Hardware and software need to be ported into iPadOS

Options

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

Maybe 10 Mikros vs 1 M+ is not more on revenues.... NI might have very low margin on Mikro. Most of the cost is production, marketing, distribution, .... Margin would be pretty low, I guess. It is entry model to atract new user who will possibly buy plugins and later on more expensive gear...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,286 Guru
    Options

This is something users should care about very much. Such a new environment could bring us the features we want at a much more rapid pace.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • nightjar
    Options

Methinks you're replying to Kubrak with such a comment...

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Kubrak
    Options

@nightjar

Such a new environment could bring us the features we want at a much more rapid pace.

Speak for yourself. Focusing on iPad brings me nothing positive. I vote against. I do not want anything like it. Apple Silicon Hell is just enought for many comming years.

• nightjar
    Options

Apple had this tidbit revealed this week regarded upcoming iPadOS:

• Virtual memory swap: iPad storage can be used to expand the available memory for all apps and delivers up to 16 gigabytes of memory for the most demanding apps.

Coupled with an M1 chip, and how application windows can be handled & resized in Stage Manager... the path for "pro-level" apps running on an iPad is getting closer.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • nightjar
    edited June 2022
    Options

Yes, lots of obstacles to this really happening. Fun to dream sometimes..

Maybe after NI solves scalable/resizable GUI in general, then it becomes more possible.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited June 2022
    Options

Not sure how much of an impact this can have but yesterday this happened:

"We'll show you how to convert your existing Mac drivers without any code changes"

I'd guess making the HW just work as a generic MIDI controller for iPad/iOS would be a decent 1st step, id say there are zero chances of a complicated port happening if even the easy stuff doesn't happen.

Then again lot's was ported to Linux for the M+ so... who knows.

• nightjar
    Options

Thanks for sharing this info on DriverKit... I hadn't caught that yet.

And the blurb mentions real-time audio in particular... some fun stuff will be coming from someone soon enough if not NI.

• Kubrak
    edited June 2022
    Options

I have already mentioned it. Money. Applications for iPad have fraction of price of ones for Mac/PC. And ones for iPad may be installed on Mac....

And I put aside the fact, NI would have to completely rework and rethink UI. Which might be 70% of Maschine code, I guess.

• nightjar
    Options

Here's an audio app that just announced it's making the move to iPadOS:

From the announcement:

"Scaler is a multi award winning music theory workstation used by many of the worlds top producers from Carl Cox to Jean Michelle Jarre to MJ Cole. We are fortunate enough to have a wonderful community of over 100,000 users.

We've redesigned some of the menus to take advantage of the iPad screen real estate and touch functions and completely integrated it via export states, wireless and wired connections, inter app audio, Audio mixer integration, Audio Unit and GarageBand compatibility and all other ways you would want a high end iPad app to work and integrate into your setup and or live performance. 

It will be free to download and have a play with a total unlock of all features around $17."