How to enable MIDI out from Kontrol S49

Options
Sam Govin
Sam Govin Member Posts: 16 Member

Hi team,

I wish to check how to enable MIDI out from Control S49. I have an external sound module and need to trigger tones with this midi controller. I had no issues with Roland MIDI keyboard. But somehow this is not working.

Thanks.

Sam

Best Answer

• Sam Govin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi friends, I managed to sort this out. I am able to use MIDI out while connected to DAW to trigger external device. That what I needed most to auto sample the tones.

Just to ensure right settings in DAW and AUDIO MIDI Settings.

Happy New Year all and have a great year ahead.

Sam

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,369 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Unfortunately, to enable Midi Out for external devices, you need to make your keyboard a stand-alone MIDI controller. To do this, you have to disconnect the USB connection from your computer and use Midi cables instead. You also have to use a Native Instruments Power Supply.

However, if you do it, you will loose all the advanced features of your KK S49.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210276665-Using-the-KOMPLETE-KONTROL-Keyboard-as-Stand-Alone-MIDI-Controller

It might be possible to do it in a different way however (while on USB mode) by using a Midi Loop software driver. I used to do it with my old M-Audio, but i have never tested it on Komplete Kontrol keyboards.

• Sam Govin
    Options

Thanks Sunborn, I tired and you are spot on, the MIDI out works as standalone controller. I will try a MIDI Loop software then. Any suggestion of the MIDI Loop Software? Thanks much in advance.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,931 mod
    Options

@Sunborn , user profile says Mac OS , Apple M1 Ultra, and I am not sure that if in order to loop midi from a Mac/PC to an external device you would then need a hardware unit (USB to midi) , I have previously thought myself that it needed a hardware unit to do so !

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,369 mod
    Options

ugh... those Macs again... a never ending problem right?

@Sam Govin i know few good solutions, but all of them are for Windows, i also did a quick search now and there is nothing similar for Mac (what a surprise really, eh?)

Do a deep search for yourself to be sure, but i'm afraid the solutions are very limited... do as @PoorFellow suggests,

or, just buy a second-hand old midi controller to use it only as a keyboard for your Sound Module

• Sam Govin
    Options

Thanks guys, appreciate your time taken to respond to my query. Sure thing, will find a way out for this. Happy new year guys

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,931 mod
    Options

Thank you and a happy New Year to you too !

In your case then I think that maybe you just need an USB to 5 pin Din Midi ESI - MIDIMATE eX cable (mentioned over here) from computer to external Midi equipment and then use Midi routing software on the computer. But to be sure then you would have to ask Esi Audio or someone else that will know for sure !

• Sam Govin
    Options

is iRIG MIBI 2 a good device for that?

Thanks

• Sam Govin
    Options

By the way I found solution. Use teh DAW to enable MIDI out to control external device.

It works, I need that for auto sampling.

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/guide/audio-midi-setup/ams875bae1e0/mac

• Sam Govin
    Options

Thanks guys for the replies and advice

• Sam Govin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi friends, I managed to sort this out. I am able to use MIDI out while connected to DAW to trigger external device. That what I needed most to auto sample the tones.

Just to ensure right settings in DAW and AUDIO MIDI Settings.

Happy New Year all and have a great year ahead.

Sam