Native Access 2 arm-64, and support requiring Rosetta on Mac Silicon???!

Options
Tommyd
Tommyd Member Posts: 11 Member

Trying to get started with Native Access 2 arm-64 and it is requiring Rosetta!

Is Native Access 2 still not fully Apple Silicon compliant????

Also attempted to run NI Support Tool - it also will not launch without Rosetta.

Come on, how many years are we having to deal with this incompatible Mac Silicon apps SNAFU? Incredible.

Mac M2, OS 14.2.1

Best Answer

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 414 Guru
    edited February 11 Answer ✓
    Options

Until NTK Daemon is native, you won't be able to avoid Rosetta, unfortunately.

NI has stated (somewhere) that NI Access 2 is M1 native, but the NTKDaemon tool still requires Rosetta. So no error or mistake, they just haven't figured out yet on how to make the Daemon native...

And yes, I find it ridiculous, too.

Answers

• Tommyd
    Options

There is only one version in the link. I was already talking w tech support, they did not differentiate.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    edited January 14
    Options

Maybe try a different browser? I have three options. Mac Intel, Mac M1/M2 and Windows.

Here's the direct link to the M1/M2 version https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/downloads/Native-Access_2_Mac_M1.dmg

• Tommyd
    Options

I used that link! It's an Apple Silicon arm-64 file. Browser shouldn't be an issue for a direct download. Tech support did not mention a browser. I also attempted to launch NI Support Tool - via NI Support emailed link! Also won't launch and requiring Rosetta!

These two NI apps apparently not ready for new Apple Silicon on Sonoma.

• reffahcs
    Options

Are you able to run the M1/M2 version of Native Access?

• Tommyd
    Options

Thanks. That's the point of my post. The M1/M2 version of Native Access WILL NOT LAUNCH or install without Rosetta.

Same for NI Support Tool, which NI Support emailed asking me to run. It also will not launch or install or run without Rosetta.

These are M1/M2 apps on an M2 Mac and they are still asking for Rosetta!

• reffahcs
    Options

That doesn't make any sense honestly. An ARM native app doesn't have an option of running Rosetta. Only Intel apps will give you an option to select Rosetta mode.

Just so we're on the same page. What do you see when you double click the Native-Access_2_Mac_M1.dmg file? It should look like this.

Can you confirm you see this screen?

• Tommyd
    Options

Yes, thanks. Exactly. Correct. I have the correct app file. As I mentioned, I also followed the exact link in Support email to download the NI Support Tool (for Apple Silicon Macs) to diagnose the issue, and it also has the same issue!

PS: I don't even know if these apps would work with Rosetta, maybe not. I'm past Rosetta work arounds. The point is they are asking for Rosetta when they are Apple Silicon native apps! So there is something wrong!

Here's a screenshot of the open installer on my Mac - it's clearly the correct one!

• reffahcs
    Options

Would you mind posting a screenshot of what happens once you drag Native Access to applications and then actually try to run it? I did some googling and it seems depending upon how it's compiled there might be reasons why it would ask for Rosetta mode.

• reffahcs
    Options

There was a mention of this issue with an unrelated Mac program. https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php?t=81942

• Tommyd
    Options

Here.

Seems to be a bug possibly incompatible with Sonoma.

I had no issue installing NA on an M1 Mac with older OS.

• Tommyd
    Options

Thanks. That sounds like a simple fix NI can do. I'm quite incredulous we are having this issue so far into the Apple Silicon world. And apparently other issues with MacOS14 Sonoma, from browsing here.

• reffahcs
    Options

For now try and just install it using Rosetta. It shouldn't need Rosetta, but for the sake of getting Native Access installed I would just continue with the install. You can manually reinstall NTKDaemon later too using the steps here https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/5259695604625-Native-Access-Error-Please-grant-permission-to-NTK-Daemon-to-install-dependencies-

As far as the NI Support Tool, it's possible they gave you the wrong version? I wouldn't worry about that for now. That's just going to collect a bunch of system info for your support ticket.

• Tommyd
    Options

I am past Rosetta, as I said. I don't see how it would help an arm app in any case. That link for NTK Daemon has nothing to do with my issue.

It's a massive stretch to suggest NI Support linked me to the wrong file.... please.

Let's just accept that there is a problem with these TWO apps and my Mac with the latest OS. Period. Done.

I'll wait for them to fix it and in meantime move on to using other software.

• reffahcs
    Options

ok. good luck.