Question about session horns pro and music notation software

RichP
RichP Member Posts: 43 Member

Can anyone tell me what music notation software works well with Session Horns Pro. I currently have Musescore 4 and I cannot use Session Horns Pro with it. There are all sorts of issues with playback and screens locking up when I try to replace the Musescore midi with Session Horns. I have spent weeks trying to fix the issue and found others with the same problems. One user stated that Musescore is sending incorrect midi back to kontakt player. It was tested with a midi mapping monitor I believe. Session Horns works perfectly in standalone or as a vst plugin in Reaper so the issue is Musescore. Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Rich

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 2,015 Guru
    edited December 2023

Can you please elaborate a bit more?

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 630 Advisor

Why not send your score to the devs for Musescore and have them look it over. There's nothing special about horn parts when using samples. The sample could be a piano or anything else. It's only midi isn't it? Why would a screen lock up? That makes no sense unless the software was poorly written. Is you computer capable of handling everything without musescore?

• RichP
    edited December 2023

Wndows 11, Icore9, 8 core, 16 processors, 32 gig ram

I am not the only person with this issue. Another user applied a midi mapping monitor and found that the incorrect midi data is being sent to Kontakt player. Not sure how to go about checking this myself.

Last suggestion from Musescore was to unplug anything attached to my pc and see if it works. I only have an audio interface connected and two external USB drives which are only used to backup my files. Basically they sit there doing nothing for the most part. Session Horns works fine with my Reaper Daw. No issues. The problem is Musescore but I can't find any other music notation software that can handle VST3 plugins. There is a thing called Musehub which downloads with Musescore 4 but many people including myself had major issues when installed. It crashed my last computer and when I uninstalled it I still could not get the computer functioning so I was forced to get a new one last April. I since optioned to download Musescore 4 without the additional hub. Maybe I need the hub in order to make it work but I am not about to attempt this after spending three grand on a new pc.

Thanks for the response and happy holidays to you and yours.

Regards,

Rich

• Studiowaves

I don't you need a vst3 plugin. It has a few new features but not every piece of software uses these new features. I remember years ago a couple of microsoft software engineers ventured out on their own to help software writers conform to windows. Back then there were a lot of bad software writers. How old is your software and how often has it been updated and why is it still not working.

• RichP

All software is up to date. I check multiple times a week for new updates. Why the plugin will not work is a Musescore 4 issue. Multiple users are having the same issues that I am. No solution has been found.

• Studiowaves

You should document the problems and contact Musescore. They REALLY SHOULD take you seriously. I take it you understand vst3 does not out date vst2. There's lots of scoring software out there that should work fine. Don't most daw's already have piano rolls and scoring software already built in.

This discussion has been closed.