Cannot find any way to move/resize patterns in the Arranger

Options
Halo Serene
Halo Serene Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hi All

Fledgling composer , and noob Maschinist. Apologies if this is the wrong place 😊.

I am trying to learn how to use Maschine 3, and I have got as far as creating a test arrangement as below - I was trying things out and ended up with a Pattern missing (there should be another copy of Pattern 1 in the gap after it.

I cannot find a way to Copy the pattern into the gap (or even to move it) in the pattern manager - if I copy the bock representing Pattern 1 into the gap in the manager, then it copies the Scene(?) Intro 1 rather than the Pattern 1 and gives Scene Intro1 (8), moving everything afterwards to the right including the gap

If I Double the Pattern I get

So basically, this is not the behaviour I would expect of an Arranger 🀨.

My question, how do I solve this - how do I copy Pattern 1 into that gap, and without moving any of the other patterns, please?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,209 mod
    edited February 25
    Options

You can do it with Alt-Drag with a mouse. Not sure how to do it from the hardware, I'll connect mine up and try it later, although I have a Studio not a MK3

EDIT: Just found this in the manual Working with Patterns and Clips (native-instruments.com)

Duplicating a Clip

Using the duplicate function enables you to make a copy of a Clip.

To duplicate a Clip:

1. PressΒ SHIFTΒ +Β PATTERN.
    2. ReleaseΒ SHIFT.
    3. Press Button 4 (DUPLICATE).

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    edited February 27
    Options

You add patterns to scenes. Scenes get added to the arranger as sections.

Notice the "Intro 1" and "Intro 1 (1)". Those are two unique scenes. You would need add that pattern to "Intro 1 (1)".

You should just be able to right click in that empty area and add the pattern to the scene, but NI decided to mess with maschine's workflow when they added clips. Press C to get out of clip mode and then right click the empty area. Then join my crusade of getting everyone to accept that clips were a mistake.

From the hardware, I'd probably go back to ideas view and just enable the pattern for that scene.

• Halo Serene
    Options

I think I sussed it - this is not as direct or 'freehand' as my DAW (Studio One) πŸ™„

As I now understand it, I faff around creating Patterns of varying Groups (and lengths) - this gives me a 'repository' of Patterns to use.

Then I use the Ideas manager (which, to spare people confusion, should really have been named Scenes manager) to build up Scenes out of the Patterns (I understand Clips are a different kettle of fish) - this gives me a repository of Scenes.

Then I use the Arranger to build a song out of various Scenes. And then add Clips in a more freehand way

My mistake, the point of this discussion, was trying to manage Patterns in the Arranger rather than in the Ideas manager.

So, reset everything I was trying, and start again ☹️

Thanks for the help, guys πŸ‘οΈ

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited February 27
    Options

Sounds like a mostly correct assessment.

My mistake, the point of this discussion, was trying to manage Patterns in the Arranger rather than in the Ideas manager.

Well, technically nothing stops you from managing Patterns in the Arranger if you want to, you can just right-click to insert/change a Pattern, or do it from the HW.

There is no dragging around things like on a DAW tho. What might make this more confusing is by default Maschine's Arranger is in "Clips" Mode, you can change that by pressing 'C' or thru the Pattern Menu on the HW.

Making Clips the default state of the Arranger was a terrible recent change imo.

• Halo Serene
    Options

OK I've worked out how to use it now (kinda) - so this 'problem' wasn't, it was just me being a complete numpty and getting confused by what the user manual was trying to tell me πŸ™„

Anyhoo, how do I mark this discussion as Solved?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited February 28 Answer βœ“
    Options