Ozone 11 EQ – ask a Product Manager anything

Options
Kaiwan_NI
Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,608 admin

Discover how Ozone 11 EQ can elevate your mix in an Ask-Me-Anything session featuring its Product Manager.

Ozone 11 EQ at a glance

In case you missed it, Ozone 11 EQ, the latest equalizer plugin from our friends at iZotope, is now available for free download or as part of Komplete Start. It’s an essential tool that helps shape the impact of your tracks with the new Transient/Sustain mode, zero in on problem frequencies with the easy-to-use interface, and shape your stereo image using Mid/Side mode.

See it in action here:

Q&A

Curious about the power behind Ozone 11 EQ? Join us for an exclusive opportunity to have your questions answered by its creator in our Ask-Me-Anything session. Bill Podolak, a Senior Product Manager for Ozone, will provide firsthand insights into the features and functionalities of Ozone 11 EQ. He’s here to chat and tackle your questions from November 13, 2023. 

We're stoked to have our first-ever AMA host from iZotope. Say hello to Bill and let's give a warm welcome to Bill in the community.

Shoot your questions his way.👇

Comments

• Bill_NI
    Bill_NI Product Team Posts: 7 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

@mister.producer on Instagram asked:

"Can i manually change the amount of phase linearity in this eq?"

Yes! You'll do this by switching to the Digital mode. From there you can open the advanced settings in the heads-up-display (looks like a little triangle pointing to the right), and each filter can be continuously adjusted from linear phase (0%) to minimum phase (100%).

• Bill_NI
    Options

@tonimanseicher on Instagram asked:

"does Ozone 11 EQ support multichannel?"

No, it doesn't. The Ozone EQ only supports mono and stereo. If you're needing multichannel support, Neutron 4's EQ supports up to 7.1.

• Bill_NI
    Options

@pedro_vanzeler on Instagram asked:

"I adjust the phase slider does it become completely linear phase? I try to avoid linear phase because of pre ringing but on the masterbus a 30Hz Hpf sometimes helps"

Yes, at 0% in the digital mode, the filter will be totally linear phase.

• Bill_NI
    Options

@mario__lagos on Instagram asked:

"Is this plugin useful for mixing or only for mastering?"

It's useful for both! But it is designed primarily for mastering. You can see this in decisions like the default visible minimum and maximum dB range: +6 dB and -10 dB. In mastering we typically use small EQ moves, so this is more zoomed in. For mixing, you may want to make bigger EQ moves, and in this case you can scroll the dB axis to zoom out.

• Bill_NI
    Options

@violence_hh on Instagram asked:

"Why have you redesigned the maximizer’s interface? Maybe this is a change from version 10, I don’t know as I have used version 9 before. But anyway, I think the old convention with defining ceiling and threshold was way more intuitive than the new one with ”gain”. Any concrete reasons for this?"

We mainly wanted to make the layout more intuitive with a clear hierarchy of controls. In a lot of modules now, there's a big knob on the left and you turn it up to achieve the main purpose of the plugin. The rest of the controls supplement the big knob. This consistent paradigm and simplicity is really important for beginners. We're solving a problem with the old design where the Threshold bar is not obviously the most important control, and you turn it down to turn up the volume, which feels backwards. 

I totally understand how it might be frustrating to see changes made for this reason when you liked the old layout better, but in our beta testing we actually found that the vast majority of people prefer the new layout. Maybe it'll grow on you?

• itchy finga
    itchy finga Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Hi Bill,

I have downloaded and installed Ozone 11 EQ but both (32 and 64 Bit) VST folders are empty. I did a reinstall of the app but same.

I'm running on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8350U CPU @ 1.70GHz  1.90 GHz

Windows 11, latest updates installed.

No NI hardware.

I've googled this and found other users have reported this but no resolution.

Any ideas where the VST dll files are installed to?

• Kaiwan_NI
    Options
  • itchy finga
    itchy finga Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Hi Kaiwan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have uninstalled and downloaded Native Access from the link you've provided. I've installed Ozone 11 EQ again and both (32 and 64 Bit) VST folders are still empty. There is a iZOzone11Core.dll in the C:\Program Files\iZotope\Ozone Equalizer\Cores folder.

This is what I'm doing:

I'm using the program DDMF Effects Rack to scan for VST's. Once found the VST can be used as an audio effect for any audio playing on the PC. It worked fine when I used the iZotope EQ VST standalone a few months ago. Now, when I scan the C:\Program Files\iZotope\Ozone Equalizer\Cores folder I get the message that says no VST found. Same when I scan the C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32 bit and C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit folders.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Options

Hi @itchy finga looks like you're trying to find VST2 .dll plugin component? Ozone 11 EQ is available as a VST3 plugin only: System Requirements

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,945 Guru
    Options

I like this EQ plugin a lot!

Though, it would be nice to have a feature for stereo editing, to edit first eq from L channel and the other eq from R channel.

• kerrysmith
    kerrysmith Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hi Bill. Great work on Ozone. I've been using it since version 4, and owned every version since 5. There's still something that I (and many of my music-for-picture colleagues) would love to see, and I might have mentioned it when v11 dropped.

Although we understand it is "for mastering", many of us use it on the mixes we send to clients, and when we make stems, the nature of Ozone makes it difficult to make stems that add back up to the sound of the approved full mix, when combined. Yes, generally there is a "film mix" afterwards, but the engineers aren't always going to do the extra work. They expect us to have done that. Plus, a lot of clients specifically ask for "mastered stems".

So, what would be really helpful would be a way to have Ozone react to a plugin sidechain input. The idea being that we could do our mix with Ozone, and then print back a mix into the DAW before Ozone processing. Then we route that pre-Ozone mix to a sidechain bus that Ozone trigger from/reacts to, while processing its audio input, which would only contain the elements that we may have soloed to make a stem.

Example - killer mix. Solo the 808 for a sub-bass stem. Normally, (keeping the same settings as the mix) Ozone would over-react to all of the sub-only content coming at it. But if it was reacting to the full mix, while applying that degree of processing to the 808, then hopefully when the stems are re-assembled, everything sounds correct.

• Bill_NI
    Options

Hi Milos, glad you like it! Good news - Ozone EQ already has that feature! You can click the venn diagram circles in the header to reveal the channel processing modes. Then select Left/Right and you can edit separate EQ curves on the L and R channels as you described.

• Bill_NI
    Options

Hi Kerry, thank you for using Ozone! Yes, this request makes sense. We will consider this for future versions.

• Cutsville2031
    Cutsville2031 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi Bill,

I don't believe it is a good idea to mess with peoples sound when mastering. Baring this in mind, what can Ozone 11 do for me?