KONTROL S 88 MK3 transpose Why only can one octave down?

Options

KONTROL S 88 MK3 

Why only can one octave down? Cannot play drums with right hand

how can I see the transpose info I set on the keyboard? -or- how could I see the transpose info on keyboard when I press the transpose buttons? If not possible, could this be a future update please?

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,410 mod
    Options

Click the Octave button once, is one octave down.

Click it again, is two octaves down.

Click it again, is three octaves down.

etc. etc. etc.... :-)

• freeasabird
    freeasabird Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    Options

The upper limit is 2 octaves and the lower limit is 1 octave.

• Sunborn
    Options

How is this possible?

On MK2 series there are 3 octaves down and 4 up!

• freeasabird
    Options

88?

On mk3 88 there are 1octaves down and 2 up

• Sunborn
    edited December 2023
    Options

aha... it is obvious now!

S49 has 3 octaves down and 4 up, because in this way it covers all the octaves range.

S88 has 1 octaves down and 2 up, because in this way it covers all the octaves range.

Why is that? S88 has 88 keys, while S49 has only 49.

So, while S49 needs 3 octaves down and 4 up to cover octaves range, S88 (thanks to its 39 extra keys), needs only 1 octave down and 2 up, to cover this range!

At the end, what you mention as a transport problem, it is no problem at all!

It is very normal as the maximum key range is 7 octaves and that can not change, it is an international music standard, since 19th century or earlier. Also, there is no keyboard instrument, old or new who has more than 88 keys. You are at the maximum, thus what you asked for a "future update" it is simply not possible to be done.

• freeasabird
    Options

Okay. Thanks.

I have a KAWAI's 88-key keyboard.

It can be 2 octaves down

and 2 octaves up

• Sunborn
    Options

Maybe so, if you say so, though i doubt that, but still, what you ask, is not possible.

Why i doubt? Yes of course technically your Kawai 88 has 2 down + 2 up, but just try to play your lowest note and click the -1 octave down. I bet you will still hear the same sound. Having those octave options, doesn't mean that they can apply to the full range.

Yet the more i think about this case, the less sense it makes! I can't see your point. You wrote, "Cannot play drums with right hand". But all drums, on almost every drum instrument are mapped to start either at C1 either at C0. Your S88 can go to -C1 (or even -C2?). So, you have plenty of room there, that's for sure! Then, why you insist for this extra octave down?

• freeasabird
    Options

Kawai's 88 keyboard allows you to lower it two octaves, so you can play the drums to the right of the center.

KONTROL S 88 MK3 can only go down one octave, so the drums can only be played at a position closer to the center.

• Sunborn
    Options

So, just use your Kawai for the drums and Komplete for the other instruments... or just play them closest to the center... i don't understand why this is a problem. We all learn to adapt when we can't do otherwise...

Anyway, case closed, there is nothing more that i can add here. :-)

• freeasabird
    Options

I understand, I'll be patient and use it.

I don't know if it's technically difficult to make the lower limit two octaves, but it's very disappointing.

Designers don't understand user needs at all

I hope that improvements will be made, including the fact that there is no transpose information displayed at all.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,280 mod
    Options

@freeasabird Are you running inside a DAW? If so could you use a MIDI plugin to map the keyboard where you want it to be?

-- Mike

• Alf Dean
    Alf Dean Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I found that in mk3, the screen did not respond in any way due to the transposition. This makes me confused. In mk2, there is a special position to display the current transposition status.