Audio latency issues on PC

Options

Hello everyone ,
I have just bought a new laptop, with a Ryzen 5 and 16 GB of ram under Windows 11, to rejuvenate my setup, I migrated and bought my new kontrol s4 mk3 and installed Traktor pro 3 and I am encountering serious problems of audio latency, and it happens at any time! However, I followed the advice that I found on YT, or in the user manual, and I did not find any solutions. So here I am among you, thank you for your feedback to help me.

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 988 Guru
    Options

Excessive latency is expected if using the built in soundcard on that new laptop.

If you want to really start enjoying your setup - you need to ditch Windows audio as fast as possible and get a proper ASIO based audio interface - which should solve all latency issues straight away.

VP

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,948 mod
    Options

I don't know if any of this is applicable in your situation , but here goes anyway :

Quote Jeremy_NI : Ableton did a pretty cool article: Ableton : How to reduce latency

• Fabrizio169
    Fabrizio169 Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Options

thank you for the feedback, but it's just Audio settings mainly for Ableton, there are some similarities but it's not exactly that.

• leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 259 Guru
    edited March 29
    Options

It could be DPC Latency.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Do a test using this software and post a screenshot of the results after letting it run for a couple of minutes.

I would also recommend changing the buffer settings of your sound card.
    Anything under 10ms is great for responsiveness, but it could be putting pressure on the sound card in the S4.

• SteveKDJ
    SteveKDJ Member Posts: 133 Helper
    edited March 30
    Options

Hi.
    ( It's true that I said that I won't comment here anymore, but.. ) This help is like ChatGP. The (Latency) Program, it adds data that can't be stopped without crashing the system...
    As far as I know and listening to others, AMD processors don't like Traktor. I myself have struggled a lot with what to do.
    With help I figured it out and this kind of error and problem is gone.
    Intel5" 12gen processor, AtlasOS (System) (W10, vag W11 installation) this is what I use. i advise you to try it.
    It worked for me. (the new particion.)

Important: Don't use ASIO! leave the plain WDM driver as default.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,798 Expert
    Options

@Fabrizio169 What model of Ryzen exactly? And do you use ASIO? It should be way better to Win drivers…

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 988 Guru
    Options

@SteveKDJ

"Important: Don't use ASIO! leave the plain WDM driver as default".

You are (literally) asking for more latency on Windows by using anything but an ASIO-based driver.

This is the exact reason that ASIO exists.

VP

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 591 Pro
    edited March 31
    Options

You are using the s4mk3 correct?

I have used nothing but Asio for the S4mk3 since windows came out with the Wasapi. Wasapi and any other drivers don't ever work for me with the S8 the S5 or s4mk3 on multiple computers.

The windows drivers (Wasapi) seems to be a bitrate problem. (I assume because when switching bitrates with Wasapi driver things like audio distortion and slow or pitched changes happen randomly. As well as some strange issue in which at startup bitrate will be automatically changed to the highest possible.)

The above description is not a latency or Dpc Latency problem. Dpc Latency is a monster that can drive you insane. Look to my next reply for more about that.

But first try this. Add the Asio driver for the S4mk3. It is already in your Traktor main folder.

• C: > Program Files > Native Instruments > Traktor Pro 3 > Drivers

Do not have the S4MK3 connected while installing and I usually do a complete restart of my computer after any updates before I start Traktor.

Then open Traktor and select the Asio S4MK3 driver it is a good idea to select the bitrate that your internal soundcard uses. Most Windows computers that can handle Traktor made after 2020 use 48khz.

Then open the driver options it will show a pop up panel with all options. Preferably select at least 256 and typically 3ms USB buffer. That is always my starting point. Then select the test area and watch the green bars. If the bars are minimal and rarely jump for about 3 to 5 minutes. Everything should be fine.

If slightly unstable switch to 512 latency. If needed go to the highest setting.

If it is horrible and just red bars and yellow jumps it means some process on your computer is causing spikes and audio problems. Shut down anything running, common things are web browsers, support applications, team viewers, or settings in applications that regularly check something on your computer.

Also if you need to use any application besides Traktor turn off Multi core in Traktor preferences. Turn off or pause any type of automatic updates. I definitely had Traktor crash when Windows updated my Display driver once.

If you have a separate gaming center software, set the performance mode to the highest possible, don't worry about fan noise, cause you will have loud music and won't care. After that exit and go to windows power options. But keep the one the gaming center added, possibly changing a couple things.

Power options should be set to maximum power usage. In the Windows Control Panel make sure any sleep or display settings are set to either always on or a large time like 6hrs. Set your maximum and minimum CPU usage to 100%.

I can't emphasize enough to always check all these settings again after any major Windows updates or Traktor updates, sometimes settings get reset. And always restart the computer again. Always restart Traktor after a lot of changes to settings or things like playlist exports, imports, midi mappings or mapping imports. Most crashes I have ever had are after a lot of changes, testing, or mapping.

Before going live always check to make sure all your settings are correct, any updates are paused or off, power supply is plugged into computer.

Hope this helps.

• zephry
    Options

You shouldn't need to download and use Asio4all, many people get that free software confused with the use of the Native Instruments Asio driver.

If you still have issues after trying the solution that has worked for me on probably 6 different laptops and knowledge I have gained in a decade or so of Traktor use since the S4mk1, then looking into some Dpc Latency and use of the Latency Mon software to try and find the issue will be needed. I can try to help more.

Latency is most commonly referring to a delay between an action that happens like pushing buttons or glitches in gaming.

Dpc Latency in audio is referring to audible clicks and pops and even crashes from processes interrupting your real time audio.

You can also look up your specific model and see if there is an a Dpc Latency audio problem specific to that model. I had an issue with a Dell G7 a few years ago and it turned out to be the support software causing the spikes (pops in audio) by constantly checking and monitoring my computer. I uninstalled and the issue was gone. Although it was over a year before I stumbled on the answer.

There is also a free program called Process Lasso. It is very advanced. But the free version is add free and without changing any settings works well to calm down Dpc Latency issues.

• Fabrizio169
    edited April 3
    Options

j'ai un ryzen 5 et la carte son asio pour le kontrol s4mk3

I have a Ryzen 5 and the ASIO sound card for the Kontrol S4MK3

• Fabrizio169
    edited April 3
    Options

Merci beaucoup pour ton retour et tes informations précieuses , grand merci

Thank you very much for your feedback and valuable information, thank you very much

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,798 Expert
    Options

There is many types of Ryzen 5, my question was what exact model you have. And do you use native ASIO driver of S4 mk3, right? Not ASIO4All or any other ASIO "wrapper".

• Fabrizio169
    edited April 2
    Options

Translation inserted by Moderator (translation by DeepL)

The problem is that it can happen after 5mn, or after 1h15. I've really tried several configurations, at the moment I'm on 256 and 4ms, the system seems more stable, I've really tried everything up to 512 and 1024 in 3mn or 4 ms, in short, it's hard to find your way around. It's a random failure, hence my frustration. Some people think it could be the AMD processor, but I find that hard to believe. Maybe some HP software that's installed from the start could be disrupting the operation. Fortunately I have my old sony PC from 2012 which has no latency problems but is very slow to start up, it's an old sony core i7 without ssd, it's really a very slow pc, which is why I decided to switch and migrate to a new-generation PC!

Community Code of Conduct - Please read before posting : Quote : Our community is currently only available in English. Please be advised that we retain the right to remove any posts in languages other than English.

• zephry
    Options

Please describe the latency problem.

Is it glitching and pops that you hear?

Did you use the test I described in the Asio driver options panel? Please take a screenshot of the Asio panel test so we can see how bad these spikes are.

Try disconnecting the battery in the laptop and running only on the power supply. This will test if the system is checking battery health constantly. I had this cause Dpc Latency spikes in the past.

Try Process Lasso the free version is fine. Don't adjust or change anything just let it run and see if it helps.

If you understand 'affinity", you can use this to force processes on to certain cores. I used this to enable Traktor and another application to work properly on a friends laptop. But you need to know what you are doing or things could get worse. So try it without changes and see if it helps.

https://bitsum.com/

• Fabrizio169
    Options

AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with radeon Graphics 2.10 ghz

16.0Go

64 bits