll have to get used to the MPC workflow, which is mostly a matter of personal taste.

I would go for MK3+laptop.

Before making any decision, and if it's not urgent or essential: NI staff has rumored here they are working on something new. Nobody knows if it will be a software update for Maschine, or 1 or more new controllers. No idea on the timing neither.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    Options

Hello,

that´s a hard decision, no one can make for you, maybe a laptop is a better option. But it all depends on your workflow, do you use more samples or synths, maschine+ can´t run them all but if the stuff is enough for you that maschine+ can run then it´s maybe something for you. But i don´t know all the details what products you can use and not. Hopefully someone with a plus can join here and ad some more details. Also watch some tutorials might help a lot.

• ozon
    edited April 8
    Options

Maschine Plus and MPC Live (2) are great groove boxes and performance samplers each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

For me it’s M+ (with powerbank) over MPC Live especially if you’re used to the Maschine workflow. Bought the MPC Live in 2018, and it’s collecting dust ever since I got the M+ in fall 2020.

However, you have to be willing to cope with severe limitations compared to using Maschine with a laptop computer.

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 68 Helper
    Options

MPC Live 2 is a way better choice. You can load all Maschine Expansions on it the same way as on the Maschine + and avoid all the software bugs. The Live 2 is an amazing instrument, and I say this coming off of MK3 + Jam. I got tired of long load times and bugs in Maschine along with lack of support from NI.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    edited April 8
    Options

If you want to stay with the Maschine workflow, imo the best experience is MK3 and a laptop.

To have a similar experience with M+ you would in any case need a powerbank (for not being tied to wall socket) and a speaker (to not being tied to headphones). Both things that a laptop gives you.

And when I said “similar experience” I was even lying: even with these 2 peripherals you’ll be limited to what M+ can play, instead of having access to all the plugins in your computer.

Although I like my M+, it surely can’t beat the combination of my MK3 and my Surface (which practically is a big touchscreen for my Maschine with access to all my plugins…and my DAWs)

• Atohm
    Options

So I think that maybe I'm just lokking for a battery expansion and portable speaker.

Any Idea of portable stereo speakers ?

MPC Live 2 is aroung 4,6 Kg

MK3 is 2,2 kg

My macbook 13 is 1,4 Kg

So I will add a battery expansion and stereo speaker. I'm also looking for a case to put all of this in.

Any Ideas ?

• MusicIsMath
    MusicIsMath Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Best bet, go with Akai, they are less likely to drop support.

• ozon
    Options

Yeah, that’s why we have to keep around a Mac with macOS 10.6.8 to run AkSys for our Z4/Z8 based samplers.

BTW, the current incarnation of the Akai Professional brand owned by inMusic (2012) doesn’t even exist as long as Maschine (2009).

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,152 Guru
    edited April 9
    Options

People on the NI forum suggesting MPCs? What???!!!

The M+ is a fantastic device, and if you're used to the mk3 controller then it would IMO be the best choice.

Presumably you have an existing Maschine expansion library, your own groups, projects etc. so moving from computer to standalone should be easy. No conversion required.

Don't pay too much attention to the naysayers and the doubters. The Maschine+ is quality, and support has NOT been dropped. I have a battery pack for mine too.

[full disclosure - I own M+ but also Akai MPC X SE, MPC1000, S900, S1000]

• Atohm
    Options

what is your battery pack ?

I really like maschine workflow. What I like in the MPC live 2 is the battery and the built-in speaker.

So I’m looking for portable stereo speakers, battery and a case.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,152 Guru
    edited April 9
    Options

AOHI AOC-P007 power bank and the cable below:

I mainly use headphones but you could use pretty much any portable speaker that has a line input.

• Atohm
    Options

Ok thanks that’s why I looking for an a case and other stuff to put in a case while I’m moving.

I will keep my MK3, my MacBook Pro 13. I will add a power bank

• Atohm
    Options

Is there a clamshell mode in the MacBook that can be awake with the maschine mk3 ?

• enz0
    enz0 Member Posts: 50 Advisor
    Options

Yes, search for an app called caffeine. There may be a way to do it natively too.

As a heads up, intel chip MacBooks can get too hot this way to the point of damage. I personally use clamshell mode exclusively on my m1, no issues

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

You can also just disable "Sleep when the display is off" in power saving preferences.