Traktor 3.5.2 Application (not audio) Lagging on new MSI-ALpha /Ryzen 7 5800 / Windows 11 / 64GB RAM

2»

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,039 mod

This are the latest drivers who seem to be also for your laptop as far as I can see.

Uwe

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro

Things to try... I suggest in this order.

Turn off USB sleep in power options and for each port in the Device Manager.

Defragment the drives if they are HDD. I think there is still an option to check health of the drive if SSD.

Try using a powered hub.

Disable windows indexing when using Traktor.

Enable write caching on each drive. (I suggest this last because a crash could cause data loss, although I think it has more to do with saving files and projects for office type work.)

To enable write caching, Open Device Manager and select the port the select Policies. A Better Performance option is there with a short explanation. I used this on my drives before I had SSD.

And last, get a bigger drive or split files between drives to leave more room on the drive. I think it is suggested to leave 10 percent space on a drive.

I haven't had any loading issues using a powered hub with 3 ext drives connected and USB sleep disabled on all.

I'm using Windows 11,

Asus ROG G14

3.30 ghz ryzen 9 5900Hs

40gig ram, 39.4 usable

I have 3 music drives, none are over half full.

Hope something works!

Oh and also try updating your USB drivers from the Device Manager, windows updates don't always do all available drivers. I use iobit Driver Booster application and have about 4 drivers a month to update.

• JoeLava
    JoeLava Member Posts: 11 Member

@zephry Thanks for the ideas. Here are my Notes

• Turn off USB sleep in power options and for each port in the Device Manager.
      • have been doing this for years = Complete
    • Defragment the drives if they are HDD. I think there is still an option to check the health of the drive if SSD.
      • Hmmmm, been a while since I worried about this. Windows is supposed to maintain this = I will check to see if this helps
    • Try using a powered hub.
      • Interesting Idea = I will try this
    • Disable windows indexing when using Traktor.
      • Yes, have been doing this for years = Complete
    • Enable write caching on each drive. (I suggest this last because a crash could cause data loss, although I think it has more to do with saving files and projects for office-type work.)
      • Yes, this is part of setting properties for "better performance" rather than "easy removal" = Complete
    • To enable write caching, Open Device Manager and select the port the select Policies. A Better Performance option is there with a short explanation. I used this on my drives before I had SSD.
      • Yes = Complete
    • And last, get a bigger drive or split files between drives to leave more room on the drive. I think it is suggested to leave 10 percent space on a drive.
      • These are 5TB disk drives that are 60% full. Good advice = Complete as having 2TB free should be plenty of space for the drive to do its thing. This was never an issue in Traktor 1.0, but only in 2.0 and 3.0
    • Summary
      • I work on the powered hub and defragmentation

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro

Hope you can speed it up. Waiting for tracks to load is distracting. I know the feeling playing at a friend's house off Beatport streaming with a slow connection.

• leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 259 Guru
    edited April 2022

250,000 tracks?

You'd have to play those end to end for over two years. I just don't understand the reasoning for anyone needing access to all of that at any one time.

I understand the paranoia of having all bases covered, but I've been doing weddings and private events for more than ten years and have never needed more than 10,000 tunes at any one time.

Every event is different so you'll never please everyone and you'll always get requests for something you don't have.

The trade off in time saved for having 5-10k tunes analysed and cue points set vs. 250k where more than 95% of those that aren't analysed, is huge.

• JoeLava

@leesinthemix I 100% agree with your commentary except this is not based in paranoia. Maybe it would cause it for you but not here. I have been DJing for 35 years part-time and have done almost 1000 gigs. I have a playlist called "Top 150 No Slow" which means you could blindfold me and drop me into a gig. I could deliver an excellent performance with 150 songs plus a few slow ones if needed. That said:

Traktor Pro (OLD) and Traktor 1.0 never had a database indexing problem or application performance issue. To restate my thread. This is NOT an audio latency issue. The audio quality is great. Traktor 2 and Traktor 3 do have indexing and performance issues. I ran 250K+ songs on an I3 with 8GB until 2 months ago running Traktor 1. x! That was about 5-8 years!

• Examples: James River Media Center and Virtual DJ, just to name two, have no application, external drive, or audio issues. I did a homecoming dance this past Saturday flawlessly with Virtual DJ. Traktor 3's audio engine is a bit better but only noticeable to DJ's not people dancing.
    • I work in the IT industry by day. I am not a developer but my technical configuration should not impact performance. This is almoe the best you can buy. The word on the street is that the 3.X version of Traktor is a re-skinned 2.x version. This would make sense since the application issues persist.

I love NI! I have invested about 15 years in the platform. Tons of intellectual property of mine is on the platform. Virtual DJ is $300 plus all my time to switch. I suspect Virtual is written in a more current technology just like our other main competitors

Appreciate your point of view and advice. Please keep it coming.

• JoeLava

@zephry Bought a new powered hub. Will try it this week on one of my gigs