why aren't the updates for Maschine software and standalone released together?

Options
NeoLove
NeoLove Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

This is the third time I encountered this same issue. I fear updating Mashine, I bought the PLUS or standalone version. Every time an update is released either on the software or the hardware, they never match the other one. So if I update the sofware and go to update the hardware, it's never the same number. If I update the hardware and then go to update the software same issue. The software is always updated months before the hardware firmware update is available. Once the new version of the software is available, the older version is not. The only way I can get the older version is contacting NI support and creating a ticket. Is there an easier way of being able to select which version I update the software to? Whenever I update I'm usually down for a day or a few days until NI support finally gets to my ticket and sends me the link to the older software. This is extremely aggravating to the point I try not to ever update the product. But as a customer I should be able to update and be secure in the fact that my product will work afterwards. Anyone questioning whether to buy Maschine or the Maschine+ should definitely consider this. I also would like to know if any other Maschine+ users have encountered this and what are your solutions for avoiding this when updating.

Tagged:

Comments

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 103 Advisor
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yes, I have noticed this as well. For this reason, I use M+ standalone and software+controller separately (independently). This is the only way how I can continuously update and keep everything working consistently. At some point, I decided having latest updates is more priority for me.

• NeoLove
    Options

Do you have another controller besides the M+? Because I can't even use it in controller mode once the versions are mismatched.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited July 2023
    Options

@NeoLove

Once the new version of the software is available, the older version is not. The only way I can get the older version is contacting NI support and creating a ticket.

You can simply copy your Maschine 2 .app/.exe and your MAS plugins somewhere, so if you want to revert back just copy them back overwriting the update. Just be aware that projects saved in recent versions don't always open in older versions.

NI should allow choosing versions in Native Access or just provide a link list with downloads for all versions, especially since there are incompatibilities and often new versions have bugs. Instead, every time there's an update they prefer dealing with 1000 people manually asking for links... Why they do it like this seems to defy logic and common sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

This is extremely aggravating to the point I try not to ever update the product.

Understandable, but then you depriving yourself of bug fixes, pretty much every update has them.

So if I update the sofware and go to update the hardware, it's never the same number. If I update the hardware and then go to update the software same issue.

I'd say what matters is if both versions are compatible or not. As of now, there are 2 incompatibilities I am aware of, Reaktor and VST3.

It's 2.16.1 on the M+ and 2.17.4 on the computer probably because all updates in between only had changes for the PC version that even apply to the M+ standalone. Accessibility for the visually impaired, VST3, AAX, ASS plugin stuff, apple silicon etc... I'm guessing they will only update the M+ to match the PC version when either the VST3 or the Reaktor incompatibilities are sorted.

Why because of the VST3 and Reaktor Issues?

• NeoLove
    Options

I'm not sure why the mismatch causes it not to work but it did. However I went ahead and updated anyway, the versions are still mismatched but it actually still worked this time. So I guess you were right. So far so good. Thanks for the reply.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,358 Expert
    Options

This makes no sense, because in controller mode the software version of the M+ doesn’t matter at all!

Do you have the most current firmware on your M+? (Best note all version numbers from the version info screen)

• NeoLove
    Options

It actually did matter at first because when I told NI support what was going on the first time this happened, I had no clue what the problem was. They ask me what version each was running. When they saw that it was a version mismatch they sent me the older version of the software drivers and instructions on how to roll it back and that solved it. But like I said this time it actually is working now even with the version mismatch. But the previous two times it did not connect.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,307 Expert
    edited July 2023
    Options

Can I ask you if you can confirm latest versions work together? 1.4.5 on the M+ and 2.17.4 on the computer give no problems? (Presuming you are just talking about your problem in controller mode. I don’t think that a project made in 2.17.4 computer can be opened in 1.4.5 M+, since it’s an older version. Can you confirm also this?)

I’m asking because like you, to maintain compatibility, I never update the software on computer.

And yes…I do agree with you that they should manage this mess they are creating with this…but I frankly think that, in a typical NI style, they just don’t give a f of people who spent a lot of money in their M+, simply because they don’t give a f anymore of the whole M+ situation. They had our money, now giving us the service we deserve is not of interest for them.

And I do agree also with @D-One : it would be so easy to just give the possibility to revert back to previous version in case compatibility is broken (at least for a case like this one). But their new mantra is “we need you to be on the latest version and be completely dependent from us”. They try to justify this with “to give you the best experience possible”, while the truth is exactly the opposite: lately being on latest versions gives us “the worst experience possible”, since frankly the least that can be said is that they are not working exactly in the best way that can be done, releasing softwares that cause a lot of problems and are surely not tested as they should.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,358 Expert
    Options

AFAIK, it is not possible that the Maschine SW Version matters because the M+ SW is not running when in controller mode, it’s not even necessary to have the power adapter connected.

There are three pieces of soft-/firmware each with their own versions on the M+, e.g.

• System Version 1.4.0.3
    • Maschine Version 2.15.1 (R7)
    • Firmware 0.1.9

AFAIK only the FIRMWARE might matter for controller mode, because the other two need to run on the M+ CPU.

You probably git a file to upgrade the Firmware, because that is not included in the M+ SW updates - something a lot of users overlook and may lead to odd bugs and problems.