In Studio One Komplete Kontrol keeps saying Update Required

Options
Jonas Denolf
Jonas Denolf Member Posts: 15 Member

Everytime i reopen my project this window pops up but when i open native access it doesn't show an update, what can i do?

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 948 Guru
    Options

@Jonas Denolf

"Everytime i reopen my project this window pops up but when i open native access it doesn't show an update, what can i do?"

What version of Native Access are you running?

And what version of Komplete Kontrol?

VP

• Jonas Denolf
    Options

Native Access version: 3.8.1

Komplete Kontrol: 3.1.2

i am using the S88 MK3 keyboard

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Fair enough. That dialog box does not look like a Studio One dialog tho.

And Studio One would have no knowledge (or care) whether or not Komplete Kontrol is updated.

What exactly is in this S1 project?

Also - what OS you are using and what version of Studio One? That would be helpful.

VP

• Jonas Denolf
    Options

I only use Komplete Kontrol instances in Studio One since i use Komplete Kontrol

That dialog box is from Komplete Kontrol not Studio One but it only shows up in Studio One

What is inside are only instrument tracks with Komplete Kontrol giving this dialog box, upon clicking Ok on the dialog the whole DAW crashes, hence why i am asking on the forum for any help or advice because i practically can't use my project with Komplete Kontrol anymore.

Studio One: 6.5.1

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,813 mod
    Options

I see that it also mentions the Hardware Connection service. And since I do not know the details of that and since you claim that , quote : "That dialog box is from Komplete Kontrol not Studio One but it only shows up in Studio One" then I think that it requires a bit more knowledge about stuff than I have . What immediate springs to mind , since it mentioned , would be to try to update the hardware service though I don't have a clue what it should help. But since this is a such peculiar problem and since it's also mentioning the Kontrol S MK3 keyboard then I will ask if @Matthew_NI could please evaluate the problem , ref. screenshot in first post above ! (since it's in connection with a DAW it's possible that Matthew do not have anything to add but since the problem is a rather peculiar one then I still think that Matthew needs to be called !)

• Jonas Denolf
    edited February 17
    Options

As i have said in the post above, when i check native access there is no updates and not for connection service too, I ran the updates on Mac and using it on Windows 11

• PoorFellow
    edited February 17
    Options

You could try to re-install the hardware service (though I would be surprised if it made any difference) but be sure to run all apps as an Admin. Also since Matthew is a N.I. employee then don't expect him to respond earliest before Monday.

• Jonas Denolf
    Options

Yeah guess i'll wait for Matthew to respond, this update dialog box is ruining every project in Studio One as it also crashes the DAW when i press Ok.

• Megatim
    Megatim Member Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 20
    Options

Hi, I am facing similar issues with Studio One 6.5.2.97444 and my S61 MK3 Keyboard using Komplete Kontrol. My Specs are below. The exact Issue is as follows:

• I can load a Project containing Komplete Kontrol Instruments without a problem.
    • After opening the project, a regular VST3-Instrument is automatically selected (because it was saved like that). Still, the MK3 Keyboard will show a random Komplete Kontrol Instrument from the project instead of the DAW-View.
    • When browsing through the tracks of the project (either by hand or by using the big MK3-Encoder), some Komplete-Kontrol-Instances will work fine, others will display the exact same error message that @Jonas Denolf posted originally.
    • I already found out this is NOT an issue with the instruments. I literally spent days investigating this, testing different instruments and different projects. In one project, the affected Instrument might be "Analog Dreams" while "Ethereal Earth" is working fine. In another project, it might be the other way around. In another project, both work fine and "Kinetic Treats" is affected. It seems to be completely random.
    • If I get the errormessage on an Instrument and click OK, the Instrument will open fine and can be played, but it does not detect the MK3 keyboard (it only shows "MIDI" instead of the 61-Icon) and of course all MK3 functions like control-knobs, lightguide, etc. are not available then. The MK3 will show the default midi template.
    • Sometimes, I even get the same error message in Kontakt 7, but I did not find a reliable way to reproduce this with Kontakt.
    • I created a video documenting these issues: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aq4Sj2dM3Q5vki-SD8siPAB9GUS7?e=Eawuaf

For the record:

• I did contact the NI support about this issue (#4093646), but after some back and forth I was told to wait for Presonus to release an update which fixes this.
    • I then contacted Presonus, and after some more back and forth they told me the error is more likely to be on Native Instruments side and I should come back here.
    • I tried to get this running on both an existing Windows 10 drive and a freshly installed Windows 11 drive
    • I reinstalled Hardware connection Service
    • I installed every update since october
    • The S61MK3 is connected to the PC using a USB-C to USB-A cable, goint into a powered USB-3-Hub
    • The S61MK3 gets its power from an official power supply of the Nintendo Switch Game Console.
    • The cubase user @FilmCompos3r reported a similar issue when using Kontakt 7 in Cubase 13 on february 1 2024 here: https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/130193/#Comment_130193

Current Versions:

• Native Access: 3.8.1
    • Komplete Kontrol: 3.1.2
    • Kontakt: 7.8.1

My PC Specs:

• Windows 11 Home 23H2 (22631.3155)
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    • Mainboard: Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
    • RAM: 64 GB GSkill FlareX 3200 (4x16 GB)
    • GPU: AMD Radeon 6800XT
    • SSD: WD Black SN850P
    • Audio Interface: Universal Audio Volt 476

Sorry for the wall of text, I really hope it helps.

• Vocalpoint
    edited February 20
    Options

@Megatim

Studio One v6.5.2 user here as well with my S61 MKII with Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 on Windows 10 and cannot find a single issue with my NI setup - end to end.

I have not (and will not) install KKv3 at this time as I simply do not trust it to be stable (or usable) in any way (with the MKII series) and I am not willing to be a beta tester for this release.

That said - from what I was able to cobble together - KKv3 was reasonably usable/stable in S1 6.5.x up to (and below) 3.1.0.

Noticed that these oddball conditions - yours being one of several I have seen (I believe) bubbled to the surface ONLY following the last two versions of KKv3. (3.1.1 and now 3.1.2)

While S1 "could" have something to do with this - I doubt that what you are seeing is a Presonus issue. This one (to me) appears to be squarely on NIs shoulders to fix - especially if users with other DAWs (like your Cubase example) are reporting problems.

VP

• Ongey
    Ongey Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Hi folks, I've been having this problem, and now I know I'm not alone! Same as @Megatim I've raised support calls with both PreSonus and Native Instruments. The call with PreSonus has come to an end - they reported that logs showed up problems with a 'ucrtbase.dll' - C runtime, used by Visual C++ and others. Have tried reinstalling VC++ versions, and lots of other things. PreSonus said that NI are aware, and they cannot help any more.

The call with NI is still open, but no information for over a week now except that they are discussing the issue in the team (which is not a bad thing, good to talk it out). I will nudge them again today, and add a link to this forum page.

I've tried so many things - uninstalling / reinstalling KK, Hardware Connection Service, Studio One etc etc. Have run in admin mode. Have tried with keyboard switched off. Have tried with different or no audio devices...

...and there's a clue, because with my usual Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, I get the usual 'update required' followed by crash. With Realtek, no crash, which enables me to put the cursor on a non-KK track and save (that's important to avoid crash upon next startup). As others have said, the KK instrument seems irrelevent. I've tried to isolate it - NI products, Fracture Sounds, Spitfire etc etc - no pattern emerging there.

I've also tried with Kontakt 7, which seems to 'mostly' behave itself (some bugs but nothing showstopping), so that's a workaround.

So, definitely a problem, Studio One and KK are unworkable. If more people have this then NI devs will prioritise it. I appreciate this is new tech / software, and am happy to work on this forum and with devs to solve the problems. I will update this forum with any findings from my support call.

• Megatim
    Megatim Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

@Vocalpoint Thanks for your take on all of this. And I totally hear you. Buying the S61MK3 is my first time "early adopting" some new technology, and it is really frustrating. So, lesson learned, I guess :) When the MK3 works as intended, it is exceptionally awesome, it really is. But unfortunately, as it is well documented in this thread, many times this is not the case, at least not on my end. By the way, I first reported the issues described in my post to Native Instruments in late October 2023. I can't remember the exact version of KK3 back then, but I think it was even before 3.1.0.

@Ongey No, you are not alone, and while I truly wish none of us would have to deal with these StudioOne/KK3/MK3 issues, I am also relieved I am not the only one experiencing them. Thank you very much for all of your info, I really hope this will help NI to track this down.

• PoorFellow
    Options

@Matthew_NI , sorry to call for you again , but appears as if you missed the original call for assistance here ?

Could you please take a look at this issue above (Jonas Denolf) ? : https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/26699/in-studio-one-komplete-kontrol-keeps-saying-update-required , apparently also maybe same thing reported by MegaTim : https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/134587/#Comment_134587

• Ongey
    Ongey Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

And I'm experiencing the same too, and have a support call currently open (no development on that for a week though, gave them a nudge yesterday). I've had the 'update' message since purchasing Studio One and KK Mk3 late last year. Didn't think much of it initially because I was sketching stuff out (create project, write things, rarely re-open project). It's upon project re-open that things go wrong, and anecdotally, KK / S1 updates might have made it worse, not better.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 859 mod
    Options

A few things have happened: support escalated this to our product team who are now investigating against a filed bug.