Cubase 13, Mac Pro, and NI

Options
Lukenfranz
Lukenfranz Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I'm having a problem of hearing what I've just recorded. The M32 is hooked up to my Cubase 13, which can see it and record. For playback, I'm not able to get any sound. My Mac Pro has an M2 chip (14.3.1 (23D60)) Cubase 13 (build 13.0.20) and NI Komplete Control (Version 3.9.0 (329b868 / 1.16.0.0))

Does anyone have this same issue? I have tried darn near everything and still cannot assign a sound to hear.

The controller works well with Komplete Kontrol. It's the Cubase program that seems to have the problem.

Are there known compatibilities issues with this?

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,209 mod
    Options

First question has to be do you hear the sounds while playing the keyboard if you put the track into monitor mode? Which VSTi are you using as your instrument? Also, are you sure you have the outputs set correctly in Cubase?

• Lukenfranz
    Options

I can hear and see the level on the track. When recording, I can record alongside the other tracks while hearing both the prerecorded tracks as well as what I'm playing on the controllor. The objects have midi notes showing after recording. It's when attempting to hear what I recorded that I cannot hear anything. I've checked my Mac Pro audio outs, Cubase audio outs and they all point to the stereo output.

• mykejb
    Options

That sounds like you're doing all the right things! When you play back your recording are the level meters for the MIDI track moving? I'm guessing probably not, but got to start somewhere.

• Lukenfranz
    Options

YES, They're moving. Everything seems to be working other than the output. what I cannot do is get the signal to the stereo output unless midi works differently.

• mykejb
    Options

It sounds like you don't have the instrument track routed to your stereo out. Check in your inspector and make sure that the output is set to Stereo Out as in the screenshot below.

• Lukenfranz
    Options

This is what I'm seeing on my DAW

THESE ARE MY OPTIONS

• Lukenfranz
    Options

This shows the output choices

• mykejb
    Options

Is there any reason why you want a separate MIDI track as opposed to an instrument track. Normally if you're using a VSTi in Cubase you create an instrument track and record the MIDI onto that track. There's nothing technically wrong with doing it as you are with a MIDI track routed to the VSTi track, but doesn't give you a lot of advantages unless you're using a multi-timbral instrument. Anyway, as you're using a MIDI track, this is how things should look. You should see the meters moving on both the MIDI track and the Komplete Kontrol VSTi track when you play back your track. Double check that the output on the VSTi track is Stereo Out.

1 - The MIDI track in yellow

2 - The VSTi track containing Komplete Kontrol in a horrible green