Native Instruments Software and my problems with it

Options
Musika
Musika Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have not been very involved with Native Instruments recently, so you could say I am relatively new to this. Most of the time, I am more focused on software development.

I began by installing Native Access, which went smoothly. Next, I attempted to download Kontakt Player 7. While the download was successful, the installation failed with a rather vague error message that I believe could be more informative. Additionally, the software did not attempt to use the existing download and instead started a fresh 500MB download. This could potentially waste a significant amount of bandwidth, especially for users with slower or metered connections who may be looking to download one of the larger 4GB+ files.

Furthermore, there were occasional difficulties in resuming downloads. After downloading a separate zip file containing the Player and successfully installing it, I experienced two crashes in a very short period. This has led me to question whether the issue lies with me or with the application itself what is your experience?

Comments

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,813 mod
    Options

I am sorry that I have to say that I think that this discussion is kind of futile. Don't misunderstand me , you might find plenty of people willing to discuss this. But there are more things to take into consideration.

Also if you , quote : "Most of the time, I am more focused on software development." , then you ought to know a lot better than to leave the description of your OS as something as vague as 'Windows' and then start to raise questions without even including the , quote : "rather vague error message".

The whole discussion is kind of futile because it partly depends on what exactly is your problem here (which we do not know yet) and also who you prefer to blame !

Part of the general problems are OS security measures both general and the 'ordinary' user access control as well as problems that can be added by third-party programs. Part of general problems are also more general network problems that sometimes pops up , and again can be hard to pinpoint reasons for (though most users usually prefer to blame Native Instruments). And finally then there is the at least potential issues with the Native Instruments programs themselves and especially potential problems with the functionality of the DRM protection scheme(s) devised (or at least used) by Native Instruments.

All depending on who you ask then people will tend to give you a different answer. Again, mostly the unhappy users tends to blame Native Instruments unequivocally not leaving any other interpretations or considerations to be taken. And to some point that is understandable and to some point it could even be accurate , I mean if e.g. there were no DRM there could not be any conflicts or problems with it or with how well it works with the OS security and what not ! Personally I do however think that from an 'outsiders' point of view then it can be rather hard to judge who is at fault when you neither have the insight nor even the opportunity to ever gain any proper insight.

Also in connection with you asking for other peoples experiences then you are asking many people with different experiences that might have had completely different root cause to tell you what is what. While it's often hard enough if not impossible as a user to have to determine the actual cause of whatever problem , even if user did this or that and that helped !

Personally I would however like to see the whole N.I. software chain both become more robust and also give a heck of a lot better error information. But again, asking something like that also is kind of like forgetting how extremely advanced a modern day OS is with layers and routing inside and most all app development these days also are done using RAD (Rapid Application Development) environments and so much depends on so much else so even something like 'advanced error handling' (accurate error handling) will most likely be a hard task !