Maschine - how to optimize for performance?

Options
Eklethe
Eklethe Member Posts: 32 Member
edited December 2023 in Maschine

Hello!

I'm curious about how to best optimize Maschine running on my Mac Studio. I've read in a couple different places that it's best (overall) to install plugins on your built-in SSD and install+run sample libraries from an external SSD. Is this correct for Maschine, though?

Currently I have all of my plugins, sample libraries and project files running directly on my SSD, so debating whether to not I should alter that.

One bonus question to that: I'm currently running my projects at a sample rate of 48000 and a buffer size of 128 -- should I push for an even higher sample rate/smaller buffer size? This new Mac Studio is pretty powerful, but my larger Maschine files with plugins/automation/etc. still seem to push it at times.

Thank you for your support!

Comments

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,942 Guru
    Options

Hmm...

For the sample rate, 48000 hz is actually perfect for professional production when it comes to music.

But when it comes to voice acting, movies, professional sound fx, 96000 hz is the way to go.

As for the optimization, the best I can help you with is to delete temporary files you don't need in your computer, as well as erasing duplicate files.

Let me know if it works.

• toneyrome
    toneyrome Member Posts: 31 Helper
    Options

I run all plugins and sound libraries from my internal SSD. Perfmance is much better than a USB 3 connected SSD. You just need enough storage.

• basehead617
    basehead617 Member Posts: 132 Advisor
    Options

Maschine has many bugs at 96khz, I wouldn't recommend it (several logged with support/QA here)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

I've read in a couple different places that it's best (overall) to install plugins on your built-in SSD and install+run sample libraries from an external SSD. Is this correct for Maschine, though?

Yes, this is the way, for everything. - Unless you have a huge internal SSD and space is not a problem, then put everything there and don't even bother with externals except for backups.

Currently I have all of my plugins, sample libraries and project files running directly on my SSD, so debating whether to not I should alter that.

Your Mac internal NVME SSD is much faster than normal external SSDs, so if you want speed/performance that is the way, as mentioned above.

Plugins should not be in external drives, it just avoids problems, and plugins aren't that big in file size to even justify being on an external to begin with.

If you want to save space delete plugins you don't need that NA2 auto installs, for example: I don't use Logic so I have no need for AU plugs, I also don't use Pro Tools and don't need AXX plugs, so... I deleted those and only keep VST/VST3.

One bonus question to that: I'm currently running my projects at a sample rate of 48000 and a buffer size of 128 -- should I push for an even higher sample rate/smaller buffer size? This new Mac Studio is pretty powerful, but my larger Maschine files with plugins/automation/etc. still seem to push it at times.

For the buffer go as low as you can, it diminishes latency but also requires more CPU power, if you're working on a demanding project with a lot going on and start to run into audio issues you can increase the buffer to compensate.

Big buffer = more stuff = more latency; it's up to you to find a balance you're comfortable with.

Increasing the sample rate is pointless for 99% of musicians. 48k is fine.

Indeed not only that but 96khz requires a ton more processing power, effectively making it the opposite of "optimization for performance."

• red_nick
    red_nick Member Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Personally I would use 44.1kHz unless you're producing for video. Any music you're going to release is usually going to be at 44.1, so why resample?

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    edited December 2023
    Options

The number one CPU killer in Maschine IMO outside of VSTs is multiple audio modules running in “Stretch” mode. I don’t know why but Maschine’s real-time audio stretching algorithm is pretty CPU heavy and having multiple instances can bog your session down and causes all kinds of weird clicks and pops. Resample that audio and either use an audio module running “Repitch” mode or use a sampler module.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

The answer is that although we will end up having things at 44.1 kHz using a higher in-between value is still beneficial if you do heavy processing, especially in things like distortion. This gets quite complicated but you can read about Aliasing and the Nyquist frequency.

BTW... Higher-end plugins do oversampling, which internally doubles or triples your sample-rate for this exact reason, that's one of the reasons why the likes of Ozone have such a high induced latency.

DAW's also do 32 bit float internally even tho people tend to export as 16/24.

99.99999% of the world would never tell the difference in any of this tho...

Personally, I use it just for the itsy bitsy better round trip latency since only a tiny more processing is required:

• Jono Rezzillo
    Jono Rezzillo Member Posts: 8 Newcomer
    Options

I was advised to install all my sample libraries to my USER/SHARED folderol the MAIN HD

I now have storage issues creeping in on my HD as its only 1 TB

Running a Studio MAX M2 32 Ram

Is it advisable to re locate my Libraries to a separate SSD ?

Thanks Everyone

• dmori
    dmori Member Posts: 66 Advisor
    Options

Yeah store all your samples on an external SSD. Then reconnect using User Library in preferences.

• Jono Rezzillo
    Jono Rezzillo Member Posts: 8 Newcomer
    Options

😎 Thanks for the heads up

Ill grab an SSD soon

cheers