Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt 7 - Anyone else suffering from loss of sound after update to 3.2?

Options
CGTS
CGTS Member Posts: 12 Member

Everything was working fine until I tried opening an older Cubase project that asked for Kontakt 6 and would not let me passed the dialog until I clicked on Activate Native instruments to progress. I did that and it showed an update required for Komplete Kontrols to 3.2.0. After that Komplete Kontrols only plays certain plugins. All plug in instruments load and I can see keyboard activity in the interface but no sound. The ones that do work, work as normal. (This is in KK Stand Alone.) I have similar problems in Cubase with both KK and Komplete7. In fact Cubase crashes occasionally when testing out KK.

PS. This is not only related to NI vst instruments, it has affected others such as Scarbee EP88 but not Pigments, Project Sam but not Keyscape

Anyone got any ideas? PLEASE!

Best Answer

• CGTS
    edited March 27 Answer ✓
    Options

Now we are are getting somewhere... This is heartwarming.

Firstly, just to confirm, NO! Kontakt had no sound or preview sound at all whilst in Cubase UNTIL after doing the below actions.

Following the action described by @Jeremy_NI did not work as prescribed, however choosing any of the options in 'Factory/' gets me sound.😍 This appears to be only for the loaded instrument. If I try another one, I need to do that again.

I transposed this theory to Cubase and following the same actions was able to get both Kontakt and KK (With a Kontakt instrument) to work as expected.

Once again this is per instrument not a global change.

So that suggests there is a common config file somewhere that perhaps I could edit.

I do now recall following a YouTube Video showing how to set outputs to discreet audio channels so a rack full of instruments with unique MIDI channels could become a multi-timbral stack. https://youtu.be/sz7XKh-bPTA?si=afpyvKtj476DO0oJ I now suspect that test/action permanently changed the way things work.

Then I had an Epiphany. I went back through the video and the process and realized that I must have selected the option to save 'Set current output section state as default for...' ALL FORMATS and this set Kontakt (even in standalone) to lose its typical output settings.

So I went back in and used 'Factory/Stereo x16' and used that 'Save current output blah blah' for ALL FORMATS and all tests out fantastic.

So thanks everyone for all your time in helping me get this fixed. Special thanks to @Jeremy_NI for jumping on to this thread and giving me the clue to the problem.

Lesson Learned: Stop messing about 🤣 or more sensibly, really consider your actions. I am keen to try that Multi-Timbral technique again but will obviously tread VERY VERY carefully and track any changes with a view to Undoing any issues.

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,209 mod
    Options

What version of Komplete Kontrol were you one before the update?

Does the problem only occur with Kontakt-based plugins? Asking as Pigments/Keyscape aren't Kontakt based, but the Scarbee and Project SAM ones are.

Did anything else update at the same time as Komplete Kontrol, or was that the only update?

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,791 mod
    edited March 23
    Options

Is it the same if you run Komplete Kontrol as stand-alone or only when used in a DAW ?

Try downgrading to Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 - Last VST2 supported version if that's what you used before .

However then please notice that some people have had a lot of problems getting their stuff back after having done an upgrade from V. 2.9.6 to 3.xx even after downgrading again !!! If your problem is that you upgraded from V. 2.9.6 and are downgrading again and keeps having problems then check out this thread where JesterMgee from Freelance Soundlabs is assisting a user !

If you upgraded from e.g. V. 3.10 (which I doubt that you did) then there is also a download link for that Komplete Kontrol 3.1.0

incidentally then your profile says Windows 10 and S88 and A49 , if your S88 is a MK1 then please refer to the Notes on Ending Software Support for Komplete Kontrol S-Series MK1 Keyboards knowledge base article !

Also , if need be then there is this : How to Keep Komplete Kontrol 2.9 and Komplete Kontrol 3 on Your System

• CGTS
    edited March 24
    Options

Thanks for responding.

MYKEJB - Not sure what version I was on as I just rely on Native Access to keep things updated but I think it was a 3.? Yes your notion of is it just Kontakt based plugins is TRUE. I tested many Kontakt instruments with no sound but all others such as Reaktor, Massive, FM8 etc. work fine. As for anything else updating, the issues started because and older Cubase project which had a Kontakt 6 entry wouldn't allow me to proceed without activating 6 again. So yes Kontakt 6 got re-installed. I also notice Native Access 3.9.1 and Native Instruments NTKDaemon were updated on that same day.

PoorFellow - Yes it is the same in standalone or DAW. I tried uninstalling both Kontakt 7 AND KK 3.2 and reinstalling Kontakt 7 but used the KK 3.1 including drivers from the link you kindly presented. Sadly the same problem still exists. My S88 is a Mk2.

Interestingly, I re-installed Kontakt 6 and that works ok both standalone and in the DAW, however KK still doesn't because it instantiates Kontakt 7. I have chosen to update back to KK 3.2.0 to keep me most aligned with Native access recommendations.

I'll keep trying a few things, but any additional ideas would be awesome.

Colin

• CGTS
    Options

Update on tests.

I uninstalled Kontakt 7 and re-installed (No Change)

I uninstalled Komplete Kontrol 3.2 and re-installed (No Change)

I uninstalled Komplete Kontrol 3.2 and installed 3.1 (No Change)

I uninstalled Native Access 3.9.1 and installed 1.14.1 (No Change)

All changes reverted to latest version of each. (No Change)

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,209 mod
    Options

There's a tick box at the bottom of the Plugin Ins page in KK preferences that says "Always use latest version of Native Instruments plugins". You could try unticking that if it's ticked, that'll let K6 load rather than forcing K7.

Does Kontakt 7 work without loading it inside Komplete Kontrol? You'll lose the NKS mapping with the MK2 keyboard, but trying it might point to where the error is. I'm using the latest versions of everything here with Cubase 13.0.30 and it seems pretty solid.

Is the problem limited to old songs that you created before updating? If you create a new project do things work?

• CGTS
    Options

Thanks once again for helping here.

Tried unticking the 'Use Latest versions of Plug-ins' and that works in the stand alone KK but no suscess in Cubase yet. I'll keep trying.

As for the Stand alone Kontakt, that seems to work fine.

New Cubase projects suffered the same issue.

Now I have unticked the Use Latest Plugins, Komplete Kontrol will accept Kontakt based plugins but complains that some are not compatible as they require a later version of Kontakt. (Noire for example)

Whilst in Cubase, I believe I can all to run in Kontakt 7 but not in KK (Eg Soul Sessions, Noire, Empire Breaks will not) Hybrid Keys will but Hybrid Keys 2.0 will not (It complains Kontakt is too old).

IU am on Cubase 13.0.21 and will update it, but it seems to be more of a KK issue to me.

C

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,791 mod
    Options

Did you go through the whole thread linked to above where JesterMgee is assisting user ? Once you have all this VST/VST2 vs VST3 going and adds problems with the DAW on top then you end somewhere with sometimes wrong version opening and DAW or projects set to use some version or DAW having to either be rest or re-scan plugins , but only after that you first did this or that.

Me having actually invested money and time into try to get to use more DAWs but investing in wrong brand at the wrong time so that there were extensive plugin problems never fixed (mostly VST3 related problems) , then I have still very little understanding of actual DAW use. And also there is differences between DAWs , so all this require the insight from someone with much more practical and actual DAW experience than I

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 468 Pro
    edited March 24
    Options

This is exactly the reason I committed entirely to the new versions of KK, Kontakt and Native Access so I'm not trying to guess at where the problems are. If a project is supposed to have KK on a track and it won't load, that's because I only have KK 3.20 Kontakt 7 and NA 3.9.1 so I replace it with the new versions and libraries and it works fine.

To me that's easier than trying to troubleshoot plugin and DAW problems with different versions and libraries.

• CGTS
    Options

Going crazy over this...

Yes followed the JesterMgee thread and installed KK2.9 and rescanned - NO JOY

Removed all VST paths and re added then rescanned - NO JOY

Now Kontakt 7 nor Komplete Kontrol 2.9 work in Cubase 13. Arrgh!

And to refresh... KK 2.9 or 3.2 do not work in standalone mode for any Kontakt based plugin (Work ok for Pigments, Maschine etc.)

Kontakt 7 appears to work fine in standalone mode for all instruments.

Oh what to do next. Reinstall everything? Give up? Hand this issue over to NI support?

PS DunedinDragon, That is exactly what I was intending to do until Cubase forced me to activate Kontakt 6 again.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,747 mod
    Options

I realise this is very obvious so you probably did this first but have you checked your audio/midi settings are correct in KK?

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 859 mod
    Options

You're describing a loss of sound.

I have more questions about your Audio MIDI setup than I do about anything else.

• CGTS
    edited March 26
    Options

Kymeia, Matthew_NI

Thanks for chipping in. I am confident both Audio and MIDI settings are ok.

In standalone mode, Kontakt 7 works fine for all instruments.

In standalone mode, Komplete Kontrol 2.9 or 3.2 do not work for any Kontakt instruments but do work for instruments such as Pigments, Reaktor, Massive etc. I do see midi activity on the Kontakt instruments but no sound. (I do however hear the sample sounds of all instruments when browsing through the library)

Within Cubase 13:

Kontakt 7 doesn't play anything (as it only loads Kontakt instruments anyway 😀) and no preview sound.

Komplete Kontrols 2.9 or 3.2 again only plays non Kontakt Instruments such as Pigments but I can see MIDI activity and hear the sample sounds again for all.

Here is a screen shot of EP88 in KK showing MIDI Activity and even volume bars for the supposed outputs but no sound.

My current config is... Windows 10 (64bit Pro) Intel CPU, NVidia GPU, Cubase 13.0.3, Kontakt 7.8.1, Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6, Native access 3.9.1

I'm STUCK

Colin

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,747 mod
    edited March 26
    Options

Ok if previews are working that suggests audio is setup ok, if there is MIDI activity then that shows MIDI in is working so this might be about MIDI routing. Check the MIDI input channel for Kontakt in KK, it should be set to MIDI channel 1

• CGTS
    Options

Thanks. Checked that and yes it is set correctly. But still no change or joy.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

@CGTS I think there was some confusion here about sound missing and not library missing. Rolling back to 2.9.6 is peobably irrelevant in this case. I'd recommend to go back to 3.2.

If you open Kontakt 7 inside Cubase, do you get sound?

When in Komplete Kontrol, open Kontakt's GUI by choosing Edit view. Then choose Rack view in Kontakt's GUI:

Then choose in Presets / Batch Configuration, select Reset Output for VST 3 Plugins.

Open a new Komplete Kontrol track and see if that fixed it.