Half of my programs are not updating, some won't even install, tried RegTool and so on.

Monty_Python
Monty_Python Member Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2022 in Native Access

Hello :) I have Komplete Ultimate 10 with the 11 Upgrade installed on top of it running Win10. I haven't updated any of my NI stuff for about a year. Recently via Access, only a few programs updated automatically with no issues. Some programs I could get running with the NI Uninstall RegTool. It's been tedious trying to get each program working one at a time. Some programs after using the Reg Tool, will not do a fresh install. At this point I try to uninstall manually via Windows Add/Remove Programs (Cuba for example). It will say "Please run installer from the original DVD". I do still have my original Ultimate 10 HD, but at this point it really seems messy everywhere. I probrably have 60 more products that won't update and to try the RegTool with, about 10 products so far are just dead and won't install as I've mentioned above and the list will grow as I go.

Over the years I've never had issues like this with Access. I feel like maybe I'm overlooking something simple, or I should be doing a fresh install, but Win10 won't let me uninstall anyway. Any guidance would be great, thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

The best thing coming to my mind is that you might need to point Native Access to your current content location, check the preferences to these. I'd definitely recommend against using registry hacks for any software that's available in Native Access because unless you fully know what you're doing there's a huge risk that you're making some issues even worse.

First I'd check Native Access to see if it provides any repair options, that's usually the first thing to look into. Next... Reg Tool? Yuck, if you want to use something reliable then use PowerShell:

See what I mean? That's how you check your registry in a simple way.... And with a little scripting this could also be a reliable way to change the content directory for all affected items at once, basically you need to have a base directory and apply the ChildName to it.

Even so... I'd advice you to start by checking the properties of Native Access.

• Monty_Python

Thank you for your reply, ShelLuser.

My location preferences are fine and have yet to change when updating Access. For App and Plugin locations I have my C Drive. For Content locations I have it on a separate F Drive.

I'm using the NI RegTool as advised directly from Native Access when there's an installation error. It would be crazy that it's not advised since this is NI's first contact in support of install issues. Every program that does not update successfully sends me to this specific link...

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003509269-Fixing-Software-Update-Installation-Issues-Windows-

I'm just reading and following their instructions, I wouldn't know what to do with software that edits registry information otherwise.

There are no Repair options in Access for me. Just Install or Update per program.

I'm not sure what you mean by Properties unless you're just referring again to checking the Access preferences.

I appreciate you taking a swing at this.

And just to recap. I've got a long list of NI programs that are installed and working. A shorter list of programs that need updates that fail, some of them were fixed by the NI RegTool. And a short list of uninstalled programs that became uninstalled after the RegTool was used, and now they cannot fresh install.

• NeisAEL
    NeisAEL Member Posts: 4 Member

I have the same problem. NI Version 1.14.1.

I deleted already the aria2 and iso files.

Can anyone help?

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

Aha, now I see what's up and I think I also know what's happening here.

See, Native Access relies on a Windows 10 feature to access ISO images. However, in order to do this you need to have the .iso file extension linked to Windows' file explorer. My guess is that this association got changed on your setups.

The quickest way to resolve this is to right click on an iso imagefile, then use the option "Open with..." and make sure to select "Explorer" and also make this the default action. After that these issues should also get resolved.

• Monty_Python

ShelLuser, again thanks so much for trying!

Found the ISOs in my download folder, and they are already set to Explorer :(

• NeisAEL
    NeisAEL Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2022

Yeah same here, although after i unregistered with the tool, icould update most, but whatever i do i can't install those: (.iso is set to win explorer)

• Monty_Python

I'm trying to work it out with support. No luck yet. I will post back when it gets worked out.

• Monty_Python
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

My .ISO would not mount due to a registry issue with my CD/DVD rom. Perform this at your own risk. After I did this, my aforementioned "Uninstalled" programs would finally install.

Step #3 https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005761245-Native-Access-Error-Message-Error-while-mounting-disk-image-Windows-

My "Available Updates" that would not install I had to use the NI Reg Edit tool here...

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003509269-Fixing-Software-Update-Installation-Issues-Windows-

The NI Reg Edit Tool did not work on many programs. After trying it on a program and it failing, that program moved from the Available Updates list to the Uninstalled list. At that point I could either install via Native Access, if that failed, I could then install via .ISO. Now the original program is installed, and now the Update installs.

It took a while for me, but when I finally wrapped my head around the order of steps as I listed, it started coming together.

Lastly I still have 16 Available Updates that will not install, but all programs are working at the moment. Still going back and forth with support to try and wrap this up. Will edit or reply if it is a success.

• Lawrence23
    Lawrence23 Member Posts: 4 Member

I have the same problem. NI support sent me to a support page Native Access Error Message: "Error while mounting disk image" (Windows) where nothing there works. I just bought the 9 for $99 expansion offer and now I can't install them. I keep getting NI Access message "Error while mounting disk image". One of the nine expansions installed but the rest failed during the same installation session. Not sure why it would start having this issue all of a sudden. I did try the install on another computer and it worked, so perhaps it is a Windows 10 issue. But I didn't install any other software. It worked one minute and then stopped working. Any PC Win 10 folks out there with any ideas? I've tried a virtual drive app and opening with Explorer and neither worked.

• Lawrence23
    Lawrence23 Member Posts: 4 Member

This is resolved now. Also found a CD burn driver from WaveLab in my registry. Removed it and all is good.