Can't change octaves in Ableton Live 8 - using Maschine Mikro MK1

Options
Kelkashowz
Kelkashowz Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I'm using Ableton Live 8 and I'm trying to set up a drum rack in ableton that I can control with my Mikro. My problem is this:

When I build a drum rack, the Maschine Mikro pads don't line up with the notes - the pads hit a few octaves below. I can easily change this on my keyboard and control the drums that way, but I can not seem to be able to adjust the octaves for the Mikro - the pads that are lighting up in ableton are too low. I think all I need is to be able to adjust the octave that the Mikro is triggering so it lines up with my Ableton Drum rack.

Keep in mind I'm not too savvy when it comes to the technical aspects of Ableton and I have essentially no experience with the Mikro.

Any help would be amazing - I just want to play drums on that Mikro control pad!

Thanks!

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,947 Guru
    Options

Try this, it might help:

Record the drumbeat normally, and then inside the piano roll, change the octaves as much as you need by selecting the whole midi track.

Hope it helps.

• Kelkashowz
    Options

Thanks for the thought but I currently can not control my drum rack at all with my Mikro - it isn't hitting the right octaves. When I look at the grid layout for the drum rack, the drum patterns are sitting a few octaves above where the Mikro pads are hitting

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,947 Guru
    Options

Well then try to record it like that and then you can try to manually change the octaves inside the piano roll.

It might help.

I hope so.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,886 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Use Group+Pad, it changes the Pad Page, each page as different notes, in ascending order, similar to transposition.

Or... you can just use Controller Editor and create a custom Pad Layout that has exactly the notes you need.

Recording anything without being able to hear it is not a propper solution tbh

• Kelkashowz
    Options

No luck. I’ve tried the group+pad mode if that’s what you mean and it doesn’t seem to allow me to change anything.

I do see that on pad 15 it says “octave -“ and on pad 16 it says “octave +” I feel like if I could engage those options than I could adjust the octaves and have the pads hit the right notes. The octave options appear in grey - any idea how I can engage those options?

re controller editor - I’m not familiar with that and don’t see it as an option on the Mikro

I appreciate your help with this!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,886 mod
    Options

I do see that on pad 15 it says “octave -“ and on pad 16 it says “octave +”

That only works when controlling Maschine software, it's not meant for MIDI Mode.

No luck. I’ve tried the group+pad mode if that’s what you mean and it doesn’t seem to allow me to change anything.

That's is very odd, something is wrong on your system...

re controller editor - I’m not familiar with that and don’t see it as an option on the Mikro

Install it from Native Access 2, it will allow custom templates and will be easier to understand what the Group Change does. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/native-access-2/