Native Instruments Vst2 and Vst3 - Subfolders???

Options
rdalcroft
rdalcroft Member Posts: 174 Helper

Why don't native instruments vst's create a "Native Instruments" Sub folder with in the VST folder location for both VST2 and VST3 locations?

Just about every other vst company creates its own subfolder, its tidy, instead of having a load of vst files from various vendors.

Here is my issue: I select all Native instruments vst's and put them in to its own subfolder labled "Native instruments"

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins (original location)

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\Native Instruments (new Location)

Now when I open native access, it cant locate them, even when I change to the new location. even reinstalling does not recognise the new location?

I can't do this for vst3 either because there is no option for this???

Can we please from now on set the standard for installing VST's onto their own Company specific subfolders.

Is there a way around this, that wont mess up updates, or break the ability for native access to locate vst's

Best Answers

• rdalcroft
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Update:

I had to reinstall the plugins with exclamation marks, it was the only way for the new location to be updated in the new VST2 subfolder. The relocate function seems to be broken, as it states "invalid path or directory"

But the issue still remains for the VST3 folder. The reinstall put all the VST3's back to the default location. This needs to be changed to either, let the user pick a location, or have Native Instruments create the folder automatically like most other vendors.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,373 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK. Back to your problem. It can be fixed but you need to use Registry.

• Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\
    • Find the all the entries you want, one by one, and add path manually, like this:
    • Ignore Native Access silly messages. You don't need any "repair". (however, you must do it when a new update arrives.)

Hope that helps. :-)

Answers

• rdalcroft
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Update:

I had to reinstall the plugins with exclamation marks, it was the only way for the new location to be updated in the new VST2 subfolder. The relocate function seems to be broken, as it states "invalid path or directory"

But the issue still remains for the VST3 folder. The reinstall put all the VST3's back to the default location. This needs to be changed to either, let the user pick a location, or have Native Instruments create the folder automatically like most other vendors.

• rdalcroft
    edited June 2023
    Options

And if you are wondering Why? I want this. Some DAWs do not group Vst's into Vendor folders automatically.

Ableton for one, will not group loose Vst2's into Vendor's folders automatically, it will for Vst3's.

You have to have them in a subfolder, for vst2's, before they become grouped in a folder in the Ableton browser.

• Sunborn
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello,

VST3 plugins have a standard location for everyone and for every software (as it should be!), at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

This, can not be change. Off course you may add more folders, but you must to declare them on every software.

By the way, this is something long waited you know, because for so many years we had the VST2 mess-up, folder here, folders there, other folders on other locations etc etc... a paranoia.

The paths on Native Access Settings, are not for the VST3 plugins. Only for the VST2.

Unfortunately Native Access is a bad program who does not give a sh.... for what the user wants.

I have the same problems all the time, because simply, i always delete the damn VST2 versions and keep only the VST3 when possible. And every time, Native Access gives that "error" and ask for "Repair". And then i want to scream loud, "I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN VST2!!! Neither the Avid .aax!". Just ignore it!

We must demand that Native Access stop doing silent install and give us the option to choose what we want! I don't want rubbish or anything that i don't use, on my computer, how clearly a user can say that? It might be either consider as a privacy violation.

• Sunborn
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK. Back to your problem. It can be fixed but you need to use Registry.

• Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\
    • Find the all the entries you want, one by one, and add path manually, like this:
    • Ignore Native Access silly messages. You don't need any "repair". (however, you must do it when a new update arrives.)

Hope that helps. :-)