Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Comments

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

I mean, that's just horrific. What an awful set of experiences. Really sorry to hear about that. Seems like lightning struck the same place again and again!

• Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 268 Advisor

Will the S mk 3's support aftertouch in maschine 2? 🤣

• TapTapDoubleTap
    TapTapDoubleTap Member Posts: 14 Member

Yeah honesty is the best policy but policies end up in the bin if the timing is wrong. ;) I've ordered it through NI so it comes when it comes I guess.

• ALDREAD
    ALDREAD Member Posts: 67 Helper
  • phynal
    phynal Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

thanks for all the thorough explanations, i didn't see an answer to this one yet.

Will there be a black edition (all black keys) of the mk3 keyboards?

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

Vagus Asks: "I already own Komplete 14CE - am I able to gift/transfer Komplete Select and the other included software if I already own it, if I've ordered directly from NI?"

I have a similar question. I own Komplete 14 Superdupercalifragilisticexpialadocious (that's the Komplete with everything) and a bunch of partner/3rd party titles, so the "Freebie Komplete" is not worth anything to me as is. I have scads of these that I don't even bother to register, because as I said, "not worth anything as is".

What I WOULD like is a significantly meaningful discount on a 2nd license of Superduper. ...or a discount on Komplete 15 Superduper, when it comes out (maybe) later this year.

I'm one of those folks who could EASILY have Komplete running on two desktops and three laptops, with a mix of Windows and Mac. If I'm paying 850 bones US for a MK3, I'd like something to help me with that extra cost of a 2nd Komplete license. Or a 2nd license of Maschine. Or a 2nd license of every NI-published title in my library on Native Access. Or better yet, just an expansion of my current license to allow up to 6 or 8 computers with up to 2 in use concurrently.

The good news is that for all that, nobody would have to invent faders or put 16 knobs on a chassis. 😉 The bad news probably is that it has to do with MONEY. But hey, I just thought I'd ask.

Again, thank you for the AMA!

• thronechild
    thronechild Member Posts: 14 Member

I have some questions on midi controlling 3rd party hardware/software, not DAWs.

Day 1 launch, If I read right, If used as a generic midi controller, I understand the mk3 will only send midi on USB C, unless that is physically unplugged from the device and the mk3 is powered by the wall and a midi cable is plugged in? There is no option on the mk3 to select the midi output instead of USB? or Can we leave both Midi Din and USB plugged in and switch without unplugging something?

Is there only one lane of midi sent over USB or are there multiple 16 channel lanes? Mk2 appeared to have a few different names in its ins/outs in midi settings, never figured out the difference of each.

Day 1, If you are running KK software, will we be able to specify if midi is running to USB/DIN or both in the config settings? If not is this planned?

Day 1 midi controller template is limited to 1 device with two pages and 16 knobs, is that correct? But that will be expanded down the road to allow device profiles and additional parameter pages? Will that be able to be setup from the mk3 device or only on the computer?

Generally are we able to change midi channel for either USB or Midi Din and knob cc assignments and/or knob names from the mk3 when used as a generic midi controller, or only from software?

Are we able to filter midi input/output channels in the settings?

On Day 1, with KK running, are we going to be able to see all midi devices recognized by the computer and have the ability in settings to enable/disable midi input and output? Which would allow us to send midi data to multiple destinations or receive from multiple destinations.

Will keyzones/light guide/switches/scales/Arp/smart play functions be available to the midi controller templates eventually?

I see a + button in your screenshots for the Kontrol software, are we able to setup instrument layers, or is that only for adding effects? Same question, will kontakt can layer instruments, and is this able to be done from the mk3 with all configurations for midi channel etc from the mk3?

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 282 Pro

After looking at quite a few youtube demo vids it is unclear to me whether light guide works fully with Kontakt including displaying a representation of the virtual keyboard showing note range and articulations? Has this already been answered?

• marzzz
    marzzz Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Just placed a pre-order for an S88 MK3 to replace my ancient Kurzweil MIDIBoard, which just bit the dust. I like the aesthetics of the keyboard, but I am hoping that the Fatar keybed will satisfy my piano-playing needs.

• Super8boy
    Super8boy Member Posts: 85 Helper

This would be a very useful feature if it could be worked out and enabled especially with a 25 to 49 version around the corner.

hopefully a Q3 2024 update… ?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,830 mod

@Vagus

I already own Komplete 14CE - am I able to gift/transfer Komplete Select and the other included software if I already own it, if I've ordered directly from NI?

Yes but if you had Komplete 14UCE as an upgrade from Komplete Select that could be a problem. In that case, you might be able to sell / give only the keyboard and the user would get the Komplete Select automatically. In any case, better to check with my colleagies from Registration: https://bit.ly/NIsupport_RA

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,649 Expert

The S Mk3 does have two USB-C ports, but one is only for powering the unit. There are no USB A ports, like on the M+, to connect other MIDI controllers (e.g. for faders, touch contrls) or hardware synths.

How should external gear be hooked up while using the Mk3

1. with a computer?
    2. in standalone mode?
  • 67maxx
    67maxx Member Posts: 17 Member
This discussion has been closed.