Update Problems with Maschine+ 1.5.1? πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Options
13Β»

Answers

• Andy Wt
    Andy Wt Member Posts: 85 Helper
    Options

Perhaps Reaper could be better alternative. Its linux native, ARM version runs fine on Raspberry Pi 4 and Atom E3940 is at least twice as fast as i understand

• Bryn Owen
    Bryn Owen Member Posts: 18 Member
    Options

After working with NI Support on this "FAILED" update to 1.5.1 they suggested connecting M+ to my Mac in "STORAGE" mode (using the button on the Settings page). Once connected I removed the "Downloads" folder and I also removed a readme.txt file that I had put in the root directory in case my M+ is lost (has my phone number in it). Empty the Trash then DISCONNECT from M+ and restart. The update worked after that!!

Not sure if NI also changed anything to get this working, but it sounds like they did not, so it may have something to do with either how the files are removed, or whether you have any junk files like I did in the root dir. I had already tried doing the exact same things by removing the SD card and plugging it into my computer and that did NOT work.

Good luck!

• The Dark Universe
    The Dark Universe Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

i was contacted by NI about my support ticket for my initial update failure issue that started this whole thread, and they suggested deleting anything in the SD card's download folder and trying again; they directed me to use the M+ in storage mode connected to my computer to do this, but as i am an asinine dawless standalone purist and *still* have never once connected my M+ to my computer, i took out the SD card and plugged IT straight into the USB drive.... Long story short: everything is completely good! Thank you NI, after deleting whatever gobbledygook files were in the download folder, the update went through like a charm.... Hello 1.5.1! πŸ˜ƒπŸ™πŸŒŒ

(Now, i'm just waiting for new updates that actually improve my standalone quality of life, as i use no VSTs or Reaktor medleys or whatever else you computer people are so on about all the time πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸŒŒ)

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 620 Guru
    edited January 10
    Options

Those "Reaktor medleys" work also without a computer BTW (although they might require a full Reaktor licence in your NI account, not sure about that), so should be 100% halal for all you standalone only people out there..

You can even use your phone for transferring files to M+, you dont absolutely need a computer if you find the thought too revolting ;)

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,364 Expert
    Options

@tetsuneko suggested:

You can even use your phone for transferring files to M+, you dont absolutely need a computer if you find the thought too revolting ;)

This probably would be worth its own thread! How do you do that? What do you need to make this possible with an iPhone?

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 620 Guru
    Options

You need an adapter that has a regular USB socket (old ones used to be called "Camera connetor", maybe they still are?), and you need the Files app on your iPhone. Then just open the files app, connect your cables to the adapter, and set Maschine+ to STORAGE mode. You should see you SD card mounted in the Files app as a removable drive.

The only tricky part is unmounting from Storage mode safely. Since iOS does not have "eject" function for external drives, the absolutely safest way to unmount external drives requires powering down your iDevice with the cables still connected, once the device has powered down, disconnect cables and restart your iDevice. (This last info might be deprecated in newer iOS versions, maybe they work in ways which does not require traditional ejecting of remote disks?)

• Goldie B
    Goldie B Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Potential solution for people to Maschine+ stuck on "Restarting Maschine+" after 1.5.1 update (and, by the by - potentially a better way to upgrade a Maschine+ SD card than I used originally, based on the info I could find back then):

My system wouldn't start after the 1.5.1 install (got stuck on ' Restarting Maschine+', and rebooting didn't fix it, kept getting the same message again). I'm not connected to NI, just a user who found a fix that worked for me.

Background:

• I'm using a 1TB Sandisk SD I installed myself
    • I had previously used the "system-reset-v2.nut" file previously posted by support (which was a fix for a previous update that wouldn't restart - it's now been removed from the site) - you might want to check if this is still on your SD (if you've used it previously), as it may or may not be compatible with update 1.5.1 (load up the sd on your computer to check)

What worked for me (try at your own risk - and make sure to back up any files you want from the SD first, as this will wipe the card - but you can then easily redownload everything except your user/project files - so again, back up before trying this, if you choose to!):

• I mounted the SD on my Mac (connected it to my computer)
    • Copied its entire contents to a backup folder, in case I need anything from it again (like project files and user stuff)
    • Then, and this was the key: Restarted the Maschine+ WITHOUT the SD card in there
    • It booted up fine, and showed 1.5.1 as installed
    • THEN - popped in the SD card
    • Hit 'File/Save' - and selected the 'Storage' option (top 'button' 6, above the screen) - it's important to use THIS version of the storage button - and not the one under 'Settings>System' (top 'button' 3)- two buttons with the same name but different purposes - confusing, I know)
    • Then I hit button 7 - Format - to have the Maschine+ wipe/reformat the card fresh (it will also now have been formatted by the 1.5.1 version of the OS, so that might be a benefit too (in my case, I'd formatted my 1TB SD card on my mac originally - and had always worried about whether or not I'd chosen the correct settings when doing so. Doing it this way means the Maschine takes care of that (and presumably applies all the correct settings for you)
    • This took a couple of seconds
    • This didn't delete my wifi connection details
    • This didn't delete the standard plugins (VSTs like Raum) - @Jeremy_NI or other Native Instrument'ers - maybe you can confirm that these are stored on the device, rather than the SD, for people who might need to know?
    • I then went to the Library and redownloaded all of my expansions
    • I haven't yet (and may not) reimport my previous projects - because I can open them on my desktop in the Maschine 2 desktop anyway, to take them forward if I want - and this also has the potential benefit of knowing that I've got a fully clean slate going forward, all based on the 1.5.1 release (so any potential incompatibilities with older versions "sort of can't" be a problem
    • Maschine now running faster, better and more smoothly that it has done in a good while - and as I say, it's nice knowing I have a sort of clean slate - and in particular, no longer have the worry that my upgraded SD could be a problem (as previously mentioned - formatted originally on my Mac, with me guessing at the right formatting settings)

Hope this helps everyone; and NI staff - please maybe let people know if any of this is terrible advice for any reason! But as I say, it's worked a treat for me - and meant I could get back up and running without having to wait for a ticket to get through the queues :)

One final note: obvs, while this has given me a clean slate on the SD card - it HASN'T reset any of the stuff (that presumably must be) installed on internal device memory. Presumably, there are 'factory default reset' options somewhere in there, for that kind of thing - but I haven't had to do that : )

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,364 Expert
    Options

@Goldie B thank you very much for your detailed report and instructions.

This, other reports and my own experience confirm to me what Iβ€˜ve suspected for quite some time: The M+ is actually pretty stable and almost all problems/crashes are either caused by real hardware issues or some sort of SD card failure.

• Goldie B
    Goldie B Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Aw! Delighted to help!