I cannot update Komplete 14 products.

Options
Hugh Mitchell
Hugh Mitchell Member Posts: 3 Member
edited April 9 in Native Access

Even the most recent Native access does not completely uninstall previous versions so does not allow updates.

Tech support suggest I reinstall windows! It's their problem so they must solve it.

Any one else have the same problems?

Answers

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 948 Guru
    Options

Hugh

Need some more clarity on what you are seeing.

What OS? What Native Access version? What is it you are trying to update (or not update).

VP

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,816 mod
    Options

If you are on Windows and are a bit computer savvy then you ought to be able to remove the old versions and reinstall.

But as Vocalpoint indirectly points at then vague problem descriptions does nothing to describe your problem and unless that you are very specific about it all including , but not limited to ,what products are in question and to where you installed what then it's impossible to even try to assist !

• Hugh Mitchell
    Hugh Mitchell Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I have a PC running Windows 10. I have been a customer of native instruments for more than 20 years and have installed most of their products via CDs which they supplied.
    I recently purchased Komplete 14 and have 31 updates. None of them install via Native Access, the message is that the original cannot be uninstalled. I have correspondence and images with their technical team back for at least six months which I can send you. I have followed all their instructions about how to uninstall programs and used the Microsoft uninstall tool. None of this worked. they told me that a new version of Native Access was being written and would solve these problems. The latest version (3.9.1) still gives the same problems. The last piece of advice I had from them was to completely uninstall windows and do a reinstall. I wrote to Andreas and said what would I do if it didn't work? I had no reply. I would like the problem escalated to higher management but there is no means of doing so. I have contacted their head office in London, the number is unobtainable. There is no complaints button on their website, you just go through technical support which may or may not answer your request.
    Their customer service is appalling. I would like them to consider installing all the software that I have purchased onto a stand-alone USB drive, but they would not consider this. I offered to let them remotely access my PC, and again they did not want to do this.
    Do you know anybody within their organisation who might understand the problems?
    Best wishes,
    Hugh

• Vocalpoint
    edited March 29
    Options

@Hugh Mitchell

"None of them install via Native Access, the message is that the original cannot be uninstalled"

Would love it if you could post a screencap of this error message. What it appears to me is that you are trying to install/update a product that is either not there, not applicable or in a location that NA is not aware of.

And if indeed there are 31 "updates" - that tells me that 31 products ARE being detected and that all of them expect an update. Which BTW - never needs to be "uninstalled".

If a product requiring a update IS detected by NA - it will simply handle the install of the update right over top of the existing install - there should be no reference ever to have to "uninstall" anything.

Again more detail or screencaps would be appreciated.

VP

• PoorFellow
    edited March 29
    Options

Quote : "Do you know anybody within their organisation who might understand the problems?"

No !

My advice is that you do a full image based backup of your computer including a tested as working boot media/USB stick and then take it from there.. Meaning then either scrub/clean the PC using a suitable tool or reinstall Windows as requested !

If you are going to reinstall then remember to de-authorize all that needs de-authorization / uninstall / whatever…

If you want scrub/clean advice then people here can attempt to help you with that.. But you will need to deliver a lot of information to people and it might be a long process. But if you got a full backup then it ought not be a problem if you or anyone else screws up !

• Vocalpoint
    edited March 29
    Options

@Hugh Mitchell

As I suspected - this is a mismatch/non-existant file between a prior version of whatever product (Freak etc) is listed in the message and what the (current) NA expects to see when it reads from the Windows registry.

See the last post in this thread (from Isti-NI) - who explains why this occurs and what to do about it

What this indicates (to me anyway) is that you most likely have a truckload of previously installed products that have install paths baked into the registry (from the past) that do not correspond to actual locations on your drive today - and for certain do not contain the files (.msi) that are required to kick off a silent uninstall that NA 3.9.1 is trying to do when it applies a new update.

"The "could not uninstall previous version" error happens when the msi file does not exist at the location the Registry entry is pointing to, either because the entry got corrupted or the msi-file got deleted."

This is fixable but it won't be a quick one.

VP

• PoorFellow
    Options

I concur with Vocalpoint , quote : "This is fixable but it won't be a quick one."

My advice from above still stands : do a full image based backup of your computer (at least of whole system drive) including a tested as working boot media/USB stick and then take it from there.. Meaning then either scrub/clean the PC using a suitable tool or reinstall Windows as requested ! (backup is the insurance against if mishaps happens or if nothing helps or whatever)

And if you want to try to 'fix' this then you will need to deliver a lot of information to people and it might be a long process. But if you got a full backup then it ought not be a problem if you or anyone else screws up !

So real question is if you want to do all the work that it is to start over from fresh (re-install Windows) or if you want to do all the work it is having other people try to help you !