Midi Sync

Options
Salcedito
Salcedito Member Posts: 27 Member

Hi! I need to sync my MK3 with an Akai MPC Live. Is there a way to sync clock only and not trigger? I mean, I don’t want the akai to trigger the Maschine, i wanna be able to start and stop whenever I want, but i need it to be tempo synced.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Ableton Link usually has the choice if you want to sync play/stop or not.

Now I can’t recall if Maschine and MPC Live 2 (both have Abketon Link) implemented it and I’m not at home, but when I’ll be back I can check for you, if you haven’t discovered it yet

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Ableton Link usually has the choice if you want to sync play/stop or not.

Now I can’t recall if Maschine and MPC Live 2 (both have Abketon Link) implemented it and I’m not at home, but when I’ll be back I can check for you, if you haven’t discovered it yet

• Salcedito
    Options

Thanks, i still haven’t figured it out.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Ok. Checked.

MPC Live 2 has Ableton start/stop sync, but Maschine never implemented it. Therefore in my tests what you want (sync clock but no trigger) is achievable. In facts, it works that way no matter if I enable A s/s s or not on Live 2. Is it working differently for you?

• Salcedito
    Options

Thanks, I currently am not an Ableton user, so I guess I'm gonna have to install it? Another question is, I was hoping to achieve this by connecting both via MIDI cable, is that possible?

Thanks again,

• LostInFoundation
    Options

No need for Ableton. They were so generous to make their Ableton Link “protocol” free to implement for every developer that wants to add it. It works on the apps that implement it, no need for anything else.

If you want to use MIDI cable, you will not use Link (it works via Wi-Fi), but instead you have to set up midi clock slave/master