How do we deal with unused samples in Maschine?

Options
solsta
solsta Member Posts: 103 Helper

Hey friends so how do you guys deal with unused samples? I have resorted to trying to name the sample in my projects but I'd love to be able to have a purge samples feature or something in Maschine so that I could remove from finder the files I don't have in my project. At this stage I have to do it project by project but the folder has everything in one place so it's really annoying to get through. Anyone have any tips? Or is this just one of those things that you need to do like housekeeping and delete as you go?

Comments

• enz0
    enz0 Member Posts: 50 Advisor
    edited March 23
    Options

When you start a project, immediately go to File > save with samples. This creates a folder for your project where all the samples you record are saved.

When you need to save again, do the same thing and make sure to check the option to delete unused samples

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    edited March 23
    Options

Unluckily, this is not working as expected.

I wanted to write that using Save with samples will create duplicates of the samples used (included the ones from Expansions), but out of scrupulousness I went to check things…and I discovered the situation is even worst. I suspect a big bug is acting there.

The saved files (even with Delete unused files checked) don’t correspond. And at every passage they even change.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new project with 3 Groups. In the first one load a Group, in the seco from an Expansion (i used Faded Reels)nd a Sound (maybe a multisampled instrument from an Expansion), in the third sample 3 sounds on 3 pads.
    2. Save it and it will create the project file without any Project samples folders (necessary step otherwise Save in Save with button samples will be grayed out and not selectable)
    3. Save it again with samples, checking the Delete unused files. The newly created project samples folders will contain ALL the samples (used or not) from the project (the ones from the expansion in the first Group, the various sampled notes for the Sound instrument in the second, the 3 self sampled sounds from the third (even if only 2 are used), with also a duplicated version inside 3 folders
    4. Saving it with samples and Delete unused files again will even create ulterior new folders with the same self sampled sounds at every iteration.
    5. If you decide to try to manually delete the project file and the samples folder (or even only the sample folder) and try again to save it with samples and Delete unused files checked, it will recreate the project file and the folder, but this time it will be empty.

efnfter first Save with samples and Delete unused samples checked:etelyfter second and third attempt: thinfter manually deleting project file and Samples folder:g and re-Saved with samples and Delete unused samples checkeds ahe used samples in the project for each group:re not working as exphis is on Win 11 with latest Maschine version installedected, and I suspect a bug. @Jeremy_NI : could you please report this to someone in charge?

• LostInFoundation
    edited March 23
    Options

Lol…it seems I can’t even post pictures…the last strange paragraph was showing the various state of the project Samples folder at every passage and the used samples in the Groups in Maschine, but being I Jailed for one month (yes, this is the diciture in the forum…) they were not posted…

@Jeremy_NI if you need them, they are in the Discord server under bug-reports

Edit: no, I discovered I still can post images…therefore that mess made in the last paragraph by the images I added must be another bug, a forum one

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,152 Guru
    Options

Efnfter etelyfter thinfter checkeds ahe exphis, installedected is exactly what I was thinking. 🤣

• LostInFoundation
    edited March 23
    Options

I know…sometimes I express myself strangely…specially when “jailed” 😂

Strange thing is all the “efnfter, etelyfter, thinfter,…” were “after” that the deleted pictures messed up..😂

‘It’s a though life in jail 😏

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,778 mod
    Options

@LostInFoundation Maybe I missed something but I couldn't reproduce the issue on my Mac and my fresh Windows 11 PC.