Getting KOMPLETE KONTROL S88 to work with REAPER

Options
Raphael J.
Raphael J. Member Posts: 2 Member

For some reason I cannot get my KOMPLETE KONTROL S88 keyboard to work with my DAW which is REAPER.

It is a shame spending 1000Euros on the KOMPLETE KONTROL (keyboard) "just to create MIDI events" and not being able to use the 2 nice screens for what NI claims they can be used if you use KOMPLETE KONTROL (software).

Connected to my PC using REAPER using KOMPLETE KONTROL plugin as a host for KONTAKT has so far only messed up my sessions:

• KK software will load the wrong version of KONTAKT so certain libraries won't play
  • KK software is present on my system also in 2 different versions (3.0.2 and 2.7.2) which does not make things easier as both behave differently.
  • REAPER does not recognize KK keyboard even though the driver package has been installed.
  • Using the "exotic" method of copying the "Driven by Moss" driver leads to point 1 in this list.
  • Besides, when loading any of both KK software dlls, the blooming thing starts scanning for VST plugins each time, waisting precious time again of course deducted from the creative workflow.

WASTING TIME trying to "get it to work" instead of being able to make music is no option!

So for the time being I can "only" use KK keyboard as a MIDI events generator using KONTAKT as a plugin

and routing 16 tracks to it...

Page 16 in the KOMPLETE KONTROL Manual explaining the workflow assumes you got the KOMPLETE KONTROL (keyboard) already working which at this stage seems like science fiction to me as a REAPER user.

Any suggestions or help welcome.

Comments

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,840 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

If you are referring to Komplete S-series MK3 then Reaper support is coming !

Quote (1) : Yes Reaper counts, we are in early discussions with the team at Reaper, but cannot commit to a timeline yet when it will be released.

For older keyboards this might be of help , though not sure if and if then how much : https://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

• Raphael J.
    Raphael J. Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello PoorFellow,

Thank you for taking the time to go through my message. :-)

I'd like to clarify that I'm referring to the MK2 series, not the KK MK3 keyboard series.

Investing another 1200 Euros in transitioning to MK3 isn't feasible for me, especially considering the recent 1000 Euro expenditure on MK2. I believe many MK2 users share the same sentiment.

In my attempt to resolve the issue, I resorted to the unconventional method of copying the "Driven by Moss" dll to the user plugins folder. Unfortunately, troubleshooting took precedence over music creation.

Regarding loading KOMPLETE as a plugin, selecting sounds, and enduring the extensive VST scans, I encountered the first issue mentioned in my previous list: KOMPLETE loaded an older version of KONTAKT not compatible with the chosen library.

Furthermore, integrating KONTAKT as a plugin within KOMPLETE on a track in Reaper consumes a substantial portion of my screen real estate, all while failing to recognize the KK S22 MK2!

A frustrating ordeal, indeed!

If you knew the saga following my upgrade to KONTAKT 7 due to the undisclosed "Direct 3D 11.1 (Feature Level 11_0) or higher" requirement, leading to unexpected expenses on graphics cards, RAM, and a new motherboard (totaling almost 3000 Euros), you'd understand my exasperation.

It feels like I'm pouring money into a Native Instruments-shaped abyss.

It seems I'll be exploring alternative solutions.

Best regards,

Raphael

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,840 mod
    Options

Hi Raphael ,

Sorry , I can not make all your computer or software problems go away , I can only assist you as best I can as another user here in this forum...

While I do understand all your frustration and also that in this case it is caused specifically because of N.I. products , then some of it I think that you will not avoid by e.g. switching make / brand. The having to upgrade the computer all the time is an ailment that follows from a general attitude in the world from companies and 'consumers' alike with respect to how things are supposed to be. I remember not so long ago someone writing and telling that this game that is supposed to run on 8 GB RAM couldn't run stable with the DLCs even with 16 GB and that it needed 32 GB to be running stable ! I mean , that's just how things have become. Some games these days require more than 11 GB Video RAM to run the 4K resolution that people wants !

Prior to tinkering with your system it is always a very good idea to take a full system drive backup to revert to if your tinkering gives you any problems !!! I gather that you use Windows so you can get the Paragon Backup & Recovery Community Edition. Making a bootable recovery media while maybe not required here is as a matter of principle always a very good idea !

With respect to the KK software will load the wrong version of KONTAKT so certain libraries won't play then unless that you need the old version of Kontakt then maybe you could just remove the old version ?

Same for the "KK software is present on my system also in 2 different versions (3.0.2 and 2.7.2) which does not make things easier as both behave differently." If you do not need the VST2 version of KK then maybe you could just remove the old version ?

With respect to the "when loading any of both KK software dlls, the blooming thing starts scanning for VST plugins each time" then there were a forum post about that , so please consult that , especially if using escape is not enough ! 😉 : https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/17985/how-to-stop-komplete-kontrol-3-0-software-from-scanning-at-startup

Sorry that I didn't notice the "Driven by Moss" when writing my initial post !

Kind regards ! 🙂