Kontakt 7 in Live makes projects unsaveable

Options
mdotstrange
mdotstrange Member Posts: 8 Newcomer

Longtime Ableton and NI user-

Kontakt 5,6 work perfectly for me in Ableton on Win 10. I upgraded to Kontakt 7 so I could use the Action Woodwinds pack I just bought + a few other libraries that require Kontakt 7.

If I use Kontakt 7 in Ableton 11 or 12 I'm unable to save the Live project- it crashes Live on save.

Kontakt 6 allows me to save in Live just fine as does every other vst but if I use Kontakt 7 in a project I'm unable to save.

I've already gone through all the steps I've found online- uninstall/re-install Kontakt and Live, deleting registry keys, disabling all Plugins etc-

Again everything else works perfectly on my system in Live including Kontakt 6 but 7 is totally broken for me.

What has changed in Kontakt 7 to make it unusable for me in Ableton and how can I resolve this? Thank you.

Comments

• mdotstrange
    Options

Created a support ticket for this 10 days ago now- still no reply or answers.

Just went to check my request and it says "The activity section which contains your request history is currently unavailable due to maintenance. We will make it available again at a later time."

Is this some kind of joke? What has become of Native Instruments? I never had any issues with any of the Komplete package or any NI products until K7 and now there's no support either.

Is there any version of Kontakt 7 that is stable?

I wouldn't bother with it as Kontakt 6 works flawlessly for me but purchased some new libraries that require 7 that I would like to use.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know- thank you.

• mdotstrange
    Options

For the record Kontakt 5, 6 work perfectly on my Win 10 system.

I've now tried Kontakt 7.6, 7.8.1, and 7.9.0 and they all crash Ableton 11 or 12 when I try to save or open a project- I can use k7 just fine I just can't save a Live project when its loaded- and again k5, 6 work perfectly.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,902 mod
    Options

Of course there is support ! I will call for @Jeremy_NI to please take a look at what is the mishap with the support ticket !

• mdotstrange
    Options

I've found a workaround- if I save a Live project without Kontakt 7 in it then load in Kontakt 7 then I am able to save without a crash-

This works for me. Thanks for the replies!

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 474 Pro
    Options

It sounds to me like you're running a newer version of Live that will load older projects, but won't save them because it requires the project to be saved in the newer Live 11 format. But it should be giving you that popup warning when you go to save it. It you press OK it will take you to where older project was loaded, you just select that and it will save it in the new format.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

I checked in our system and I couldn't find any request from you. Did you use the same email address as for this forum? Do you have a request number? How/where did you submit your request?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

I also posted that in another thread where you posted:

Can you try and reset the database?

Reinitialize the Kontakt Database

1. Click the Windows start button at the bottom left of your screen.
    2. Type "%localappdata%" and click the option that appears.
    3. Navigate to the Native Instruments folder.
    4. Then, delete the following folder: Kontakt 7
    5. Start Kontakt in standalone mode (not in your DAW)

Make sure to run Ableton and Kontakt as admin: How to Run a Program as an Administrator

If after all that the issue persists, can you try to save a project to a different location/drive on your computer, like your desktop? Does it still crash?