Sustain pedal affecting first controller knob instead?

Options
fluffy
fluffy Member Posts: 59 Helper

I'm having a weird thing where in Komplete Kontrol 3.0.3, MIDI controller 64 (sustain) is causing the first parameter knob to move instead of it doing the sustain pedal as it should. This is affecting The Grandeur and The Maverick at the very least (I haven't tried other instruments). It doesn't happen if I load those directly through Kontakt, nor does it affect other instruments in Logic.

I'm on Logic 10.8.1 and using a Komplete Kontrol S88 mk1 (which should just be seen as an ordinary MIDI keyboard here, and Logic is reporting the sustain pedal as sending CC 64 as it should). This issue also happens with other MIDI controllers such as an Akai MPK49, so I don't think it's an issue with Logic or my controllers.

Best Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,222 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@fluffy I can partially duplicate this. I assigned a CC to a knob, closed/reopened KK and the CC was still assigned. I deleted the assignment (clicked the X), closed/opened KK and the assignment was back.

In my case, I could make the deletion stick by leaving the MIDI Learn page before closing KK. If I do that the first knob stays as unassigned. That's on MacOS Sonoma (Intel)

Doesn't explain where the original assignment of CC64 came from, but it might help you remove it.

-- Mike

• mykejb
    Answer ✓
    Options

If it makes a difference, I left/closed the learn page by clicking the "MIDI" button at the top of the screen.

-- Mike

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,939 Guru
    Options

Maybe you need to play around woth the MIDI settings.

Either that, or just use in-DAW automation instead.

It has more freedom, power and creativity.

• fluffy
    Options

What MIDI settings should I play around with? I'm just using all of the default and didn't do anything to controller assignments, this just started happening after I upgraded to 3.0.3.

And in-DAW automation is not an answer for the sustain pedal on a piano when playing piano.

• Milos
    Options

You can use automation for sustain as well.

I have it on my Cakewalk.

• Milos
    Options

Just be more experimental with automation.

If you mess up something, just click on the Undo on the project.

• fluffy
    Options

Yes I know how to do that, but that's not a natural way to play piano.

• fluffy
    Options

Okay I figured out what's causing it, for some reason the first knob is getting set to CC 64:

What I can't figure out is how to stop this from being the default.

• Milos
    Options

With that, I don't know.

I tried my best.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,738 mod
    Options

@fluffy If you're using a MK1 keyboard, using Komplete Kontrol 3.0.3 might bring some issues, since the keyboard is no longer supported. We recommend to use 2.9.6: Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 - Last VST2 supported version

Not 100% sure if it's related to your issue though, so a few things to check:

If you open Komplete Kontrol in standalone, do you have the same issue?

If you click on that x here, it should remove the MIDI assignment. If you do that, does it come back the next time you open the Komplete Kontrol standalone application?

Also make sure that in Controller Editor, there's no other assignment for CC 64 on the knobs.

• fluffy
    Options

It happens even when I'm using controllers other than my Komplete Kontrol S88 (which is an mk1 but which I am in the process of selling and is no longer connected to my computer).

And yes I figured out that I could remove the controller mapping, but the problem is that it keeps coming back as the default mapping even on a brand-new project. It also occurs in the standalone Komplete Kontrol app, and does not go away.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@fluffy What other controllers are you using?

• fluffy
    Options

Casio Privia PX-S1100, Akai MPK47

It does seem like some bad configuration happened but I’m not sure how to fix/reset it.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

If you clear the CC64 MIDI assignment then disconnect these controllers, does the assignment come back?

• fluffy
    Options

The assignment comes back every time I create a new instance of the Komplete Kontrol plugin, regardless of which controllers are plugged in at the time.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@fluffy Ok, so you mean that the assignment only appears when you load Komplete Kontrol as a plug-in in Logic? If you remove the MIDI assignment and open the Komplete Kontrol standalone application, does it also appear?

If this happens only in Logic, there might be unwanted MIDI settings there, Logic has a lot of possibilities on that regard. Did you update to Logic 10.8.1? This latest update fixed a lot of issues regarding MIDI and our keyboards.

If that still does not fix the issue, you could delete Logic's preferences, or move the file temporarily (on your desktop for example).

Here is the file:

Mac HD/Users/User name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist

Note: the User Library folder is hidden. To access it, click on Go in the menu bar and press down the Alt key. You'll now find the Library entry in the menu:

• mykejb
    Answer ✓
    Options

@fluffy I can partially duplicate this. I assigned a CC to a knob, closed/reopened KK and the CC was still assigned. I deleted the assignment (clicked the X), closed/opened KK and the assignment was back.

In my case, I could make the deletion stick by leaving the MIDI Learn page before closing KK. If I do that the first knob stays as unassigned. That's on MacOS Sonoma (Intel)

Doesn't explain where the original assignment of CC64 came from, but it might help you remove it.

-- Mike